Dumbest Game Show Question Ever

Oh… I could have sworn it was accepted because the question wasn’t specific enough… or something. Ahh well. I haven’t seen that episode since it was first released, so it’s not surprising that my rotting grey matter manufactured it’s own memory of the show :wink:

-dook of URL

Maybe you were thinking of this one:

Host : What is the capital of Ohio?
Cont.: That would be the letter O, Bob.

Can’t remember which sitcom it was on, might have been Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

LOL

Yes, I remember that one too, but it was the Cheers one I was thinking of. The fresh prince one was will & carlton vs. ‘jazz’ & some other guy… and Jazz was the one that gave the answer ‘O’. I just realized that I may be guilty of watching entirely too much TV.

-dook

Wallace and Grommit! Yay!!! But wait…isn’t that the chicken that’s a criminal?

To get back on topic, everyone knows bats are bugs. They are perhaps the best bugs in the whole wide world. So sayeth Calvin and everyone knows his word is gospel. (winky face deleted for political reasons)

HUGS!
Sqrl

BATS AREN’T BUGS!!!

I thought that was one of the better story lines Watterson came up with. Poor Calvin. What kind of grade would he expect, tracing the Batman logo and drawing fangs on it. I was wondering how long it would take before someone mentioned Calvin’s bat fiasco.

Calvin’s bat fiasco? What about Casey’s bat fiasco? And doesn’t the Penguin fly with his umbrella? (oops, that’s Mary Poppins.)

WRT - OP I’m kind of surprised they didn’t have Rocket J. Squirrel as an answer. Okay, maybe surprise they didn’t have any mammals to answer wrong either.

I saw the very beginning of Regis goes to New York tonight and they had a million-dollar question of, “when was New Year’s Day celebrated in the American colonies?” and the answers were Mar. 25, Dec. 1, Sep. 25, and July 1. Hardly common knowledge, to be sure, but for a million dollars? This one seemed almost psychological (i.e it seems too easy and there’s a lot of money at stake), but the guy simply didn’t know it. too bad.

… and my sister had a video where a majority of college graduates (although they were asked right around graduation, when most people’s minds are blank) could not explain why and how we have seasons.

panama jack

Recently on Who Wants to Be a Millionare the following question came up:

Which direction does the needle on a magnetic compass point?
a) North
b) West
c) East
d) South

The contestant hemmed and hawed over this one. She honestly did not know. So she phoned a friend. And her friend wasn’t sure either!

I could only sit there with my mouth open, watching this display of sheer idiocy. Moronic, simply moronic.

(Oh, and the contestant guessed “North”, which, of course, was the right answer.)

Sometimes you get to this little blank screen, and forget what you were going to post …

I was meaning to add a bit to the Cheers episode, since I actually spent at least some time watching the 4 episodes a day when it was real popular in syndication. Dook, perhaps a brief synopsis of the Jeopardy! episode might help :

Cliff finally gets to go to Jeopardy! to show off his knowledge. The categories (for Double Jeopardy) are US Post Office, Stamps, Beer, or some such and Cliff cleans up. He’s going into Final Jeopardy with at least 3 times the closest contestant. But he gets stumped on that answer, and writes that question. Alex Trebek says “Now, Cliff, unless you were a complete idiot and wagered everything …” to which Cliff replies, “Nope, only a moron would do that! Really, Alex, there’s, uh, no need to see my wager, is there?” And the wager (everything, of course) is revealed. At this point Dan Larroquette bursts in shouting, “Bull, I want to be your Love Slave!” (Oops, wrong sitcom-game-show connection).

I saw an episode of Jep recently where Alex used a really similar line before revealing the obvious winner’s wager. luckily, she won.

panama jack

OK,
There is a programme over here in the UK and Ireland called Family Fortunes, in the states it was called Family Feud.

Here are some of the answers. I kid you not

The following are ACTUAL answers given by contestants on "Family
Fortunes"in
the UK. If you’ve ever doubted that the families who appear on this show
are
of sub-human intelligence, doubt no longer - they are all morons and Les
Dennis is their King…
Q. Name something a blind person might use
A. A sword
Q. Name a song with moon in the title
A. Blue Suede Moon

Q. Name a bird with a long neck
A. Naomi Campbell

Q. Name an occupation where you need a torch
A. A burglar

Q. Name a famous brother and sister
A. Bonnie & Clyde

Q. Name a dangerous race
A. The Arabs

Q. Name an item of clothing worn by the Three Musketeers
A. A horse

Q. Name something that floats in the bath
A. Water

Q. Name something you wear on the beach
A. A deckchair

Q. Name something Red
A. My cardigan

Q. Name a famous royal
A. Mail

Q. Name a number you have to memorise
A. 7

Q. Name something in the garden that’s green
A. Shed

Q. Name something that flies that doesn’t have an engine
A. A bicycle with wings
Q. Name something you might be allergic to
A. Skiing

Q. Name a famous bridge
A. The bridge over troubled waters

Q. Name something a cat does
A. Goes to the toilet

Q. Name something you do in the bathroom
A. Decorate

Q. Name an animal you might see at the zoo
A. A dog

Q. Name something associated with the police
A. Pigs

Q. Name a sign of the zodiac
A. April

Q. Name something slippery
A. A conman

Q. Name a kind of ache
A. Fillet ‘O’ Fish (?)

Q. Name a food that can be brown or white
A. Potato

Q. Name a jacket potato topping
A. Jam

Q. Name a famous Scotsman
A. Jock

Q. Name something with a hole in it
A. Window

Q. Name a non-living object with legs
A. Plant

Q. Name a domestic animal
A. Leopard

Q. Name a part of the body beginning with ‘N’
A. Knee

Q. Name a way of cooking fish
A. Cod

Q. Name something you open other than a door
A. Your bowels

How’s this for a dead easy one…

This real “stumper” was on a game show here in Australia for $25,000.

Q. Which Italian revolutionary was hung in 1659 for practising witchcraft?

(uhhh, dunno???)

Not sure she phoned a friend on that one. But I DO remember her saying: “I know it’s not East or West.” I, too, sat dumbstruck through the whole episode. IIRC, she also had trouble with the previous question, where the answer was: “pink elephants”.

Good ole Regis was beginning to make fun of her (general lack of knowledge) when, out of the blue, she blurted out something like “Some say that there are quite a few things you don’t know either, Regis…” [Could that be true?]

She continued to struggle on basically nothing more than a wing and a prayer and, having exhausted all of her lifelines (and her luck), she left the show with $64,000. Truly amazing.

Uh. Yeah, actually. I haven’t a clue.

I am an Anatomist. It is just something that bugs me. It is technically not correct because thigh is the name of the body segment, not the bone. It is not accurate and Jeopardy seems to be something that is always accurate. That’s all. But, I am over it, I do not stay up at night writing angry notes to Alex. :slight_smile:

Family Feud queston.

Q: In which month does a pregnant woman begin to show?

A: September

*handy: On Chance of a Lifetime, the first question for a blond woman [who was rich too] was, ‘A rolling stone gathers no what?’

She thought at first, could be dust, might be grass, so she went with ‘dust’. That was worth $10,000 too. IM not kidding.*

Oh, God! I saw that! I couldn’t get my mouth closed, it was so far agape.

And last night’s “WWTBAM”: I knew the million dollar answer. Again. Darn, I can’t remember last night’s question.

I did know that Jethro Tull won the first Grammy in the Heavy Metal category. That was worth $1,000,000 last year some time.

My favorite question was from the Newlywed Game. They asked the wives, “In your neighborhood, from what direction does the sun usually rise?” The first three wives answered West! The last one looked disgusted and said East. The husbands were then brought out.

Number 1 husband says East, wife said West. Loser.
Number 2 husband says East, wife said West. Loser.
Number 3 husband says East, wife said West. Loser.

Husband Number 4 by now has picked up on the pattern, so he of course says West. Wife starts beating him about the head and shoulders with the card. Bigger loser.

panamajack:

I hate to be a stickler, but as someone who could not get enough of Night Court I have to make a small correction.

John Larroquette played Dan Fielding in the show.

OK, thank you, back to the OP.

OOH, If only they would have a doper on WWTBAM and they ask a heavy metal question for a million dollars again. Regis, I think I’ll use my lifeline. I want to call my friend, Satan. Hold on while AT&T connects you.

HEHEHE. That would be too funny.
HUGS!
Sqrl

You are probably thinking of the final scene. Alex Trebek happens into Cheers and Cliff starts talking to him. Trebek, in an obvious attempt to placate the crazy person tells Cliff that the whole incident has shaken his faith in the process. Never had he realized that there might be more than one answer, etc.