Fictional characters with state names

Montana Wildhack from Slaughterhouse Five (book and movie).

Kentucky Jones
Grady Sutton played “Alabam’” in a series of “Boy Friends” short films.
In the radio version of Hopalong Cassidy, his sidekick was California Carlson, played by Andy Clyde.

A number of characters named Arkansas, most notably one played by Arthur Hunnicut in at least seven westerns in the 1940s. Also a character in the Sugarfoot TV series in 1957.

There’s also several named Kansas, likeKansas Sawyer in The Rifleman and Kansas Jones in a couple of westerns.

This is the one that jumped to mind for me when I read the thread title.

Her full name is Alabama Worley after she gets married to Clarence, but at the start of the movie her (maiden) name is Alabama Whitman.

Oh, good one.

Would you accept Fargo North, Decoder?

Another Nevada: Sparks Nevada, Marshall on Mars from the Thrilling Adventure Hour stage show, podcast, and now comic book.

And another Montana: in one episode of The Adventures of Brisco County Jr, there was a Utah Johnny Montana. (To quote the show, “It used to be Utah John Cougar Montana but he dropped the Cougar 'cause he thought it was pretentious.”)

What are you going to do with a last name like Washington, which is both a last name and a state?

In the movie I mentioned above, Identity, Dakota, Rhodes, Nevada, Washington, York, and Maine are all used as surnames. Additionally, the name “Lou Isiana” is distributed across a first name and a surname.

I could go into a lot of explanation, but I think I’ll just summarize it by saying this isn’t really what I’m looking for.

Ditto for this.

Nothing more than I’ve already done. I think some people don’t quite understand what I’m looking for. I want characters named the same as states, preferably their last name. But I only want one for each state. You can tell me about others and I won’t complain, but I’ll ignore it as far as putting them in my lists.

In the case of Washington, I already have one with that as a last name, so I don’t need any more. The fact that it’s also the name of a real person(s) is irrelevant. That applies to other names that are also real names (Montana, Maryland, and Vermont are ones I know of).

As far as the current lists, here’s what I have so far with all the additions people have provided above:

Last names
[ol]
[li]Arizona – Nathan Arizona :: Raising Arizona :: movie (1987)[/li][li]California – Robert California :: The Office :: tv show (2005-2013)[/li][li]Colorado – Nat Colorado :: Cowboys and Aliens :: movie (2011)[/li][li]Delaware – Canton Delaware :: Doctor Who :: tv show (3 episodes, 2011)[/li][li]Georgia – Ethel Georgia :: The Good Companions :: movie (1933)[/li][li]Idaho – Duncan Idaho :: Dune :: novel (Frank Herbert, 1965)[/li][li]Maine – Norman Maine :: A Star is Born :: movie (1976)[/li][li]Montana – Hannah Montana :: Hannah Montana :: tv series (2006-2011)[/li][li]Nebraska – Steve Nebraska :: The Scout :: movie (1994)[/li][li]Nevada – Wanda Nevada :: Wanda Nevada :: movie (1979)[/li][li]Oregon – Ukiah Oregon :: Alien Taste :: novel (Wen Spencer, 2001)[/li][li]Utah – Johnny Utah :: Point Break :: movie (1991)[/li][li]Vermont – Jane Vermont :: Ann Lee :: tv show (1 episode, 1994)[/li][li]Washington – Martha Washington :: Give Me Liberty :: comic books (Frank Miller, 1990)[/li][/ol]

First names
[ol]
[li]Alabama – Alabama Whitman :: True Romance :: movie (1993)[/li][li]Alaska – Alaska Young :: Looking for Alaska :: novel (John Green, 2005)[/li][li]Arkansas – Arkansas Ferguson :: Sugarfoot :: tv show (4 episodes, 1958-1959)[/li][li]Florida – Florida Evans :: Good Times :: tv show (1974-1979)[/li][li]Illinois – Illinois Gordon :: Hoodlum :: movie (1997)[/li][li]Indiana – Indiana Jones :: Raiders of the Lost Ark :: movie (1981)[/li][li]Kansas – Kansas Jones :: Cowboys from Texas :: movie (1939)[/li][li]Kentucky – Kentucky Jones :: Kentucky Jones :: tv show (1964-1965)[/li][li]Michigan – Michigan J Frog :: One Froggy Evening :: cartoon (1955)[/li][li]Minnesota – Minnesota Fats :: The Hustler :: novel (Walter Tevis, 1969)[/li][li]Mississippi – Mississippi Beaumont :: Savvy :: novel (Ingrid Law, 2008)[/li][li]South Dakota – South Dakota Slim :: Beach Blanket Bingo :: movie (1965)[/li][li]Tennessee – Tennessee Tuxedo :: Tennessee Tuxedo and His Tales :: cartoon (1963-1966)[/li][li]Texas – Texas Jack :: The Great Race :: movie (1965)[/li][li]Virginia – Virginia Otis :: The Canterville Ghost :: short story (Oscar Wilde, 1887)[/li][li]Wyoming – Wyoming Knott :: The Moon is a Harsh Mistress :: novel (Robert Heinlein, 1966)[/li][/ol]

I want to thank all the people who made suggestions, even if I didn’t use them. Keep up the good work.

The combined lists have 30 different states, so we have 20 to go. So don’t stop now. We can get them all, I’m sure of it.

Oh, yes, I forgot a couple of items.

I’m not interested in names like “Ken Tucky” and “Lou Isiana” as far as my list goes. Although it’s [del]cute[/del] interesting that someone came up with them.

Some names combine city and state names, and those may have someone who’s interested in them. I note “Reno Nevada” and “Sparks Nevada” above. Also “Ukiah Oregon” is one. (The Ukiah in Oregon is a very small place, much smaller than the one in California.) There may be others among the contributions above.

Oh, yeah, about “Fargo North, Decoder”, nope not interested.

[quote=“dtilque, post:29, topic:723072”]

[li]Georgia – Ethel Georgia :: The Good Companions :: movie (1933)[/li][/QUOTE]

nitpick - it’s a novel by J. B. Priestley that has been filmed several times.
North Dakota Pete
http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0427005/?ref_=fn_al_ch_1

As a lifelong Buckeye, I’m amazed there’s no character named “Ohio,” either as a first name or a last name, in any movie ever made, according to IMDb.com. Long overdue!

Can’t think of any literary character of that name, either.

The closest I can think of is The Cincinnati Kid.

I’m also surprised that nobody has used Virginia West or Dakota North as a name.

Probably would be rejected by the OP anyway.

Or maybe Cleveland Brown from “The Cleveland Show.”

Just watched Disney’s The Love Bug on cable. Buddy Hackett’s character was named Tennessee Steinmetz.

Indiana was the dog’s name:

A 1954 issue of the comic book Fighting American featured a Communist villain named Rhode Island Red.

Oklahoma Bones – 1982 parody of Indiana Jones.

Thanks for the additions. That brings the total to 33, so 17 more to go:

Connecticut
Iowa
Louisiana
Maryland
Massachusetts
Missouri
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
West Viginia
Wisconsin

BTW, if you find any last names of states that are on the first name list, I’d like ot hear about those, as well.