fuckers who don't have a clue about common courtesy in snowy regions

you didn’t answer the question.

Just call 311 they will take bylaw complaints.

Sorry, my bad. No, I wouldn’t do that, in all likelihood, (it’s just not who I am). But then, I don’t believe, for one minute, that everyone should behave like me. I just don’t harbour the illusion that my behaviour should shape anyone else’s.

What I would not do, is ever consider it ‘his/her’ spot, since I am aware that it’s not assigned parking. That’s because when I rented a place, without assigned parking, I understood the implications of that. And I accepted them. It would appear that you have been caught off guard by them, how is that?

so you wouldn’t bat an eye over someone who did so?

No, because I have already accepted that this is a possibility, because I am an adult who understood what ‘not assigned’ parking means.

Yeah, I might say, “Drat, thought I could get back in, in time!” but I wouldn’t be all butthurt over someone exercising their right to park anywhere they want, anytime. The same right I have.

but mysteriously you wouldn’t exercise that right in my question…

I don’t want to phone; I want to use the internet like a normal person. :slight_smile:

Your missing the point. I don’t feel that my behaviour obligates anyone to act in a similar fashion, unlike yourself.

I behave as I do, because of who I am. Others are free to act as they see fit. My expectations of their behaviour is related to my awareness of the reality that it’s not assigned parking. Not my wish that it ought to be, or that other should be more like me, or “But I shoveled the snow!”.

You knew it wasn’t assigned parking when you moved in, I assume. Now you’ve developed some emotional attachment to a spot you frequent and think it entitles you to call it ‘yours’, it doesn’t. Nor does moving the snow, sweeping it once a week, giving it a name, or painting your name on it.

It’s flat out, not ‘your’ spot. Get over it.

Just key the car, it’s what I’d expect if I parked in a space someone else dug out.

I agreed with elbows’ initial post - unassigned parking means catch-as-catch can.
You don’t get to claim sweat equity to a parking stall.

an seanchai
(posting from The Great White North)

Next time, do a crap job of shoveling, back the car out, go back and put snow back in the spot, and then leave for your errand. The spot ought to be car-free by the time you get back.

Bolding mine.

What unwritten code. Is this the same one where people place chairs on the street just to keep a public parking spot “theirs?”

I’m just so going to enjoy pointing out when every single one of you guys gets upset about some unwritten societal rule. MPSIMS is full of it.

That’s the reason I do what I do: you make other people feel like crap, so all I do is do the same thing back to you to make you feel like crap. I guess I’m hoping beyond hope that you’ll realize “Hey, this guy has made me mad, but he just did the same thing I did. Sure I’ll gripe at him, but at least I’ll be smart enough not to do the same thing he does.”

I’m still waffling on whether I should continue doing it, or just be nicer. But this is the pit, so heck yeah I’m doing it.

I still don’t even understand the point of shoveling a shared parking space. The only reason to shovel a driveway is because 1) it belongs to you 2) ordinances require you to do so 3) the potential to be sued if someone slips on your unshoveled property. What possible damage is your car going to sustain by being parked on top of snow instead of pavement?

What the fuck are you talking about.

It seems like some people here either do not live where there is snow, and therefore do not know what they are talking about, or do not drive, with the same result. I would not park in someone else’s spot. It is inconsiderate. If someone parks in my spot I will throw buckets of water on their car every ten minutes or so until they get back or the resulting ice is thick enough to satisfy my anger. It is an appropriate response.

Where I live we had 4 snow days in 8 days, over 3 ft of snow fell - three days in a row.

And no one I know, thinks they’re entitled to claim a spot because they dug their car out. You have to clear the snow to move your car wherever it’s parked, your drive, an assigned spot, the public street, the local mall, or your place of employment. Doing so does not entitle you to feel ownership of the location.

If I go to a messy beach and clear a spot of debris, when I get up and go for lunch anyone who wants can come and enjoy the fruits of my labour. I would be a complete fool to expect I am somehow entitled to go back and tell them “That’s my spot!”. Because it’s a public beach.

Like parking on the public street, or in an unassigned lot.

Seriously, if it gets you this hot, why is this not a deal breaker for where you’ll rent, like personal safety, or access to public transportation?

So, if I cut in front of you in line at a McDonalds while you’re distracted or something, I take it you wouldn’t be pissed? If you would be, why? I’m not doing anything wrong. There’s no rule or law that says I can’t skip you. It’s just common courtesy. You could complain to the manager but that’s just going to delay your order even more. If you feel it’s a big deal, go to a restaurant that takes reservations.

While the analogy is far from perfect, my point is that just because something isn’t wrong or against any rule doesn’t mean it’s the best or most courteous course of action. And while Watkins might not have any right to complain in the legal sense, I think he’s justifed in a bit of venting.

Your analogy isn’t apt. A better way to put it would be thus:

You are in the drive-thru line. You realize “oh crap, I forgot my money!” You exit the line and come back 15 minutes later, and get pissed off that the people behind you moved up.

^That is fucking irrational behavior.

Your analogy isn’t apt either. No customer puts in an unequal amount of effort in going to the drive-thru. The closest I can get with the drive-thru analogy is:

So, the only road to the drive-thru in your small town is blocked by a big pile of snow. You spend 20-30 minutes clearing it and are about to enjoy a nice juicy Burger-X, when you realize you forgot your wallet. Out of courtesy, the worker on shift tells you not to sweat it, that he or she will let you skip to the front of the line when you come back.

When you come back, you find the shift has changed, the new clerk has no idea what you’re talking about, and they’re also sold out of burgers.

…but this is getting silly. I already said my analogy wasn’t perfect but that it doesn’t have to be.