The usual winter parking gripe surfaces again.

I’d like to reproduce here the note I left on some fine person’s car a short time ago.

"Dear sir,

Thank you for taking the parking spot that I labored so hard to dig out. Thank you for making me park a block away from my home. It allowed me to slip, fall, and drop my 7-month-old son while I twisted my ankle.

You, sir, are a real classy guy. I just thought you’d like to know that. Both me and my son appreciate your kindness and goodwill."

Not that s/he will even be fazed by that. Anyone who does stuff like that doesn’t have much class anyway.

The story would have been better if you said you had deposited said note into his front seat.

After attaching it to a rock.

:smiley:

On a related note…

At least I didn’t have to dig out a parking spot today. I was waiting for a parking spot at my college for 5 minutes while someone warmed up their car.As they were backing out I moved closer ( I was on the side so traffic could get around me) This Asswipe comes speeding out of nowhere, goes around me and whips into the spot before I could.I waited until she walked out of the car, and polietly told her how rude she was for cutting me off while I’d been waiting.She looks at me in astonishment and sputters “I don’t know what you mean.” Ugh! Normally I just take the first spot I see, but dammit it was cold out and my hip was hurting today. I could probably get a handicap placard for my car, but I don’t want to deprive someone who needs it a lot more.I admit I was more amused then mad, I guess with balls that big it’s harder for her to walk than it is for me to limp.:rolleyes:

I don’t wanna sound like a complete asshole here, and I’m sorry you twisted your ankle and all that, but what’s the parking situation like? Was this on a public road, or are they assigned spots? If he took an assigned spot, then yeah, he’s an asshole. If he just happened to park in the spot you dug out and it’s on a public road, then he can’t really be blamed for anything.

However, considering the amount of labor involved in excavating some of these completely buried cars, I can easily see how someone would be enraged at someone else parking in it. It’s courting vandalism.

We finally dug out yesterday and drove around a bit. In the great Baltimore snow tradition, many a lawn chair occupied cleared parking spots. We also took a picture of a sign someone posted at the spot they’d cleared - when I get it developed and scanned, I’ll post it.

Coldfire, even when on public streets, it’s pretty classless to take a spot someone has labored to clear. There are places around here where snowfall and plowing resulted in piles of snow 3-4 feet high. If you bust your back moving that snow so you can get your car out, you kinda expect that the space will be available upon your return, as there are few, if any, other options.

I heard on NPR tonight that it was now a Boston tradition. Now it’s also Baltimore?

You all stole it (and the nasty lawn chairs and furniture) from Chicago!

(There’s no equivalent – likely ever in New York City - but we have hanky-wavers at baseball games so anything is possible)

That’s true enough, but here in Queens, NY (where people save spaces with garbage cans) , it’s also true that if I dig out my car and move it, when I get to my destination I’m parking in a spot someone else dug out. If I expect the space I dug out to be available when I return, then I shouldn’t leave unless my destination has a parking lot so that I’m not parking in a space someone else is expecting to have available. Which essentially means I shouldn’t use my car until the snow melts.

A couple years ago, there was a car parked in front of my house after a snowfall. The cars were supposed to be off the street or get towed, but somehow the car never got towed. I still had to shovel the 2’ high mound of snow from the front of my driveway, so I did.

Onto his car.

Have a nice day, jerk.

Nope–it’s a yinzer thing. You guys totally stole it from Pittsburgh! :smiley:

I see chairs on other blocks in town, but not on ours. I guess we’re just classier. :slight_smile:

I don’t think this asshole lives in the neighborhood, since most people are pretty respectful of parking spaces. There is at least one other person on our block with a baby, and our spaces are generally left alone. Also, there are a couple of businesses that have opened their parking lots to us for the duration, and most neighborhood people know about that.

Doesn’t make him any less of an asshole, though.

And, for the record, Aaron is okay. Airman managed to catch him so he wouldn’t hit the pavement.

Robin

They are using the chair holding technique in Philadelphia as well, but its rare to have to. Most storms we can get through due to an excellent snow clearing system, but this one was just too much. Someone stole my brothers spot yesterday and he dug out the one next to the guy…covering his car completely in the process.

Okay, I could be wrong here, but it seems as if I’d read that in cities like Chicago for instance, it just simply is NOT done to take someone’s already cleared parking space.

It’s some sort of unwritten law or something. And I believe that breaking that law has resulted in vandalism, fist fights and the like.

Back to the OP, I’m sorry that happened to you Airman Doors, maybe your next tour will find you in a spot with better housing and better parking? (pssssssst, you ARE a real Airman right? lol).

Well, i hope your ankle is OK and the baby wasn’t hurt.

This is an interesting issue for those of us who’ve never lived in a snow-bound city before. This is the first REAL snow we’ve had in Baltimore since i moved to the US, and as i saw people digging their cars out yesterday i actually wondered to myself about the etiquette of parking in a cleared space. After all, it was taking some of these people a good half-hour to get rid of enough snow to get their car out, and it would be a bit demoralizing to go to the store and return home only to find that your space was taken.

This morning i saw a few spaces with chairs in them, and i could see from a distance that a couple of the chairs had notes on them. I didn’t bother reading the notes, but i guess they said something like “I spent much time clearing this space, and would appreciate it if you did not take it from me.” Either that or “Park here at your own risk, lazy fucker.”

I’m a little ambivalent about the whole issue. While i understand the frustration of those who have dug their car out, the fact is that parking in a public space on a public road is everyone’s right. Exactly how long after you’ve dug it out does it remain “your” space? Until there are a few other spaces? Until all spaces have been dug out? Until the snow has all melted? The problem with this sort of culture and etiquette question is that so many people interpret what constitutes “appropriate behaviour” in so many different ways.

The line is much clearer in Qwisps case. I would have been tempted to tell the bitch that she had two options:

1. Drive away and let you have the spot that you had obviously been waiting for.

2. Walk away, and come back to a car with loooooooong key marks down the side.

On a somewhat related issue, what really pisses me off is people who “claim” public treet parking spots with chairs or garbage bins when there is no snow or anything like that. Just because you happen to live on this block, fucker, does not mean that you get keep a free spot even while you’re at work. I’ve seen this a few times in my neighbourhood over the past year or so, and i often wanted to drive around, move the bins, and park there just out of spite. (I know, i’m a bastard, but this sort of selfishness pisses me off.)

I heard the NPR bit as well. They mentioned the use of a spot keeper such as a lawnchair has evolved into buckets or whatever, just so long as you mark it with something, the implication being that having to acknowledge the spot has physically been marked should deter any squatter. Is this an option?

I’ve never seen the bucket/lawn chair phenomena in the Twin Cities. Our streets are cleared of all snow within 36 hours of even a gigantic snowfall, so maybe it’s a moot point to save a space that will be clear soon anyway. Either that, or it’s our vaunted “Minnesota Nice”.

Last year when Chicago got hit by a snowstorm I shoveled a path out to the street. I then cleared enough space on the street so that when the courtesy shuttle came to pick up my wife the next morning she wouldn’t have to try to walk through a pile of snow to get into it. The next morning I looked out the window to see a car parked so that its back end competely blocked the path I had shoveled. There was at least three feet of clear space in front of the car, so the only reason I could see for it to be parked that way was that it never occurred to the driver that somebody might actually want to walk into the street. I had to spend fifteen minutes digging out a new path around the back of asshole’s car. I then spent a few minutes rummaging in the basement for materials for a large sign which I stuck in the snow next to the path.

PLEASE DO NOT BLOCK THE PATH I SHOVELED SO MY HANDICAPPED WIFE CAN GET TO HER CAB.

In my perfect utopia, people with special parking needs, like those with babies, old people, and mobility problems not requiring handicapped parking would be able to get a parking permit from the city to allow them to park in front of their houses. It would be paid for through parking fines, since there will always be jerks who park where they shouldn’t.

Robin

bust your back again and shovel the ass hole in,cover his car, block him in front and in back. I like revenge

You’re not in St. Paul, I’m guessing… they don’t plow here unless we get 6" of snow, and even then, it can take a week.