The game called "Good Neighbor or !@#hole commences shortly.

I have on-street parking in front of my house, and like everybody else I have to dig my car out. It requires a certain amount of effort to do this, as anybody who has ever done it knows.

Now, strictly speaking the street is free for all to park on, but after significant weather I make it a point to avoid parking in a spot that someone else has dug out. Over the years I have noted that there are a few people that do not offer that same courtesy, they’ll park right in the spot that you spent an hour digging out and have no qualms about enjoying the fruits of your labor.

I hate this. It’s a game that nobody ever wins, and it always leads to bad feelings for all involved. This year’s game starts shortly. I can’t wait.

Brings to mind the one really bad blizzard we had some years back. I spent a couple hours digging out the neighbors car so I could make a fast run to get us both some ice and snow buster in the big bags. I got back and found a pick-up truck in the spot and nothing else within a block that I could use even for a few minutes. So I stashed the car in an alley, cleared a new spot by tossing the snow up and into the back of the truck, and then got the car and brought it back.

My back hurt but I felt this odd warm glow watching his springs sag. :slight_smile:

You’ll undoubtedly get the “THE STREET IS FREE PARKING FOR ALL!!!1!” people coming in soon.

Personally, if I were in charge, the law would be “the spot in front of your house is YOURS. If you have a second car, then that’s on you. But the spot in front of your house is absolutely sacrosanct. If you live in an apartment building, tough noogies.”

Living in this neighborhood drives me batty with the parking…

For the past 10 years, people in my old neighborhood in Philly have been marking their territory with lawn furniture, most often a plastic chair. Ever since 2 car households became the norm, parking spaces are worth more than gold, and violence has broken out over taking someone’s spot.

Thankfully, I live in a place with a driveway, which is plowed by my landlord, so I don’t have to worry about that stress anymore.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess? :smiley:

That’s the price you pay for living in a city with no residential parking. I don’t know how people have the strength to fight those parking battles every day. I live in a metro too, but I’ve never not had a parking space. Around here, even the apartment buildings have parking lots. I think if you pay for a place to live, you should be guaranteed at least one parking spot. I can’t imagine why anyone would actually want to buy a house without any private parking. Our little garage and driveway isn’t exactly palatial, but it’s ours.

Every once in a while you hear about people who move into a house beneath the flight path of a major airport suing over noise.

If you live in a spot that has more snowfall than street parking, and you have a car but not a paid reserved parking spot, why would you expect the universe to realign itself so you can live the movie cliche of always having your fantasy parking place available? Some people in your neighborhood probably choose not to own a car precisely in order to avoid your predicament. Or they take such factors into account when they choose a place to live.

On the other hand, I know a couple people who always put themselves in the way of stressful situations like this because they have a need to complain, or to occasionally pick a fight in order to prove their manhood. Usually to themselves.

Takes all kinds.

Coming from you thats the funniest damn thing I’ve read all month.

I know. Doesn’t mean I have to like it.

Uh oh, now you’ve done it. The OP would never have seen my post if you hadn’t quoted it.

The OP is griping about people parking in a spot that he’s cleared of snow, not of people who are parking in front of his house in general. A subsequent poster did mention that the spot in front of a house should be considered the parking area of the house’s owner, and I have to agree with that, though personally I have a garage and a driveway. It’s one thing if a neighbor has a party and the guests park in front of someone else’s house. It’s quite another if a neighbor has six vehicles and parking space for only one or two…that person is usually causing a continuous low-level annoyance among his immediate neighbors if he habitually takes up the spaces in front of their homes. Most places DON’T have separate parking garages for rent within walking distance, in fact I was gobsmacked to learn that people in NY, for instance, often park their cars in a garage and walk a few blocks to their apartments or condos. But a little consideration could go a long way.

Taking someone’s parking spot, after they’ve cleared the snow out of it and you know they’ll be back, is a jerk move.

I just went out and…okay, “dug out” isn’t quite accurate. I’ve ensured that I’ll be able to get it out of the space tomorrow morning, possibly. My great fear is that a plow will come through before I get out there to leave for work tomorrow and block me in again.

This is what garages are for. :slight_smile:

If I had a spot cleaned out and marked with a chair and someone took it I would turn it into a Calvin and Hobbs cartoon and make 4 snow officers to block the car in complete with ticket for rudeness on the windshield.

A couple of years ago we had a really big snow and I spent all day digging out my garage and the front of the alley. The snow pile meeting the street was taller than myself. I watched the plow driver deliberately NOT block the alley when he drove by. He angled the blade as he drove and pushed the street snow into the pile I had made.

Wanted to give him a medal.

I keep asking a variation of that in question form and I keep getting the answer “because I need my cars”. Wait - what part of the original question don’t you get?

A few blocks from me is a fairly normal Pittsburgh street named (PM me for the exact name if you want to Google it and see it for yourself). The lots are narrow - a little over a car length, across the street are garages belonging to another street (common design around here for alleys), no off-street parking for the residents - and the one family that moved in had one licensed driver, two cars and a pick-up truck. Another house has four cars but between three drivers who live there. Parking has gotten to the point that there are not just fistfights but last winter at least one baseball bat vs tire-iron serious mayhem approaching a riot fight with two entire households involved.

I’m not saying EVERY house has to have off-street parking, but you did actually look at the house before you bought it, right?

It’s not always an option. The house I live in now I moved into when I got involved with supervenusfreak. It’s his house…and nobody in his family drives, so parking wasn’t a consideration when he bought it. With my car, I brought some convenience into their lives, but a little bit of frustration into my own.

It’s a good trade-off. I get much more on the positive side than I give up on the negative. I do reserve the right to bitch, online and in meatspace, when people are parking spot pricks, though.

In the town where Airman and I live, it’s not essential to have a car, but if you want to work or shop in another town, you have to have one. Unlike Pittsburgh, the bus system in my county is geared toward commuters who work in Harrisburg, not toward people who don’t have a car. In other words, I can take a bus to downtown Harrisburg, but I can’t take one to the supermarket across town because there isn’t one.

Also, my neighborhood is populated with college students, so occupancy changes from year to year. In good years, few students bring cars, so parking isn’t a problem, but in other years, when many students bring cars, it is.

Frankly, my problem is with people who park stupidly. The guy who parked his car right on the corner is begging to get hit by someone who skids out turning from the alley.

I find that when I have a car, I can’t live without it. And when I don’t have one, I live without it.

How do you manage that? I assume you live in an area without a lot of off-street parking, like I do. About two hours ago, I shoveled myself out (of a space in front of a neighbor’s house)and ran few errands. At every stop, I parked in a space that someone else had shoveled out. If the space I shoveled out was taken when I returned, I would have had to park in a space someone else had shoveled out.

The whole concept of needing to park on the street but somehow avoiding using a space someone else shoveled really doesn’t make sense to me. It basically means I shouldn’t move my car until the snow is gone. When I leave tomorrow morning, someone will park in the space I vacated. Either a teacher or a parent from the school down the block. When I get to work, I will park in a space someone else shoveled out. If I have a doctor or dentist appointment, or go to the library- really whenever I go somewhere that’s not a supermarket or a mall, I will be parking in a space someone else shoveled out. And so will anyone in my area who thinks its rude for someone else topark in the spot they shoveled out.

I hope someone does that to St Anger one of these days… I’ll probably be able to hear the explosion from here :slight_smile: