How do I get rid of my meth neighbor?

Can you somehow set up a drug war with a rival gang?

That could work, assuming the rival gang shoots very, very carefully (and/or he has bullet proof walls).

Lucky me lives in a trailer park, used to be a decent place. Three neighbors had methlabs for a year back in '11 but a drug sweep got them out of here. But starting 2 1/2 years ago the smells came back - tears out of your eyes walking down the street and I was with two friends who were in awe something could smell so bad. I reported the smells to police.

The police very likely told the woman of the noxious trailer. She scowled at me the next day. But the smells got more intense over time, till a year ago I was choking so bad in the early morning hours, I went into heart failure. Otherwise I was a person who exercised regularly and ate healthy food.

The Park Managers appear near powerless to do anything on some levels. And, as suggested above, I called the cops to make a historical record if/when something does go down. I ended up calling the cops so many times they don’t answer anymore, and am firmly convinced they’re pals with the meth-makers. I don’t have a choice in thinking that, it’s been 2 1/2 years.

Now with 4 stents in my heart, and forced to take heart meds (no feel-good drugs of any kind), my own life expectancy is much shortened. In despair, last week i went to two of three trailers where the smells are so bad, and nicely told them I thought I’d talk to them instead of calling the Feds. One said he would break my neck if I did anything (I’m larger than him and obviously wan’t afraid of his shtick, and he apologized) and the other one said she didn’t do that stuff, they test her for drugs at work, and if you ever see a video on lie-spotting, she did every evasive maneuver that tells you someone is lying through their teeth.

The good news: for three days now the air has been perfect. No smells from either place. Until tonight, the 3rd-trailer where I couldn’t talk to those people, a woman who has just given birth to a baby where the father just got out of an 18-month stint in prison for meth - she shows up next door. An old lady lives there and i figure she must have an ephedrine prescription because once someone shows up there, for two days it reeks SO bad with mainly eye irritant, but the cat urine, battery burning/plastic burning smell.

The local police absolutely won’t come here. And they’ve been in the media pushing “body cams” so evidence is collected. But those can’t pick up smell can they? That’s not evidence me thinks. So they can continue lying through their teeth there’s no problem.

As for moving, not an option - I’m screwed. Stents in my heart and honestly I hope to die soon.
Thanks for letting me vent. But the meth people are the most cunning, wiliest pieces of garbage I’ve ever seen, almost supernatural how even the police bow to them - evil. Pure evil.

I’m ignorant of the law in your case, but in my similar position I ‘dropped the dime’. The dealer was evicted, with the help of an anonymous legal statement I’d given (it was a housing association block, generally hard to evict anyone from without going in front of a judge - but confidentiality was respected. Just as well, because part of my complaint was his tendency to viciously attack rivals and/or defualting customers in the corridors and shared garden).

The day he got the court summons he passed me in the street, talking on his mobile and explaining that “some ****” had grassed him up. He appeared to assume it was a rival (perhaps one of those I’d watched him threaten with a hatchet…) It might well be that your neighbour would leap to a similar conclusion.

As far as I can tell, the OP doesn’t say they think their neighbor is a dealer, at least not out of the apartment. I doubt the cops are going to care much.

So you “became aware” of minor incidents indicating bad neighbor liked an empty apartment beside him which you consider threats to you and/or the landlord? None of the other neighbors know he’s a druggie because he hides his tracks so well? He has loud parties “on occasion”? I don’t know. I would suggest you just call in a noise complaint when they get obnoxious and mostly just forget about it. Why give up a place you like because of an occasional party?

I smells me some methylated zombie.

Wit’sEnd, perhaps you could go to the press?

The OP only ever wrote that one post on this board, back in 2012, so I don’t know how his/her situation has been since then.

What I have learned from People’s Court: It’s okay to break your lease immediately if you see a mouse or cockroach, but don’t do a single thing to fix the problem (like, say, putting out a few mousetraps); however, if your roommate is a violent drug-dealer and you fear for your safety in your own apartment, you’re on the hook if you move out before your lease is over.
:dubious:[URL=“http://boards.straightdope.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/”]

This is in Chocolay township, Michigan. The Chocolay Police have twice whipped-by in their cruisers and claimed not to smell anything. To be fair, they ALSO didn’t smell a locally-famous meth lab that went on for over a year in the same park. Couldn’t smell a thing.
That couple went on to burn another trailer to the ground in a nearby park, and are currently serving long prison sentences because some other police agency got to them.

For 2 1/2 years now, Chocolay Police are on record ignoring and protecting ongoing meth labs, and why I don’t know. Trailers, one of the labs is 12 feet away from a vulnerable woman in her 60’s, 20 feet away from a woman in her late 70’s, 20-feet from a schoolgirl who apparently babysits an infant. The smells are horrendous! It usually starts 11PM and ends sometimes around 5-6AM. Cops can’t smell it! In fact they’re on record pushing “body cams” in the media, video recording systems that also can’t smell a thing! Smell no evil? There’s no monkey for that!

Nearby is Ishpeming Michigan. Someone smells a meth lab, they risk life and limb to arrest the meth people and they’re in prison before Chocolay cops would admit there’s a problem.

Because my own health is deteriorating rapidly, I’d like to call Chocolay police what they are, pure cowards! Even old people and small children are heroes having the live with this day and night! they don’t have Haz Mat suits.

Chocolay police need to be out on their asses is all i can an say. Maybe quit worrying about your 401Ks and be trained by those who understand what meth chemicals do to your life and property, let alone risk of explosion. Cowards. And again, this isn’t the first long stretch in time they couldn’t smell a thing. Something brown covering their noses ya think?

Thanks for the vent. My eyes are burning and lungs acidly dry.

I doubt that your Chocolate-covered police are actually cowards only worried about their 401K’s, although they may be that too. This sounds a lot more like they are, how you say in English, “in on the action”.

Call the county or state police and explain your predicament? A district attorney wanting to make a name for herself? Newspapers and TV news people love this stuff, especially if they get to take down a small-town PD.

I would think the DEA would be the alphabet soup to go to.

Thanks very much for the direction - I’m looking into it and got a little bit done already. Yeah I don’t what happened to Chocolay Police Department but in recent years they totally went to hell. Started wrecking their own cars and telephoning people at home all cocky as if they’re trying to persuade a person into making statements that can be taken out of context.

Sadly, Michigan State Police around here just reroute your call back to CPD so Feds are the only route I’ll consider.

Thanks again everyone. I expect trouble but I’m not letting my neighbors, loved ones and myself to get poisoned to death or blown up!

-update- vulnerable woman in her 60’s moved out yesterday. She was a great and stable neighbor. She pointed out two residences concerning meth. Both were same as i’ve picked-up as well.

So far I’ve went to a media outlet in the hopes that powers-that-be who are better connected to proper resources might be in a position to take action.

From where I see things, it looks like cops want not only to ignore the problem but scapegoat people who complain. After all, days after I reported unbreathable noxious fumes across the street, a neighbor connected to the cops asked me if I Narc’ed. Narc’ed?

Narc’ing is a personal betrayal - reporting unbreathable noxious stench is just that, reporting unbreathable noxious stench!

In addition, in the two-plus years is a hell of a long time to let things like this operate when you figure how many people have gotten addicted since. I’ve seen a lot of traffic in and out and in the Spring it looks like someone went up and down the road with gas and oil it’s stinky chemicals all over the roads and outdoor rabbits and squirrels constantly cleaning their feet and rubbing their eyes too.

I want Chocolay Police and UPSET to explain in a Court of Law, why in 1/4th of a decade they couldn’t so much as walk through here and take a whiff? They’ve put many innocent lives in peril and while I’ve never sued anybody in my life, if there’s a class action I’ll sign up and I have receipts and so do others.

I was right the first time. The cops are in on the action.

The DEA might or might not be in on the action. They’re the most corrupt agency in this whole U. S. of A. (I had a close relative, now deceased of seeming natural causes, who was once a Federal agent of some sort, and he said so.)

Call 60 Minutes.

Ladies & Gents, I beg help for this area in the event I pass away. Next door is full blast horrible odor and there’s no longer any point in calling the police. Used to be one smelly place within a block radius, now it’s five within a real stone’s throw.
On ABC News Marquette they’re running multiple-part stories on our regional Narcs, called UPSET, and they’re self-claiming their importance with zero historical record to go on. My neighborhood is destroyed by meth and the police seem to want to make certain the meth people are protected and any calls for help, shot down.

Kids, old people, vulnerable - this place feels like the worst PsyOp you could imagine. I totally beg anyone of influence, to ignite an investigation how many requests for help were professionally handled by Chocolay Police or UPSET. I feel that in 2 1/2 years the police have betrayed those vulnerable equally as the methlab operators, and if toxic mess is so expensive to clean up then why do the police let this continue under protected statues?
THANKS

Consider contacting a lawyer and initiating a civil action. That would involve revealing your identity though. Also EPA.

Talk to Public Health. Meth is taken very seriously as a health risk and if he is doing the drug on the other side of your wall, you are being exposed and there may well be a testable amount of the smoke on your side of the wall.

Thanks friends - a well-regarded person got back to me. I’ll keep the message confidential and keep hope alive.

The nicest, kind and wisest people I know advise to commit to powerful actions against the perpetrators, but that’s not legal, the actions they advise :smiley:

I hope you get somewhere, Wit’sEnd!! Good luck.