I pit my new boyfriend for not buying me a Xmas present!

Huh? I see them all the time. I don’t buy the paper every Sunday, and I always end up with the coupons for stuff like blowjobs, Charmin, and Pecan Sandies. Just once, I’d like to get the paper on a day when they have the coupons for cunnilingus, ScotTissue, and Oreos! (Thank Og for Costco!)

nongoog–welcome to the SDMB. Talk to the boyfriend. I’m betting it’s some sort of misunderstanding.

By the way, you have me giggling like crazy over the “even BUMS give their BUM GIRLFRIENDS something for Christmas” thing!

Can you imagine a Bum Girlfriend’s Christmas list?
–An old newspaper
–Another shopping bag. Macy’s would be best, but The Gap is okay, too.
–A new toothbrush for my tooth.
–A bottle of Mad Dog 20/20

How 'bout a Hobo Girlfriend?
–A tin can
–A new sack. I’d love a flour sack if you can find one!
–Bloomers
–A bottle of moonshine

I’m having entirely too much fun here. Back to work.

I’m not sure which is a bigger pet peeve of mine,
people who treat others like garbage,
or people who allow themselves to be treated like garbage.

Yeah, I have to say I’m getting the same vibe. Maybe there is a reason that normal boyfriend/girlfriend conventions are not being followed here.

Cash value: 1/20 cent.

I don’t get it either.

-Joe

Here here. I am totally with that. You didn’t get HIM anything either and quite honestly, you should have.

Can’t speak to that, but I frequently receive direct-mail coupons from shady-looking carpet shampooing and duct cleaning companies, which I’ve heard often entitle the bearer to an unwanted sodomization.

Nonono…

They’re a front for a cult!

-Joe

Come live with me darlin’, I’ll buy you a pony. Or at least, give you a pony ride.

Dear nongoog,

We’ve been dating a year, I know you are a poor student, so I felt obligated to tell you not to buy me anything for Christmas, but STILL, I thought you could afford something such as:

• a framed picture of you, or of us
  • a mix tape or CD
  • a souvenier from montauk (our first trip together)
  • a book of crosswords
  • a novel
  • a heart drawn on a piece of paper
  • something…?
  • anything…?

In short, I would have been happy for as little as 10 minutes of your time and $10. *I know you have 10 minutes. I know you have $10. *

What I’m really thinking is: Fuck you! You can’t spend five minutes buying some stupid trinket for me on fucking Christmas? What the hell kind of girlfriend ignores her boyfriend on Christmas?? What are you thinking? You spent more time and effort washing your toilet than you spent thinking about me over the holidays! Do you really think you’re going to get away with giving me nothing?? That everything is going to be fine and dandy between us? We’ve been going out for a year, and you don’t even give me a kiss on the lips and a handmade card? Even BUM GIRLFRIENDS give their BUM BOYFRIENDS something for Christmas, SOMETHING, a banana, a stick of gum, a dead cat, a sculpture of matchsticks! Something. ANYTHING!

The sad part is, really, that I would have been happy with anything, especially a handmade card.

I’m so confused. To just NOT GIVE, and ignore. As if a holiday hadn’t even passed. As if it were the month of July, not the month of December.

Thanks for nothing,

Steve

To the OP,

I agree that if you can’t just mention what makes you uncomfortable to a BF you’ve been seeing for a year, there is something deeply wrong with your couple. Are you sure you’re his girl friend, and not only his fuck friend? The dinners, the taxis… you’re a pretty cheap fuck, sure beats going to a pro.

Perhaps deep down you suspect something is amiss, but you’re afraid to lose what little you have of him if you are critical of his behaviour.

Yeah, why DIDN’T you give him something? I’ve been in this situation, with the BF giftless. I still gave him a gift. It was an issue, for sure, but you don’t have an high ground to stand on if you gave him a little coupon but didn’t feel satisfied with a box of expensive, if regifted chocolates.

What would have happened if he had given you something and you were empty-handed? Would have been **samm’**s post in the Pit, right?

So color me :confused: about this thread.

Hey nongoog for BJs and massages 5 nights a week I’ll buy you whatever you want*

• within reason

Ouch. That’s gonna leave a mark. :smiley:

I’m with DianaG on this one. He doesn’t think of this as a relationship. I think the OP might be deluding herself.

Something is off about the whole post. It stretches the bounds of reality with all the description of the ‘relationship’, which if it exists is more like hooker-john than boyfriend-girlfriend, and is just too conveniently neat and in a box. I’m not buying it.

There’s a convenient answer to every question, all of which are attempts at making this ‘guy’ seem like an asshole who deserves to be burned at the stake. ‘Maybe he couldn’t afford something’ is responded to with ‘No he’s really well-off’, which was never alluded to in the original story.

I smell a pyjama pants girl story here.

If it doesn’t work out, I would be more than happy to make you a card in exchange for blowjobs and massages…

I’m torn between that and agreeing w/those who point out the obvious disconnect between ‘relationship’ and ‘secret fuck buddy’.

I think it’s one of two things. He either assumed that, because he told you not to buy him a gift, he wouldn’t make you feel bad by buying you something. Either that, or he actually did buy you something, but because you didn’t give him anything, he didn’t give you anything either.

Did you actualy tell him you wanted the mix tape (tape? Holy 1987! :wink: ) for Christmas? Or did you just say in passing that’d be a nice thing for him to do for you? If you specifically said you wanted it for Christmas, it is indeed a bit strange that he didn’t do it. I’m curious to know what he got you for your birthday…

I don’t think that he just doesn’t believe in gifts, since he got his ex that fabulous birthday present (now, that wasn’t when she was his ex and you were his girlfriend, was it??) I also don’t believe we have a mistress situation here, since she’s with him five nights a week, spends the night 80% of the time and is with him on major holidays such as Christmas. If that’s the case, when does the actual girlfriend see him?

I’m kind of confused about how you’re indignant that he didn’t give you a gift, when you didn’t give him a gift, either? What gives you the right to get huffy over what a cheap bastard he is?

Maybe he thought you were sensitive about the fact that you couldn’t afford to spend as much on gift giving as he could and simply figured not exchanging gifts would avoid the issue.