I pit you, Mr. Grinch

Now this is the worst I’ve yet seen
for the Whos this does demean
and I see only speculation
to justify this condemnation.

First, we have an argument form ignorance
and for that I have no shred of tolerance.
We have no evidence to persist
in calling any of the Whos racist.
And just because no nativity do we see
does not mean the Whos lack religiosity.

And even if they have no religion
that does not justify your next decision
for you next imply that if they lack God
then the Whos must be kin to Mr. Todd!

I’m sure they have a perfectly normal source
for the beast that makes up the main course.
And if you can prove otherwise
it would be quite a large surprise.

I’m sorry, I can’t talk to anybody that hasn’t had a star tatooed on their belly. Everybody knows how cool it is to have a star tatooed on your belly.

Won’t someone think of the beasts?

I can’t decide between the childlike perfection of “Your heart is filled with unwashed socks” or the relentless “You’re a triple-decker sauerkraut and toadstool sandwich…with ARSENIC SAUCE”.

I keep seeing this, and reading “Won’t someone think of the breasts?”

…And then I do.

What I think is unfair is that the general public continues to think of Mr. Grinch in his pre-revelation days. “Don’t be a grinch” is a common reprimand. Everybody forgets that before the end Mr. Grinch was redeemed–he carved the roast beast, for pete’s sake!–and turned his back on his old ways. He deserves our admiration, not the tired, antiquated condemnation of the OP.

He was a big lefty. Before WWII he drew political cartoons for PM, a liberal New York magazine. He hated the fascists and agitated for the U.S. to enter the war long before Pearl Harbor.

Plus, he was voiced by Boris Karloff. BORIS KARLOFF, people!

So now we’re supposed to get all gushy over the fact that he has the constancy of Mayor Quimby and folds on the issues over nothing more than an insipid, emo Christmas Carol, the offer of a free meal and an emergent heart condition?

First he’s all:“Roast Beast is a feast I can’t stand in the least!”

Then…
Hit him with a little “Fah who for-aze!” and he’s ladling out the Au Jus!

:rolleyes:

Yeah, but that doesn’t mean he ATE some of it-just that he carved it.

It wasn’t so much that Mr. Grinch had a change of heart regarding roast beast but that the Whos recognized his turnabout and gave him–the Grinch!–the honor of carving the roast beast. We should all be so forgiving.

Mr. Scrooge has the same PR failing. He saved Tiny Tim’s life and it was always said of him that he knew how to keep Christmas well if any man alive possessed the knowledge. Yet he is still vilified as anti-Christmas.

Pfff. How can we trust a flip-flopper like the Grinch? He voted for the theft of Christmas before he voted against it? Whatever. He’s waffled on this already, how can we know with any clarity where he stands on other issues? He’s just a baseless opportunist that will put up a facade of caring about something only because it appears the majority goes with it.

I take that back! It’s people without stars tatooed on their belly that are cool.

Had a little transaction with Mr. McMonkey McBean, I see.

Deeg, I’m afraid the Grinch does go back to his old ways, at least temporarily, in “The Grinch grinches the Cat in the Hat” (1982 TV special). Yes, our two favorite Seuss villains are pitted against one another, and mayhem naturally ensues. Although I can’t imagine why (the plot, script, and animation are all sub-par, IMHO), it won two Emmys. Makes you wonder what other animated specials were made that year.

And before anyone objects that this was not a Seuss book, I must point out that it produced by Friz Freleng and…wait for it…Ted Geisel. There was also a Grinch Halloween special (which I’ve never seen), but I think it’s safe to assume that was a prequel.

You didn’t hear it from me, but I’ve heard tell a tale of when the Grinch was younger he had a lady he was rather fond of. To some, she was rough around the edges and gruff and well deserving of the nickname “beast”, but to the the Grinch she was his world. And some wonder what sent him over the edge.

Thank-you. I remember watching this one time, and then never seeing it again. It’s nice to know that I wasn’t going crazy at such a young age.

Of course he doesn’t eat the Roast Beast! He’s a vegetarian, obviously - Twas spinach made him Green and Mean.

Do you know that the special depicts events after the Christmas in question? If so, I want to see a cite. It could just as easily been a historical documentary, or perhaps a liberal TV exposé trying to discredit a reformed conservative by dredging up the past.