Irregular Adverbs

This post has been Aped by the Apeist!

So, we’ve established that those are adjectives.

For the language mavens: One conjugates a verb, and one declines a noun. Is there a counterpart term for adjectives?

This is fucking ridiculous - another jerk-off thread in Will Repair’s one-man war against the imagined slight he has suffered from board administration. I would link to previous chapters in this sad little story, but I can’t be bothered to waste any more time on the OP. This is the first time in 3 years I’ve considered making use of the ignore list. Get a life.

They’re not adverbial phrases. They’re predicate nominatives with adjectives. And you can use adverbs or adverbial phrases with be as well as normal vebs. (I’m home or I’m going home.)

You don’t do anything to an adjective, other than use it. (Same with adverbs.)

Some irregular adverbs would be: fast, well, far, home, etc.

That is, in a much as they don’t have the -ly morpheme.

Declension is generally used to describe a language with highly inflected noun, pronoun, and adjective forms (e.g. Latin noun and adjective declensions). I guess you can use it in English (“One declines a noun” or “one declines an adjective”), but the inflectional morphology of English nouns and adjectives is so limited in comparison that generally we just stick to “inflection” as the noun of choice to label these changes (and we can “inflect” verbs as well; there’s no real need for a separate term of “conjugation”, though you’re free to use it, of course).

Not true. There are inflectional forms for many adjectives and some adverbs, e.g. hard/harder/hardest.

Adjective: This test is harder than the one we had last week.
Adverb: I’ll hit the ball harder this time at bat.

I also want to point out that Jragon’s previous cite has an exceptionally poor definition of “adverb”: “adverbs are verbs that modify a verb, an adjective, or another adverb”. This is just not true. You can call this the typical function, or characteristic function, of adverbs, but it is not always the case that every word that modifies an adjective is always an adverb.

In the phrase “stone cold”, it is a noun (“stone”) that is modifying the adjective. That noun does not suddenly become an adverb because it is a modifier; it doesn’t fulfill any of the other syntactic requirements for adverbs. Nouns are free to be modifiers on occasion, and they do not suddenly become traitors to the noun cause when they do so.

That’s right, I forgot about that. There’s even hurly burlier.

That’s right, I forgot about that. There’s even hurly burlier.