Is this another Waco in the making?

Damn! The OP’s link is absolutely scary! I grew up in a church that many called a cult, and it’s leader was a terror to many. But Jeffs makes him look like a rank amateur. I guess it’s all a matter of degree.

I understand the reluctance of civil authorities to investigate in such a closed community. Their lives might well be in danger, and any evidence they could gather would necessitate corroborating testimony from people who are terrified to speak against Jeffs.

As for an error in prophesy causing a loss of faith in the “infallible” leader and a breakup of the cult, remember Jeffs has prophesied the second coming several times already. When it didn’t happen there was no loss of faith. The leader had only to say it was a test, but that the real thing was coming . . . soon.

No matter how much evidence is gathered against Jeffs and others in his cult, trying to serve warrants against any of them would doubtless lead to another Waco style bloodbath. It is tragic that so many children are born into this horror, but there is no way to save them.

(bolding mine)

May I quote you that politics is the same as religion?
To use your example of Kim Jong-Il, if a politician were to attempt to set up a dictatorship inside the U.S. he would be quickly struck down. As this fellow in the OP professes religion, he is treated differently.
Politics may be a necessary evil, with great capacity for abuse, but it does not profess to exalt, to redeem, to transcend, to save, as religion does.

:rolleyes:

Did what he said go right over your head or did you understand it and just decide to ascribe your own meaning to it?

Is that roasted fatted calf I smell? Bring it on!

I guess it went over my head. Why don’t you straighten me out? Seriously.

I think what I said stands on its own, and your inability to comprehend that point is attributable far more to your anti-religious bigotry than it is to any problems with the clarity of my post.

This one’s been a local issue for years, and it’s a minefield politically because these people are fundamental Mormons. Everyone remembers what a disaster the raid in 1952 was, and more recently, Waco.

However, steps have been taken. Warren Jeffs has been separated from control of the Trust that owns the vast Majority of Colorado City / Short Creek area.

Some buildings have been taken down in violation of the order to preserve all assets while the massive fraud in the school district is investigated.

The local papers keep an eye to the north, and Warren Jeffs empire seems to be crumbling, and it’s yet to be seen if will go out with a bang, or a whimper.

Let’s sincerely hope it’s with a whimper.

Your post is funny, New Iskander, considering all of the recent complaining about lefties bringing political issues into unrelated threads.

Unfortunately, no matter what happens, folks will bitch. If the women and youngsters aren’t removed from the injurious situation, people will bitch. If the government takes action and it turns ugly, people will bitch. Ultimately, the armchair quarterbacks who have never done anything other than bitch, will bitch. Sorry, but I’m fed up with law enforcement being put in a damned if you do and damned if you don’t position.

I’ve posted about Jeffs several times before (most recently in a thread about his audio recordings) and have followed Colorado City happenings with fascination for more than 20 years.

This can only end in blood. Hopefully it will be one of “The Lost Boys” or an apostate or a rival cult-leader (of whom there are many, including some of Ervil’s sons who are out there) rather than a Federal agent. (If the Feds are smart, they’ll see to it.)

This isn’t such a situation. More like a damned if you fuck up position, hence the Waco comparison.

People are comparing this to Waco or Jonestown. It will most likely be neither.

At Waco, the targets were lightly (if at all) armed. At Jonestown, the targets were dead. Jeffs’ cult is another matter entirely, as they have (at least) 150 automatic rifles and a good deal of ammo. Given this, any attempts to disperse the cult by force will be very bloody indeed. It will most likely take the National Guard, or even the regular Army, to apprehend Jeffs in the event of a standoff.

While I believe quite strongly in social freedoms, this cult is disturbing. It’s worse than the Taliban. Nothing like the SPLC to shock and appall.

Here’s hoping Jeffs gets his comeuppance in short order.

I certainly hope that federal agents learned good lessons from Waco and will handle this situation more successfully.

I also hope that those who make such a fetish out of civilian rights, will realize that gov’t might have no choice but to preemptively abridge civil rights of certain people under special circumstances.

“Make such a fetish out of civilian [sic] rights”?! Christ on a fucking cracker, you are an asshole!

No, just stupid.

Hit him with the law.

Are their taxes paid? Fine.

Is there any, and I mean ANY indication that people are being abused or held against their will? If so, go in. If not. Fuck 'em.

Ignore them.

Let them die on the vine.

I assume this was directed at me. It’s quite a mouthful. Why don’t we start to chew it by justifying your accusation of anti-religious bigotry, if you can.

One of the definition of prejudice in Merriam-Webster’s is “an irrational attitude of hostility directed against an individual, a group, a race, or their supposed characteristics.” Bigotry has been defined often as imparting characteristics of an individual to a much larger group.

Now, wasn’t that what you did in your little statement here?

If they have automatic rifles, they they are committing a federal crime. If there is evidence that they have these illegal weapons, then there is the legal basis for a search warrant.