Looking at buying a house built in 1919, historical questions

obbn I live in a 1922 wood Craftsman home 5 miles from Mt Dora. Lake county now has the ability to apply for permits online, and anyone you contact through the website (either by email or phone) is VERY friendly and helpful.

The first home I bought wasn’t just in the district, I was in a registered home. I wasn’t allowed to change the layout inside, but I could do odd things, like create a room inside a room without removing/moving any of the old walls.

Basically I wound up just flipping it, as my situation changed and I didn’t want to live in a 2 storey home.

As I said, the permit office goes well beyond their duties, and probably give more advice then they Should (legally and TMI style). I called about getting a permit to replace all the knob and tube, and wound up getting a kitten pawned off on me. :eek:

Oh and FWIW, the house itself is all awkward as it was added onto so many times, but I have the wood floors and Really high ceilings. My living room is as a bowling alley.

Howdy neighbor. It is getting late tonight, but possibly tomorrow I will shot you an PM and if you don’t mind ask a few questions. The SD is really a small world isn’t it?

Oh and since the terminology is all new to me, I could be wrong but I think our house is registered as well. It has one of those historical markers near the front door. Also, our offer was accepted by the seller today! Now we just have to wait on Bank of America to approve the short sale… hopefully it won’t take months for them to let us know.

If you have the gold marker, the home itself is registered. There is a site (I think it includes MtDora) that you should be able to research your home with the # on the plate. Lake Co. Historical Society doesn’t seem to tech savvy though. PM away, sorry if I am slow to respond though.

I’d say that, before you even think of making an offer, you need to find out exactly the terms of the historical designation and what conditions it imposes.

Making new friends is great, but I’m puzzled that you would consult with someone in a completely different jurisdiction rather than going to city hall and buying a copy of the preservation guidelines booklet (easy to read format, $20), or just calling Gus Gianikas, Assistant Planning & Development Director, 352-735-7113.

Of course I will head down to the city and find out what their requirments are, however from what I got from SUBA’s post is that they at one time owned a home in the historic district and currently own a “vintage” home. Not only will it be an opportunity to make a new friend in a new city, but I am sure that SUBA will have some good advice on living in and fixing things in an old home.