Whoa. I'm a homeowner.

Signed this week and got the keys today.

I think I’m in shock.

But damn, it feels good to own property. With a cherry tree, no less!

Congratulations! Tell us more!

Welcome to the world of the bank account never being full enough any more, and your weekends all being devoted to doing something around the house and yard! You’re gonna love it! :smiley:

So, you found out where all your local do-it-yourself hardware type stores are yet?

Congrats! It’s a great feeling to own a house, once you get used to it. Even when you have to worry about repairs and maintenance it’s cool to be able to make all the decisions yourself.

My house came with a cherry tree that makes me deliriously happy, by the way; it was one of the features that made me sure that this was the house for me.

GT

You’ll have to get yourself a big black horse.

Wishing you luck and joy in your new home!

Built 1919. 1700 sq feet, 2 bed, 1 bath. Full basement (unfinished), oversized garage, all stripped to the studs a few years ago and redone (wiring, plumbing, all new kitchen cabinets, mostly new windows).

We’re off to Lowes today. We’ve already hit Home Depot to see what they have to offer. Lumber Liquidators later for floors.

Painting is in my future. They painted the whole thing bright white inside to sell it. That gives us a blank canvas. I’m super excited.

Bright white throughout? I’ll ask my former-house-painter husband about this when he gets home, but I recall him saying that the hardest colour to paint over is white. You might need to look into some primers or something to make sure the colours go on nicely.

How did you get a 1919 house with an unfinished basement, you lucky dog? Or as I like to call them, an unspoiled basement. :smiley:

Congratulations. You were smart and picked a perfect time to buy. My wife and I, dumb kids that we are, bought at the top of the market.

You’re going to get hooked on home improvement websites, tv shows, and magazines. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but it’s gonna happen :).

It’s a great time to be a first time buyer! Good luck to you!

Hey, congratulations. Home ownership is fun. Sounds like a great house.

I bought my first house in 1975. It looked like someone had done an open plan–no doors anywhere. We found them in the attic. One of them had the paint stripped off, and someone had written on it, in pencil, “Norm’s summer project, 1970.”

And it was my summer project–winter, too–for the next 10 years.

You are NOT going to earworm me with this.
No, no,
no, no no no no
no, no
Not gonna earworm me!

Woo-hoo! :smiley:

Learn this route well, as you’ll be going to both on a regular basis for the rest of your lives :slight_smile:

Welcome to homeownership!!

By bright white is it glossy or a satin type paint? If it is the gloss type have fun covering that without some prep work first. I know this from experience and many late nights.
Congratulations on your new home. I’m glad to see that you know were the Lowes and Home Depot are. You will get to know some of the workers on a first name basis.

Congrats’.

How’s your tool outlook? If you don’t have one, buy a 3/8s or 1/2" rechargeable drill. I recommend a Makita this is a new version of mine. http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=6337DWDE. Probably the 2nd or 3rd best tool I ever bought.

Welcome to the club. I signed my papers earlier this month, had it painted, and moved in last Saturday.

The place is a fucking disaster. My daughter’s room is totally unpacked (and very, very pink), and my kitchen is in a most excellent state, but everything else is clogged with boxen. And tools lying around where I’m halfway through a project.

I think it’ll be another two weeks before everything’s unpacked, the shelves are back on the shelfpegs, and the toilet paper holders are screwed to the walls.

The first month or so is rough for everybody, with or without kids. Tons of work and things get worse before they get better. But they do get better eventually. Boxes everywhere sucks but what other option is there?
Don’t forget to keep your lawn tidy if you don’t want nasty glances from your neighbors.

Congratulations to you too!

In my experience, unpacking goes in two waves - the first wave is done quickly, and it’s the stuff you need day-to-day. The second wave, the stuff you don’t need right away, gets unpacked sometime between a year later and never. :slight_smile:

Oh, I asked my husband about the white paint throughout - he said that is actually good, so thumbs up for you! His only comment was that if you want to go dark, you’ll probably want to prime with a tinted primer at least half the desired colour to get you there a lot quicker.

Lawn? I don’t have a lawn! I have a field of wildflowers that the previous owner planted.

I also have only two working phone jacks in the whole house. WTF?