More legal chess moves in a game of chess than there are adams in the known universe?

Must be something inside.

Does that include Cecil Adams?

I believe it was Spencer Johnson who pointed out that there are more legal cheese movements than there are edams in the known universe.

Actually I think bare kings is a draw immediately, without needing the 50-move rule. With only kings there’s no sequence of moves possible to produce checkmate, so the game is drawn.

Calculating the exact number of possible games becomes computationally impossible only a few moves deep, but just to do a back of the envelope calculation we could use an average of 20 possible moves in each position with games lasting 50 moves for each player. That’d give 20[sup]100[/sup] possible games, which is in the ballpark of the 10[sup]120[/sup] figure mentioned earlier.

E·dam;
n.
A mild, yellow Dutch cheese, pressed into balls and usually covered with red wax.

Spencer Johnson;
An author who wrote “Who Moved My Cheese”, not referring to bowel movements brought on by cheese, rather the phrase ‘cheese’ as a goal in life.

Good one Biotop, how long did it take you to think that one up? :dubious:

:smiley:

What about the MacAdams?

But i think we’ve been down this road before. :slight_smile:

I’d suggest macadamias, but that would be nuts.

All right, let’s settle this scientifically, once and for all:

John Adams, 1 f4 e6 2 g4 Qh4++
John Quincy Adams, 1 f4 e6 2 a3 a6 3 g4 Qh4++
Sam Adams, 1 f4 e6 2 a4 a5 3 g4 Qh4++
Cecil Adams, 1 f4 e6 2 a4 a6 3 g4 Qh4++
Don Adams, 1 f4 e6 2 a3 a5 3 g4 Qh4++
. . .

Oh, the heck with it. This will take forever! :frowning:

Do Addams count?

Inquiring Pugsleys want to know.

I don’t care how “mild” it is, you Dutch had damn well better keep your wax and cheese away from my balls.

In the interests of scientific investigation, I took the liberty of interviewing a few atoms on the subject:

Me: “And you, what’s your name?”
“My name is Adam.”
Me: “You too? You’re the 6.02x10[sup]23[/sup]rd one! There must be, like, a mol of you guys.”
Adam: “We’re all named Adam. Didn’t someone tell you before?”
Me: “Well, that clears a few things up. There really are more legal chess moves than there are Adams in the known universe.”

I don’t think the ‘No true Scotsman’ fallacy applies here.

:smack: Of course, and king and one minor piece versus bare king is a statutory draw too (as mate is impossible even with cooperation by the weaker king). I’ve only known that for 35 years. :rolleyes: @ self.

Serious games of over 100 moves a side are exceedingly rare, although over 50 isn’t that unusual.

Ok, so that’s Adam, but what about Steve? Did God really not make Steve?

What’s the collective noun for a bunch of Adams anyway? A west of Adams? A cecil of Adams? Enquiring minds want to know.

Tell you what; I’ll start with two Adamas at the other end of the galaxy who are heading towards Earth. You guys count the terrestrial adams and we’ll meet somewhere in the middle. Okay?

See you at the super black hole!

Listen to BraheSilver! He nose! :wink:

Yes, but how does he smell?

This is quite the Adamic powered thread.

Could we come up with an Adam-based chess set, like those snappy Civil War Chess sets.

Uncle Cecil could be a king. Maybe Adam Ant can be a queen?

Really bad, he definitely needs a shower.

-Tcat