My garage door opener works up, but not down

Well, that’s pretty helpful…

I see I’m a little late to the party but I was going to say this is exactly how our door reacts when there is something blocking the eye sensors, it goes down about an inch and then stops.
I’ve never tried holding down the button in those circumstances but it makes sense it could be an override on some models, and RedSwinglineOne seems to confirm that this is sometimes the case.

One note about the eyes - direct sunlight can make the eyes think there’s an object in the way. This happens at my parents’ house on a regular basis at the exact right times of day. They have to wait a few minutes for the sun to move before they can close the door.

Alright, you’ll love this one - went home, examined the tracks, then turned my attention to the sensor eyes. I nudged one of them about a quarter-inch, and a little red light turned on.

Fixed!

And here I was worried about multimeters and circuit testing. Hehe. Even funnier that the previous owners never figured this out and sold the home with a nonfunctional garage door opener on the list.

That fixed mine as well. Consider my subscription paid for!

Excellent. They should be mounted with some kind of a bracket…tighten any and all screws associated with the mount so it’s less likely for them to move in the future.

They are equipped with those brackets. Run into them with bikes, trash cans, or other ordinary garage inhabitants, and all bets are off.

But knowing that, the eyes can always be moved back into place. Sweet, sweet technology, how you befuddle us with your mystic charms.
:smiley:

My fix was cleaning the “eye” beam lens and unplugged and re-plugged the wire from the back of the beam sensors. Make shore you see each the LED light is now powered on. Thank should be your fix :slight_smile:

It’s been 8 years since he had that problem. I bet he got it fixed meanwhile.

But thanks for joining us.

:slight_smile: Nice.

I did indeed :slight_smile: Funny to see my old threads revived, though.