"Pioneer Woman" Ree Drummond fascinates the hell out of me

Change three things and the recipe is yours.

Yeah, and the thing is, you can’t copyright a recipe. You can copyright the words used to describe the recipe, but a list of ingredients is not copyrightable (just use your words to describe the technique.) I have my “own” recipes, but most of the stuff I cook is traditional and well-established in terms of ingredients, ratios, and techniques. I can give you “my” recipe for goulash and all sorts of Hungarian and Polish foods, but they’re an amalgam of currently existing recipes, and I wouldn’t be surprised if very similar if not exact recipes exist.

Yuck, instant channel change.

If the people accusing her of stealing the recipes are claiming this in cases where no one knows where the recipe came from, that’s silly.

If they are accusing her of stealing because she knows precisely where the recipes come from and doesn’t credit that source, that’s not silly.

Credit your sources. Say where the recipe comes from. If it’s from your brain, say it’s from your brain. If it’s from the newspaper, say it’s from the newspaper. If it’s from the granddaughter, say it’s from the granddaughter.

I liked her blog and copied dozens of her recipes back in 2009 when I lived in China. A lot of good stuff when I leveraged the interwebs instead of cookbooks. Buttered Rosemary Rolls was one of the first ones of hers that I tried and liked. I probably read her blog and copied recipes for a year or so.

At least for me, I used to search some of the food blogs. Most were not places that fit your style, gave the right guidance, or made you want to go back to it. I haven’t been to PW’s website though for a few years.

I’ve sort of gone off most food blogs in the past year or so. I’ve got a recipe box over at All Recipes and copy/pasted others into Word. I find the “sweetie-honey-I-love-you-you’re-my-best-friend-aren’t-I-cute?” tone on a lot of them nauseating. Shut up and just give me the recipe, OK?

If I’m not mistaken, I think PW was one of the first to address her readers as such.

I made her pulled pork (pork shoulder, onions, chipotle peppers in adobe sauce, brown sugar, Dr Pepper, all cooked at 300 for 8 hours).

It was heavenly.

I made that too (root beer instead). First pork (besides some bacon or sausages) I ever made. It was very good.

We’ve made a number of her recipes. All were good - some bordered on fantastic.

I knew her husband was rich from way back. Doesn’t bother me a bit. As for “recipe stealing,” as I mentioned above, unless you copy and paste, there isn’t such a thing. Make a couple of changes and it’s yours.

Exactly. And like I said, a lot of the charges, IIRC, were that she stole them verbatim. But I really don’t care, as I have nothing to do with her unhealthy stuff anyway.

That’s been our experience too.

My wife started reading her blog years ago (6?) and it wasn’t always just a cooking blog; some of the stories about her mentally disabled brother’s interactions with the family are hysterical, if not entirely politically correct.

I think the blog was better back then because it wasn’t just another food blog, and had more about her family and life, and less about her recipes.

My wife started on the PW blog and then became a regular fan of the show until we cancelled cable earlier this summer.

I think it seems pleasant enough, but my real problem is that watching it makes me hungry!

I’ve watched her Food Network show and she has often said where she gets certain recipes and will detail any changes she has made.

It’s the internet, everyone hates everyone. :rolleyes:

Misty Prepper is the real deal:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mmlrc6atgmailcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MistyPrepper/142248625836043

Ree Drummond ain’t got nothing on her… :slight_smile:

From Misty’s home page: *“Now y’all have a Blessed and y’all come back now ya here.” *

Are you kidding me? At least Ree has a sense of irony about her country girl identity.

And using a handwriting font as body copy? One word: *don’t. *

And there’s also room for everyone.

I started reading her blog somewhere in the first year she started writing it. She appealed to me for a number of reasons, the first being she does lead a life different from most of us. I found the descriptions of life with all those cattle interesting, and the children do or did help with a lot of the work, much of the time on horses. She is about my age and her youngest is the same age as my youngest, so I identified with her that way too.

I also enjoyed many of the recipes; I knew they weren’t fine cuisine, but they were codified versions of many things I’d been winging it on for years (lasagna springs to mind) so I bought the cookbook. She also turned me on to Old Gringo cowboy boots, of which I am inordinately fond and now own several pair. Some of her other tastes are similar to mine as well in terms of clothing and jewelry.

Anyway, I got tired of her after a while and when she blew up I was pretty much over her. I have nothing against her whatsoever and would certainly have enjoyed meeting her if she came to town on one of her book-signing trips. But now, eh. She’s a celebrity instead of a regular woman with a blog.

(“Pioneer Woman” if I remember correctly, comes from a time when they were either having work done or had a plumbing disaster, and she had to fill water at one place and haul it to her house to do laundry, or something like that. Someone called her a pioneer woman, and the idea was so ludicrous, her being so rich and pampered and all, that she immediately adopted it. So it was more or less a joke all along.)

That’s what I meant about the ironic tone. It’s part of the charm of the whole scenario. She doesn’t pretend to be poor. If she meant Pioneer Woman seriously, she would be intolerable.

That Barbie dog blog entry is hilarious. I had no idea she was that funny or clever. I guess that doesn’t fit the Food Network?

There’s The Pioneer Woman Sux for some bitterness about PW.

Food Network Humor has some funny snark on her.

Get Off My Internets has discussed her before.

One of the less complimentary accounts of her out there