Pro-choice "art" from Yale student...

Looks like a pretty clear-cut case of needing something new and shocking to get an art degree. It’s that category of art that makes me dislike art as a category, even though I know it’s the minority of cases.

I often considered doing “art with a message” in the way you can do something poorly but claim it has significance, but I can’t self-delude myself enough for the task.

-Eben

So here in modern-day America (not to mention Japan, Europe, Australia, etc), we don’t have the money to test such things, but those ancient wise-women did?

Well, who’s going to spend money on such a test? The pomegranate lobby?

Antioch College shut down this year.

I agree with phouka. She’s not doing anyone or the school a favor.

This is one disturbed individual and frankly I’m disappointed in Yale for permitting this. I think the school has an obligation to maintain some standards of decency on behalf of the students. I would be upset if I paid good money to attend Yale and have it associated with such an incident.

It begs the question; do you have to be a student to exhibit art at that school? If I dropped a load in the middle of the exhibit (on loan) would it be considered cutting-edge sculpture or do I need to spend $40,000 a year to have it certified? I’ve always felt that I have a lot of art in me waiting to get out.

To me, it’s as if she indulged herself in bulimic-type gorging and forced vomiting, videotaping herself the while. Or, if you like, drinking repeatedly until she got puking drunk, videotaping ditto. Setting aside the larger abortion issue, it’s simply abusing the body in order to make a point which is nebulous at best.

If she had announced that she was protesting McDonalds Supersizing things, or America’s Obesity Epidemic, or Starving Children In The Third World, and gorged and vomited repeatedly on-camera during a period of months, would she still be able to submit it as Art?

When you take the morning after pill, you do so within 72 hours of unprotected sex. There’s no way of knowing if that unprotected sex resulted in a pregnancy. What you expel just a period, no different from any other heavy period. There’s no microscopic baby or babyish blob or tissue or anything.

And you feel like you have the flu.

She could make the same point by offering up a jar of menstrual fluid and a jar of sperm and calling that a loss of potential life. Of course, she’d’ve missed out on all that fun she had with the turkey baster.

Here’s another link, it seems to be working.

Right. Because the only entities in the entire world who have the money to do medical research are for-profit pharmaceutical companies. In the entire modern world, there are no organizations who do medical research, except those who hope to make a profit from it.

Wait, she didn’t even paint with the blood? Just displayed it? I’m afraid this fails the Stuckist test. Another Hirst/Emin wannabe. At least Marc Quinn sculpted his blood.

oops, missed the edit window

She could make the same point and make the Pope happy by offering up a jar of menstrual fluid and a jar of sperm and calling that a loss of potential life.

Hate to say it, but I suspect she’s serious and thinks this is art. Art, at some fundamental level, is about emotion, and she’s figured out a way to get emotion out of people.

And this coming from me, a college student studying theatre who has to hear this pushing-people’s-emotional-buttons-for-no-apparent-reason-with-no-message*-is-art stuff waaaaay too often.

*Not that she necessarily has no message, but her primary goal seems to be shock, and a message only secondary.

I wsih these “artists” would some day realize that shock and disgust are the *easiest * emotions to provoke.

In the Yale Daily News article, I see a HUGE unsupported assumption: that she was pregnant every time she experienced presumably painful menstrual flow in her bathtub with the video camera rolling.

Frankly, I’m disappointed–but somehow not surprised–that staff writer and presumed Yale student Martine Powers didn’t have the journalistic skepticism to ask the #1 question (“how did you know you were pregnant every time, or did you just assume that you were?”), but instead merely breathlessly reported the story as she was spoon-fed it.

Uh huh. :rolleyes:

And for some reason I’m now remembering the gal who taped an electronics breadboard to her chest last year, called it “art”, and strolled into an airport wearing it, causing a full-tilt-boogie security alert and nearly getting herself shot by hyped-up security guys.

Can’t something be done about Artsy Fartsy College Kids? Maybe lock them up somewhere until they’re thirty? :smiley:

My First Period by Aliza Shvartz

And you are basing these assumptions on…WHAT? The well known beliefs of the anti-abortion community that all women who have abortions become infertile (so no women would ever need more than one) and dysfunctions (including the ones who, instead of become teenage mothers, go on to finished high school and college, have careers and familes, which is obviously a myth since they all are “infertile and develop some nasty dysfunctions”).

Some anti-abortion people are crazy multiple murderers and set clinics…whoops, abortion mills on fire. Do all anti-abortion people develop such nasty dysfunctions?

Miscarriages have physical consequences for health. Comparing that to murdering someone that is not biologically connected to you is facile. Everyone I know who has had a miscarriage was affected by it. Serial miscarriages are going to affect one’s reproductive health. Having an abortion isn’t costless to your system.

Hopefully she’ll log some time in an institution before she tries to adopt.

[QUOTE=Annie-Xmas]
And you are basing these assumptions on…WHAT? QUOTE]

He probably basis it on her claim to be a premeditated multiple-self-abortionist. If her claim is true, I would say the dynsfunctional ship has already sailed.

I admit I was being a little tongue-in-cheek just so I could use the term “pomegranate lobby.”

Still, I suppose what my point really was was just that when there is a pretty well proven and safe method of contraception, who has interest in finding another. Particularly when even the anecdotal evidence (based on WhyNot’s post) is that they only work for a sub-set of women (thin and fit)?

Plus, I think that tolerance for failure is lower in the modern world that it might have been in the past. “Fairly effective” contraception is not something I’d ever want to rely on with anyone except my (hypothetical) wife, and then only under certain circumstances.

I don’t care about her art project, why would I care about her class schedule?