Remember that weird album cover that had...

'Merican here… it really helped (if not necessary) to have the gatefold open. I never thought that the British import would have been easier to see. If so, that somewhat diminishes the umph of it all, but still… I can’t imagine it being too much less subtle.

If the word were “taco,” it wouldn’t be so unusual.

How many letters in ‘peace?’

Ah… boy, that punch is gonna hurt.

This one, the eponymous debut by Mom’s Apple Pie. For those who don’t know, and don’t have a magnifying glass, let’s just say that the pie filling is rather unique. Does anyone have a link to a bigger picture?

First one I thought of was Queen’s * A Night at the Opera* since I have parts of it tattoed on my arm.
Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here
I absolutely love the Marillion artwork that was done by Mark Wilkinson which, I believe, were the first four albums plus many singles and EP’s.Seen here Welcome the-masque.com - Justhost.com it out,it’s neat stuff.

Only some? :smiley:

One of my favorites, in content and packaging, was Jethro Tull’s Stand Up (vinyl) album; It was a beautiful wood cut, and when you opened up the cover, the band popped-up (duh.) Still have that one.

Stand Up

On a side note, speaking of album covers, I am looking for an example of one that has one picture or design spread out over the front and back of the album, but is not a gatefold. Anyone?

May not qualify but what my mind’s eye saw when reading your post: Dark Side Of The Moon

When I was 5 years old my older sister got Elton John’s Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy album on vinyl. I just remember studying the thing intensely at age 5 trying to figure out what the hell it all meant.

I think Rush’s “Fly By Night” might fit the bill here.

Looking through my old album collection, the only other one I could find like this is Moody Blues “A Question of Balance”.

And as far as the OP goes, when I stumbled across my Blood Sweat & Tears “Child Is Father To The Man” LP, I remembered how much those adult heads on the little kid bodies used to freak me out.

The monolith.

“My god, it’s full of pee!”

Andy Warhol’s voyeuristic view of Joe Dallesandro’s crotch!! :smiley:

You mean this? (Note: in order to adhere to the two-click rule, to see the actual cover is #5 on the list)

Flash and the Pan’s first album was a Hypgnosis photo of people sitting in chaises on the beach with their hands behind their heads and with with frisbees floating all around them. If you look closely, there’s an atomic mushroom cloud in the background.

Their second, “Lights in the Night” was a black cover with a picture of three boys watching a die going past them. But take a look at that scratch on the front: you can see the cover of their first album peeking through, ing and the original LP the black was a wash over the album cover of the first.

The best example I can think of is the first Emerson, Lake & Palmer album. Jethro Tull’s Stormwatch also qualifies, although it is not at all obvious that the image is continuous unless you scrutinize it. There are also the Island-era albums by Jade Warrior, Floating World, Waves, Kites, and I believe Way of the Sun, though I no longer have the vinyl of the last to verify.

Dark Side of the Moon and A Question of Balance, already suggested, actually are gatefold covers.

“Thick As A Brick” - Jethro Tull

http://www.j-tull.com/discography/thickasabrick/

The album opened up into a newspaper that is absolutely hilarious in a Monty Python way (the same man is engaged to one woman & then a birth announcement gives him as father in another column of the paper).

Really funny stuff (better than I describe here)

VCNJ~

Alice Cooper’s “School’s Out”, with it’s opening desk gatefold and paper panties on the LP was interesting.

Toe Fat had a couple of pretty bizzare covers, one of them by Hipgnosis.

One we enjoyed before was Les Dudek’s Say No More. I’m going to be flored if anyone recognizes it but the jam and cover both were pretty titillating.