Say, Lucas, About Those Scenes That "Never Happened"

Snow speeder Kamikaze was definately In the ESB I saw, whilst the Biggs scene was not in the TNH I saw both were early runs of the UK release. The Snowspeeder kamikaze was a bit similar to the Xwing crashing into death star. I don’t remember if it damaged th AT-AT though, I thought it just exploded against the armor showing the AT-ATs were pretty much unstoppable (until the lassoo tactik was attempted.

Luke and Biggs at the moisture farm, watching the battle through binoculars, was in the movie. An earlier scene with Luke fetching Biggs from the cantina is what’s being discussed.

Yes, but surely you remember when Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark was in theaters?

I don’t remember seeing the Biggs scene, but it was definitely in the storybook that I received for Christmas the year the movie came out.

For ESB, I never saw the snowspeeder scene, but I definitely remember a different camera angle to when Han Solo slashes open the tauntaun. In all the versions out now, you get a close-up of the guts. When I saw it in the theater, it was from far away…you could see Solo’s back and Luke lying next to the animal. No question in my mind.
How come that website doesn’t have the scene where the little rodent creature that hangs out on Jabba’s tail starts eating the tail during the night? I’m pretty sure I still have a VHS tape where you see the damage done to the tail for a few frames.

Darn, wish I still had that picture book. Last time I remember seeing it, it was in good shape too for something I read 1000 times as a little kid. Anyhow, if my memories are correct, it appears the book was based on an earlier version of the story outline/shooting script than what was eventually shot and then cut. Very confusing!

The picture book featured the still of Biggs and Luke standing purposefully on the ledge (same as what you can see at the Lost Scenes site linked above) and the inset closeup as well. I have no memory of it mentioning Luke going to town and meeting Biggs at the catina so I figured that picture was supposed to be on Luke’s farm.

A scene where Luke is watching the battle is definately in the movie, after we’ve already seen how the battle ends. Somewhere along the line, Biggs shows up and Luke comments on the battle - possibly right after it ended from their POV - followed by Biggs saying he’s going to join the Imperial Academy.

Not in the one I saw in UK a few days after it was released. Interesting that the changed versions go way back to 1977.

Do you remember scenes where the battle is shown from a distance? That’s Luke’s POV.

If not, you really did see a different version in '77.

I saw Star Wars the day after it opened. Twice. I know that the scene with Biggs wasn’t in it, because I’ve never seen it (and I’ve long ago lost count of how many times I’ve seen the film). It was in the comic, I believe (which came out before the films).

I don’t know, maybe I’m mistaken too. I know there’s a scene with Luke watching the battle and subsequently talking about it with someone. Maybe that someone wasn’t Biggs. Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen, perhaps?

Granted, I was only four when it came out, but I made my parents take me to see the movie about a half dozen times, so I knew it backwards and forwards. When I got the picture book, I was confused because there were photos of this guy in a cheesy moustache talking to Luke whom I’d never seen before (I never connected him to the later scenes on Yavin).

And as someone mentioned, all these scenes were in the radio version. Maybe because you actually did hear them acted out once, combined with seeing photos, you’re assuming you saw them in the movie.

There was a radio version? How were the special effects?

Not only that, but you know that section of still color photos in the middle of the Star Wars novelization? I had a first-year paperback printing of that book in which one of those still shots was from that scene with Luke and Biggs on Tatooine.

The later reprint edition paperback I have now does not contain that photo, however. (Gah, even the book has multiple versions!)

Definately not in the version I saw, though I think I have seen that shot on a televised repeat or an about the film documentory some years later.

I’ve not heard the radio version, and the paperback version of the book that I was given from a friend when I was in high school had the pictures of Han talking to Jabba (played by a person), but I don’t recall if it had any shots of Biggs or not. Will have to see if I can find my copy this weekend and check it out.

I saw it within a week of when it was released, and managed to fit in a few more viewings that summer. When they relreleased in periodicly, I managed to get another viewing or two in. The only place I’ve encountered that scene was in the book, and the comic book.

Not in the actual reel that I watched several hundred times in my family’s movie theater (alone, after hours) when I was young, when it was first released. I have the entire movie committed to memory, every sound, every musical cue, every foreign language. That scene was not in the movie.

Our reel had the “Close the blast doors!” line, the “I think so” line by Aunt Beru in a melancholy inflection, the “all his friends have gone” line from Aunt Beru that does not emphasize the word “gone”, the sound effect from the snake-looking creature in the cantina that pops up in profile facing left, the higher-pitched noise that the potato-grinder made when a potato was inserted by Aunt Beru, the changing noise when Chewie locks in auxiliary power, but not that scene. I still have the Beta copies that we made from the original reels, and I can check tonight if you need more proof.

The Kamikaze Snowspeeder from ESB was also in our master reel.

Wait a second…are you saying that you actually have a reel that shows the kamikaze snowspeeder?

If so, vindication! Screw you, doubters.

If not, and I need to stack up further evidence, I go with Wedge saying, in Leia’s voice, “One more pass.”

How, through several rereleases and two (known) revisions we still have that error?

Because the kamikaze was chopped!

-Joe

I’ve never heard of the comic book or the radio show and didn’t read the novel until high school, so why do I remember seeing the battle from Luke’s perspective in '77?