Shooting at Virginia Tech

Sounds like there was one gunman in a dorm and another in a classroom. I heard one person was shot earlier, so when I checked the news again a few minutes ago and saw it was up to 20 or 22. Just horrifying.

Columbine was a high school, this is a college. I don’t think you can compare the two.

Two separate shootings? Oh, Christ. It’s a horrible situation. My thoughts and prayers go out to our VA Dopers.

Jesus. CNN is reporting 22 dead and the gunman, I don’t know if the shooter is included in that figure.

The VT president has a statement online here; I’ll quote it here because it took me a couple tries to get the page to load.

So horrible. I can’t believe this keeps happening!!

If these are unconnected I will be very surprised. They have to be tied to the bomb threats somehow.

My deepest condolences to the families of the victims and all who went through this tragedy.

It’s also worse than the clocktower nutcase from the 60s. I don’t think it makes a difference that these were college kids. Students are students.

The sniper at the University of Texas in the 1960s killed 16 people and the whackjob who shot up the McDonald’s in California killed 21 people.

Thanks for clearing that up. I’ve looked at it a dozen times, but I couldn’t make anything out for sure.

Caveat: it’s breaking news, and we don’t know everything just yet. But I’m watching CNN and it appears there were two shooters. One shot students in a classroom. One was in a residence hall. There are no word for how horrible this is.

22 dead, 27 injured.

This is the second shooting on the campus this academic year. :frowning:

There was also a bomb threat last week, in fact several.

My heart goes out to the victims and their families, and the folks in the community. The resident advisors apparently were going to rooms telling kids to stay inside as the shooter was firing. Amazing.

Having worked in residence life, I am so saddened by this. Kids just going about their day-to-day business. It’s so tragic.

So they have one shooter in custody, and are searching for the other? Is the shooter they have from the first or last shooting?

It is my understanding that there appears to be only one shooter, who is now dead. He started in one residence hall and fled then, two hours later, reappeared across campus.

CNN is now reporting there was one shooter. But apparently the shootings took place across campus from each other, and they took place a little time apart.

The bomb threat last week was called in to the same engineering building that the shooting took place this morning.

Reports are that the shooter is dead, however, there are reports that there were two shooters, so we don’t really know, I’d say. It’s too early for us to get a handle on the details.

Another gun-free school zone in which the victims had no chance at all of defending themselves.

Awful. Just Awful.

I don’t think this is correct. There were two separate shootings, but all indications are that it was one shooter. MSNBC says it was a college aged male armed with one 9mm pistol and another handgun.

I have two cousins there, and they are both OK. But for about an hour, we didn’t have any word and it was a bit scary.

I actually have several friends and acquaintances at Va Tech. The one I’m closest to took a job in DC last year.

This is a horrible, horrible event. I went to the University of Texas, and people still talk about Charles Whitman shooting people from the tower in 1967. Blacksburg is a small place… what a dark day this is.

:rolleyes:

Are you actually trying to make this a gun-control issue?

police are reporting that the gunman was killed as well. Fucker deserved it, better not have shot any of my friends.