I’ve never been in your position, so maybe everything I say in this post is unrealistic. I don’t head a lab. Hell, I don’t even have a PhD (I’m getting a master’s in December, though, if everything works out OK. And, while I’m in the biological sciences, I’m doing work in forest ecology. I’ve never done anything involving mice.)
So, like I said, maybe I’m out to lunch on this, but it seems to me that you’re not in as lousy a situation as you may think. Yeah, you’re scared of looking for a new job, your finances don’t look so hot, you really want to finish your bachelor’s, and you’ve gotten flack from people because you don’t have your degree. The PI seems busy and maybe a little brusque (faculty in the sciences who don’t seem brusque are pretty rare, I find), and you don’t know him too well, so you feel not so great about approaching him. It seems to you like you’ve got a lot to lose, very little to gain, and not much chance of regaining what you will have lost when the grant money stops flowing in.
But think of this from the PI’s perspective:
-
He’s at a time when his major grant is walking out the door. That means he’s probably already looking like crazy for a new grant. Once he gets that grant, he’ll be looking for staff. Having to train staff–or even having to get used to staff–takes time and effort that I’m sure your PI would rather invest elsewhere. The PI might be willing to do a little work now to make sure he keeps you, rather than having to do a lot of work later (and take on some risk) to find a new manager. Really, it wouldn’t cost him more than a small exchange of e-mails to see if he can get some departmental funding to pay you until the next grant comes through.
-
The PI’s got to know that you’re doing at least a pretty good job. If you weren’t, he would have heard something from the grad students. Grad students aren’t going to keep quiet about anything that would threaten to impede their research. They’d go squawking to the PI if anything were really amiss. In fact, I’d bet you see your PI so infrequently in part because you do a good job.
-
Even if the PI looks more closely at your work and finds that he doesn’t like what you’ve been doing (which seems very unlikely to me), it’s in the PI’s best interests to at least give you a good reference. After all, you’ve been in the lab for about a year. If you’ve been working for the PI for a year, and you’ve been doing a lousy job all that time–what does that say about the PI’s lack of attentiveness and/or commitment to his work and to his grad students’ research? Besides, all it would cost him to be a good reference to you is a 10-minute phone call or a brief e-mail exchange. Giving someone bad reviews takes longer, because he’d have to do more explaining.
-
If he can help find you a job with a colleague of his, that means he’s done favors for two people: the first is you, of course, but the second is the colleague. Things like this can help forge good relationships among scientists, which can be pretty crucial in all aspects of getting a project done. I don’t know of any recent significant work in the biological sciences that’s been done by one person working in isolation.
-
Speaking of forging good relationships–your PI doesn’t know when or if he’ll work with you or hear from you again. You’re close to getting your bachelor’s done, and, for all he knows, maybe you’ll fast-track your way to a PhD relatively soon. It makes sense not to be unneccesarily mean to someone who you might have as a colleague in the not-too-distant future.
Do you know for a fact that you’re going to be out of a job once the DH leaves? I’ve known more than one lab head who’s managed to keep on staff even when the lab is changing projects. It might make sense for you to write an e-mail to your PI and ask. (I’m sorry if I missed some info that would answer that question. I’m feeling too lazy right now to look up earlier threads about whether or not there’s a chance of continuing funding.)
As far as the DH goes–I really don’t think you need to concern yourself so much about what he thinks of lab managers. If you send him an e-mail and ask him about job leads, the worst thing he can do is send back a message that says, “Get lost!” or simply not reply. And, just as in the PI’s case, being at least gracious enough to you is probably in the DH’s best interest.
It might make sense to talk with the grad students and postdocs about the lab’s funding situation (and your job search), too. The grad students might know something that helps you out. Besides, the DH’s imminent departure affects them, too, and I doubt they’re happy about it. You and the grad students might be able to help each other out.