State of the Union Address, March 7, 2024

I’ve got CNN on, and the address is due to start in about 40 minutes.

Covering Gaza protesters outside the White House. Apparently, they want to block the road, preventing Biden’s motorcade from leaving. That’s unlikely to happen, but the commentator is saying that they’ll be happy if they score a symbolic victory.

Jumping here from the 2023 sotu … The grown ups are talking. I like that.
No, they won’t keep Biden at the WH, but I hope something good on that front comes from this speech.

The CNN folks are talking about the probability of Biden being heckled during the speech, likely by MTG and Lauren Boebert.

Let’s pause and consider how freaking childish and classless it is to act in such a manner on such an occasion.

mmm

Biden is leaving the White House now.

I fully expect there to be heckling during the speech. It’s one thing if it’s in “good” taste (“That’s not true!”) but it’s another entirely if it’s not (“Bullshit!”). A little respect for the setting, in other words.

Respect for anything and Republicans don’t go in the same sentence.

My how capital-C Conservatism has fallen. Respect for history and officialdom used to be their middle name.

Hence why I have completely retired the word “conservat*” from my political vocabulary. Reactionary Fascists are any/everything BUT conservative.

Twits are saying this is planned ( the protestors) so Joe won’t have to speak And its an insurrection.

Beautiful sage green on Jill. But not white like the other women Democrats

Loren Boebert: redacted for nastiness

Watching on PBS. These things are boring. I wonder if I’ll make it through. :wink: But y’all are going to help me with snark, right?

Huh, MTG managing to hand Biden a communion wafer?

Best internet line I’ve seen so far:

HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM, BOEBERT

Marge is already showing what a class act she is. Putting a maga hat (I think) on the floor. She’s just the gift of idiocy and red neckerie that just keeps giving.

In addition to here, I’m watching a predominantly right-wing message board. Some selected comments:

“He has shark eyes. He’s doped up.”

“Wow I never saw so many leftist Communists in one room.”

“I wonder if he even knows why he’s there.”

“Officially past his bedtime.”

Speaker Johnson almost imperceptibly nods at “unacceptable” re Trump encouraging Putin.

It won’t go unpunished

Joe’s come out swinging.

Gotta’ be physically less taxing to be the non-presidential party at this shin-dig.

The speaker looks a bit queasy now.

I hope someone knocked that hat off greene’s head.

He just took a swipe at the SCOTUS justices in attendance about Roe v. Wade. Holy hannah. He didn’t just come out swinging; he’s continuing to do that.

Calling out SCOTUS on Roe and reproductive freedom.

Fired up Joe!

Mike Johnson wonders when recess is.