The legend of Zeldar

Well, I’m guilty of having contributed to many of those threads, but, yeah, this seems to have become some sort of weird obsession with him. I now feel bad for contributing to the obvious annoyance being shown here.

Guy could maybe get a job coming up with survey results for Family Feud.

Some people just like facts and figures and lists and stats.

Some people don’t always have the best ability to take social cues and they get overly enthusiastic about a topic without realizing that the people around them aren’t quite as interested.

I suspect Zeldar might fall into both of these categories. I myself suffer a bit of both, and can sympathize. However, enough is enough, man!

It’s like the Sharknado 3 of Cafe Society!

Poll: top five Sharknado movies!

I’m on board with this Pitting. Dude needs to stop and I too am surprised the Mods haven’t told him to tone it down.

I know right?

In the ATMB, the mods have said they have asked him to curtail his poll threads.

As far as obsessive SDMB posters go, he’s pretty harmless. That said, those of us who post in The Game Room have been familiar with this behavior for a long time.

There he posts inane threads about college football that he is responsible for 80% of the posts in. Sometimes he’ll post six or seven times in a row over the course of a month, apparently not realizing that nobody but he cares. He’ll post a thread asking for predictions about college football games in April, six months before the season starts, and well before 30% of the starters in the SEC flunk out of school or get arrested for beating up their girlfriends.

And you can be sure every single post is an orderly list to be tabulated later for the six people who responded.

Yeah, I walked into Café Society the other day and was like ‘da fuck?’ and then turned around left.

I just assumed he was a teacher bored on summer break. I’ve enjoyed Zeldar’s polls in the past and generally like to follow along although they can get hard to read with him bumping them every other post with an update rather than discussion about the poll.

That being said the 50 threads are making Cafe Society hard to skim through and his constant bumps make it hard to find other things to talk about. I’m not surprised that he got pitted and fully support it. I’d like him to keep making polls but confine it to one tournament at a time and try to minimize the bumps so its more of a conversation then a series of snap shots of the poll.

Maybe he’s one of those savants that just like lists and order?

I curious as to why Zeldar is compelled to make these polls.

Is he trying to find work in spamming clickbait?

Did he use some bot to determine Cafe Society interests by subject and make polls based on the most common, or did he just choose “favorite <past era actor/director>” from out his own ass? Is he consulting the data to find his favorite Doper by empirical means? Is he going to stalk said Doper after the results are in?

Or… could he be mocking us?

Nah, I know he isn’t trolling, he has been at this for years now. Dude really likes his lists.

But polls aren’t interesting, not by themselves. A poll is an aid to a discussion, on its own its just a list and lists are boring. The worst part is that his threads don’t even generate discussion, just post after post of people giving their own top fives, post after contentless post containing nothing but the names of five peole, or five movies, or five species of fish. Boring boring boring.

Once a week might be interesting, or at least a reasonable number even if I don’t find it interesting. After all, there are a ton of threads I have no interest in. I’m not saying that he needs his own personal Reeder rule, but I hope the mods are a bit more aggressive on the sheer number.

When I saw the thread that was just people listing sandwiches, I knew I would not be returning.

Sandwiches.

What is it with this board and the overkill of lists? You ask something like “Recommend a book like X” and someone will come in and spam you with 200 books. That’s not a recommendation, that’s a library. PICK ONE.

grumble mutter

He is half of an idiot savant.

Oh, the Mods on this board have ALWAYS been a buncha lackadaisical morons.

In fact, they should take anyone who’s ever been a Mod on this board, lay them out on a satin chaise longue, cover them with warm creme caramel, and have it slowly licked off by oiled, glistening, statuesque Nubian slaves. Or Swedes, if they prefer vanilla.

That would teach them.

No no, you got it all wrong. Anyone who’s ever had to put up with a Mod on this board gets the creme caramel licked off by the Nubians. The Mods still get the creme caramel treatment, but it gets removed by ants with little torches strapped to their heads.

Just wanted to clear that up before things got awkward.

Hey! You stole my post!

I might even enjoy contributing my little list of movies or whatever if these threads were opened once a week. The polls from another user on top 40 songs for each year were actually a lot of fun.

But to just keep churning out one after another is ridiculous.

Like many, I’ve contributed to the making of some lists and to some of the voting, but came to realize recently that I was helping to create a monster that even Jason would have problems slaying, sort of like when nonsensical games took over the Games forum. Now, Zeldar seems like a harmless sort, and I don’t recall anybody having a confrontation with him; I think his fetish is benign and that he felt these threads were looked upon favorably by most folks. Hopefully, he’ll tone it back a bit.