The Unfortunate Effect of the Negative Stereotype [ed. title]

Thank you for acknowledging me as a ‘fellow’. I consider it a privilege to be able to associate with as fine a people as all you are on this SDMB.

It is difficult to explain to someone how to critique their own actions and words without an illustrative example. It was an unintentional shortcoming of the OP not apologizing in advance for the grades. I apologize now for any anguish that my OP might have caused.

“Do you agree or disagree with my scaling of the manifestation of prejudice for each post?”

I offer the balance of the OP as evidence of my own wisdom.

Shodan’s post in the first line appeared to be a quote from someone else but it was not quoted so I wasn’t sure. I apologize to Shodan for my error if he did not make the quote. Even in sarcasm hate speech is prejudice and is destructive to the dialog.

In the statement “your candidate really is evil, and if you won’t admit that, then you must be evil too!" hate speech? Is there anything worthwhile in making this statement?

Let people come to their own conclusions about it. :wink:

Shodan was making an over-the-top paraphrase to support his post.

I looked at the post again without my prejudice toward prejudice and finally saw the quotes. WOW and FAROUT and ZOUNDS what a lesson!!!

The Op was all about love. Discipline of a child has to come from love else the child does not learn. I maintain that we all have this little child in our heads that keeps telling use that we were hurt in the past and causes us to react automatically to protect our adult selves from hurt again. See http://www.moretolife.org/. When I use the word “Childishness” I am referring to that inner child.
I love you Man!

Hence forward the titles of my OPs will be “The Inner Childishness of …”
And by the way I have 16 Ops on my agenda concerning “The Inner Childishness”. One down, this one in process and 14 more to go.

Don’t quit your day job.

Regards,
Shodan

People who accept negative stereotypes are poopyheads.

Oh, trust me, you beat them hard enough, they’re going to learn.

But no, seriously, people do tend to get hysterical in political threads, and it’s probably bad for honest discourse.

And if you disagree with that, you’re wrong, and probably a bad person.

No. It’s to vent and blow off steam. People find them entertaining.

Irrelevant since disagreeing with someone strongly, even to the point of personal insult is not hate speech.

It’s ridiculous and borderline offensive to compare heated internet discussion with very real prejudice against minority groups such as Jews and Blacks.

In the sense of bigotry towards ethnic/racial minorities, gays, women, minority religions? Of course not. But that’s got nothing to do with internet arguments. None of the statements you quoted were hate speech. Some of them may have showed ill-temper or lack of thought, but they were not hate speech.

I will never say anything negative about anyone based on their race gender orientation or religious upbringing.

Most bigots get pitted pretty quickly. I might join in the pile on if I’m bored.
It’s ridiculous to apply the Allport scale to internet discussions. No one on this board, no one you quoted in your OP, is going to lead a genocide.

Also your OP could have been a lot shorter and more coherent. You just re-stated Smiling bandit’s OP in the linked thread, only with a lot of irrelevant verbiage and distracting jargon.

I have already shed a lot of my job responsibility, because I believe strongly that I must join in the battle of fighting ignorance with only 175 days until the general election. Also, I know it is vitally important to ease the pain in the teeming masses of which I am part of.

Does a Whoosh fall before or after Extermination on the Allport’s Scale? :cool:

The OP may have a valid point, but the fact that he called us “childish” prevents me from seeing it. I am now hardened in my opposition to his viewpoint … whatever it may be.

May I suggest you revise your agenda, and rephrase it as “The inner Childlikeness of …”, as “childishness” is usually viewed as a pejorative?
Also, if you’d added the “…Inner…” to this thread title, it would read a little different in tone, too.

Burger King’s loss is our gain.

Regards,
Shodan

My OP is relevant to the GD only. But I ask, does it make good sense to rant in public? The rants are widely distributed over the net.

I can see how you, a First-degree Mischlinge, would find the comparison ridiculous and borderline offensive but the hate for the Jewish people and the Blacks started in ill-tempered discussions just as this with a lack of thought and reached such a pitch that it led to oppression and genocide. Is their another scale that could be applied to Internet discussions?

There no words that I know how use to express my empathy for you to the degree that you would like me to. I am just incomplete.

As an example of Scale 4 Physical Attack see http://www.tuftsobserver.org/news/20050930/politics_of_fear_politica.html

As the adults here we must exhibit wise restraint especially in the Internet discussion because the words written here are disseminated around the world.

Thank you for the input. I will see if the mod can change the title.

I thank you for considering me a gain to the SDMB.

:smiley:
focusonz,

whilst I think you have a point, you seem to be rather stereotyped in your posting (as has been pointed out by others).

You also wildly overestimate the influence of the SDMB when you state “As the adults here we must exhibit wise restraint especially in the Internet discussion because the words written here are disseminated around the world.”
There are only a few SDMB thousand members, many of whom will not read the political threads and, of the remainder, many will have already made up their minds (or have no US voting rights).

I don’t know or care about your political stance, but I’ll just say that this, in combination with the thread’s title, is a spectacularly ill-considered way to open an argument. I see at least three condescensions and you’re barely fifty words in.

Bah, focusonz is an amateur. I manage six condescensions every day before breakfast. My wife is so proud of me.

It would be revealing how many non-member people log onto a thread.
or log onto Boardreader - Forum Search Engine
or how kids use this
http://boardreader.com/tp/fourteenth+amendment+for+kids.html
look down the postings and you will see one of mine.

this one is still in beta
http://www.boardtracker.com/