UK football, season 2008/09, forecasts

Nope, just you

And me. Is now the time to trot out the old “I hope City don’t get relegated this season, I always enjoy the six points”?

You mean the 6 pts we took off you last season?

:smiley:

But that was with Super-Sven! He’s gone now and so are your chances of any points against us :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t you have any football teams in Iceland?

I mean most manure fans come from places outside of Manchester…y’know like Hong Kong, Singapore, Ulan Bator,Rejkavik, and all points East.

Just sayin’

Sure we do - and the best one (FH) is going to play Aston Villa next week.

Icelandic football is however not known for its brilliance,and grandpa told me 20 years ago that Man U was the best, so that’s the way it is :wink:

(but the best team evah’, is still Malmö FF from Sweden - but that’s for another thread)

ETA: …all points east? Reykjavik is in that case veeery east of England :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=WormTheRed

Icelandic football is however not known for its brilliance,and grandpa told me 20 years ago that Man U was the best, so that’s the way it is :wink:
So if gramps had told you 20 years ago that Accrington Stanley were the best that would have been it?

Most likely yes - which only goes to prove his good taste :slight_smile:

And sure - I don’t deny that the Man U of the 90.ies had me completely charmed.

Predictions, hmm.

I find it frustrating being a supporter of Celtic. We play in a Mickey Mouse league, with only one serious challenger. We’ll win, I think, but really, who knows? If we win a CL game away from home I’ll call it a good season.

In other news: WGS will sign a couple of donkeys, Thomas Gravesen will get sectioned before we can get rid of him, and we’ll be knocked out of the cup by Cowdenbeath.

The quote isn’t from this thread but I’d be interested to know why you’ve got such a down on Hughes. I think he’ll give you more success than Sven, and he might not be the darling of the tabloids but his teams usually do all right.

I’m hoping for at least mid table security this season. On the one hand I think a lot of teams will underestimate us but on the other we’ll have to integrate a bunch of Spanish players into English football.

Some names which I hope will make an impact in the championship.
Jordi Gomez - year long loan from Espanyol
Gorka Pintado - striker, and I’ve got a feeling in my water he’ll score a good few goals.
Andrea Orlandi - yes he’s a bloke, but just coming back from a serious injury, I reckon he’ll be up to championship levels.
Federico Bessone - Argentinian defender.
Albert Serran - Spanish, leaps like a salmon when defending those high balls (you couldn’t make that one up)
Mark Gower - an Englishman for a change,

Well at least you don’t have to worry about Gretna

[QUOTE=chowder]

I hope you are right but we both remember a series of 90’s pre-seasons in Scandinavia and the Isle of Man where we were hopeless. And what followed afterwards. I’ll feel happier if we can get a good centre-forward. We simply cannot afford to start with Mr-Score-One-in-Ten-Chances-Vassell as the main striker. Jo will probably be good, but he’s more a second striker like Elano.

Maybe Castillo, Bojinov, Caicedo or Sturridge will come through. (Caicedo is great in my all-conquering Football Manager 2008 side!)

Elano on the right works for me. I like Petrov but his lack of ability and reluctance to defend means we need a good fast left back and that isn’t Ball. I’ve given up on Fernandes in midfield but Richards would probably do a great job in his place.

Ireland as the creative midfielder? Maybe.

But it’s Hughes first season - and maybe Thakasin’s troubles will work to our advantage by keeping him out of Hughes’ hair so he can build a side.

I hope i’m wrong. How we do over the weekend will be key I think. Give us a good fighting win against Milan and I’ll be smiling.

And the Corluka to Spurs stories have firmed up today. :frowning:

I have this feeling that Vassell is gonna come good this season and also Petrov.

I think that Hughes’ no nonsense approach, play your heart out or you’re on the bench, style of managership will suit City fine.

For far to long we’ve had managers at Maine Road and Eastlands who’ve been content with trying to be one of the boys, I just doesn’t work.

Pull that Blue shirt on and work your fucking socks off…or else

Petrov is class but Vassell just doesn’t have the presence of mind or the first touch. Give him any time to think and he fluffs it but we can but hope. Maybe Sturridge, once he learns he doesn’t have to try and score with every touch, will be useful.

I really wish we could get SWP back.

What I love about City is that we are giving English lads a chance to make it.

:smack: Now I know what they mean when they say comedy is all about the timing :).

Heh, true. That threat to our dominance of the Scottish game has been removed by the Official Receiver.

You can’t have them because Liverpool is going to take them - particularly since Ronaldo will spend more time whining than playing.
sigh I hope, at least. Having Keane up front with Torres will turn them into a scoring machine, I think, and if the Barry talk ever turns into action this could be really interesting.

It’d be even more interesting if we picked up defenders that didn’t allow in six goals in a single match. :stuck_out_tongue:

I always thought Vassell looked so much better for England than he ever has at club level. I was surprised Sven didn’t get the best out of him. Petrov is class.

Are we predicting the final league table yet? I reckon…

1. Man United
  2. Chelsea
  3. Liverpool
  4. Arsenal
  5. Villa
  6. Spurs
  7. Porthsmouth
  8. Man City
  9. Everton
  10. Sunderland
  11. West Ham
    12.Wigan