Who is Quinn the Eskimo and why is he 'mighty'?

[moderating]
I have shuffled this music question off to Cafe Society from General Questions.
[/moderating]

Since my original link to the Savage Innocents is long dead, here’s one to the Wiki article (which of course didn’t exist 12 years ago).

From the Wiki on the song itself:

Quinn the Eskimo.

I don’t think CS existed back in 2001. IIRC, they opened it about a year later.

Why are zombies always revived by moronic posts by newbies? That is the Question of the Ages.

This is moronic? It’s heavy, Man.

Even without getting into the zombie eskimo issue, this has to be one of the oddest thread revivals I’ve seen.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

When the Grateful Dead covered this song, everybody who didn’t already have one wanted a dose.

Moronic? I thought it was funny, with a SDMBish twist, and want to welcome mikethelight as a natural for this dump. And if he means it and believes that incoherent claptrap? So much the better! But I do think (hope) you got whooshed.

This song was done during the Basement Tapes sessions. It is one of the more understandable ones. Explain “Yay, Heavy, and a Bottle of Bread,” sometime.

BTW, the movie “The Mighty Quinn” is set in the Caribbean with the detective named Quinn. The inhabitants of the island sing the song (leaving out Eskimo) at one point - that is it for a conncection.

I remember that. Animals without backbones hid from each other, or fell down. During this extinct time, our earth was like a steam room - and no one, not even man, could get in. Then, millions of years later, after a 28-day cooling-off period, the moon arose, fell down, and finally arose by another name: Luna. It has a fine pendulum-based action and ceases to exist when you’re not looking at it, which will be fixed in the next beta. The sand dollar shrank to nothing, and small, dying creatures ate edible plants in rows. This was the Late Devouring Period; we finally had food, but no aperitifs.

We were small, then, and when we were pushed, we fell down, according to Fudd’s First Law of Opposition. But when we joined our universe, which was already in progress, we made enough noise to keep the wolves awake. Now, everywhere we go, we drop a great load of knowledge, forming a rich compost where slumbers the modifying spark of Doperness.

Wait a sec. God of the Sea Fisher and Eater of Men?

The Mighty Quin is Cthulhu?!?

I guess you must mean Bruce the Shark, who you could consider a Quintator when he ate Quint.

He’s certainly mighty. Reviving a thread from 2001 is a bit impressive. :slight_smile:

That was a fun read. And as for the “revolution” thread that gave birth to it, is **Upham **still around? Or many posters from that thread? And when do we get our revolution? And just what about this better cake to eat?
(Is it shameful and considered ground for expulsion from the SDMB if I admit that |I have only ever heard of the unspellable Cthulhu here and I have still never read any Lovecraft. I think I’m sort of resisting doing so if it is very much the expected thing. A bit childish of me, yes).

[quote=“Voyager, post:49, topic:53551”]

This song was done during the Basement Tapes sessions. It is one of the more understandable ones. Explain “Yay, Heavy, and a Bottle of Bread,” sometime.

Welp, “Yay, Heavy” is via Shakespeare, Measure for Measure if you must know. And in fact ALL the wacky lyrics on the Basement Tapes are via Shakespeare, albeit “metabolized” so thoroughly that only the King Lear-bit in “Tears of Rage” has been spotted so far. "Mighty Quinn has a number of “indicators” tracing it to Richard III, but that is only a START in decoding it. The ultimate upshot is that “Quinn” is a close acquaintance of Dylan… not that I can get anyone interested in my hair-brained (sic) down-to-my-knees theory… Lord knows I’ve TRIED… CULTURE MONITOR: Who is the "Mighty Quinn"?

Kwinn the Eskimo was one of the finest people to ever cross paths with GI Joe.

[quote=“PanderWee, post:54, topic:53551”]

This is the revival of a year old revival to a 13 year old thread, just so everyone notices.
I’ll have to reread Measure for Measure, but I don’t remember “nose full of pus” in it. In any case, Dylan’s lyrics change over time, before and after releases, so the “official” version is just a snapshot. Check out the Whitmark demo CDs for lots of examples.

BTW, I think I’ve just falsified free will. When I was reading the original thread I constructed a reply - which was almost identical to what I wrote a year ago, including Yea Heavy and a Bottle of Bread. Scary.

Also btw the entire set of Basement tapes is being or has just been officially released. I’m saving my pennies.

There’s a hooker in Measure for Measure, and hence “poor little chauffeur she was still in bed.” The “nose full of pus”?–not sure, but #3 here looks promising: Search Results :|: Open Source Shakespeare                

Note that there is a time-reference in both; and Bob sure does love his puns and extravagant wordplay! (e.g. “You’ll not see nothing in Quinn” IS a Nazi pun, weirdly enough).

But there is just an appalling heap of detail involved in the whole thesis, hard to summarize here. Did you read the blogpost? The Hamlet stuff in “Crash on the Levee” is pretty eye-popping, because Bob is basically singing from Prince Hamlet’s point-of-view and blaming Ophelia for her own drowning. I’d say that’s very, VERY interesting… =o

Actually:

http://www.opensourceshakespeare.org/search/search-results.php?link=con&searchtype=exact&works[]=measure&keyword1=knows&sortby=WorkName&pleasewait=1&msg=sr

Damn! Just try “Knows” when you reach concordance!

I was going to point out the “Dose” thing, too. Maybe it’s Quinn himself that they want a dose of.

This reminds me of when I read an essay about Like a Rolling Stone written by a high swchool kid and posted online.

“I think this song is about drugs.”