Wizard Wars on SyFy

That would make sense, but they didn’t actually say counterclockwise. They said “this way” motioning with their hands. But you may be right, they provide just enough ambiguity and they can force green, though they still need a rigged die, because 1 won’t get there in any way.

In this case, they set their subjective opinion on “wow” for the second team to win pretty high. Yes, the magic was better, making me more wow, but the first team used the cabinet unconventionally and were very funny. But there’s room for opinions to differ.

Well I do like the competition, and want to see who the judges pick.

If you just want to watch magic shows, there’s lots of venues for that. My wife and I like the critique from well-known magicians on what makes one performance better than another. (Plus, learning words like “flash” – she saw a give-away on how a trick was done, but WE certainly didn’t.)

The commentary is interesting. I like that they must create an act around random items, and I like seeing what they come up with. It’s just the “competition” aspect of it seems clumsy and tacked on to me.

So-so. I’ve watched the first 1.5 episodes and so far I’m pretty underwhelmed. The puppy was cute, though.

It’s not like they have months and months to prepare, like a professional stage show, they have a few hours at most. It’s not the most astonishing magic I’ve ever seen, but it’s a good show, IMHO.

I think I would have to agree. In most other shows, there’s a concept that the judges are trying to mentor the participants, so that they can go on to fame and fortune (or at least, get a well-paying job in the industry). In this show, the judges seem to simply be judging, with no particular expectation that they’re going to change that participant’s career path.

But the judging itself isn’t very interesting since we’re not allowed to see the majority of the deliberation. Presumably, most of it is based on technical stuff that we’re not allowed to hear, so any sort of attempt to edit it for public consumption would just be a series of beeps. Not too interesting nor useful. And minus the technical stuff, which is presumably a large part of the grade, there’s not much for them to say and what they say has only limited relevance to their vote.

That said, I don’t mind the judging aspect. But I do agree that it’s a bit superfluous, so far as entertainment goes.

I imagine that all the episodes are in the can already, so there’s no chance of changing the format for the rest of the series. But maybe in the future seasons (if there are any) they’ll figure out a way to add more to the judging process. Maybe the judges could go in and re-use the props to re-enact parts of the routine, how they would like to see it done, so there’s more of a mentoring angle. Or, similarly, we could see them giving lessons, providing advise, and making some specific challenges for the participants, based on their weaknesses, during the trick designing phase. Then, during the judgement phase, they could relate back to some of the specific goals they had talked about, and how the participant had done.

I’m liking the format the way it is. There’s no need for this to be a mentoring program specifically, this is about seeing what these people stuck together can draw up on the fly. It’s a mix of improv with magic. I do agree that not seeing the deliberations is a little tough on seeing just the judge’s decisions, but it’s only three episodes now, so let’s give it a bit of time to work out.

This episode had some great elements.

First off, the saw trick from the Wizards was neat. Shimshi helped sell the performance with his well-timed head bob.

Challenger Team 1: Blake Vogt and Adam Trent

Challenger Team 2: Cashaan Wallace and Dan Hauss

Challenge round items: Deck of Tarot cards, remote controlled helicopter, sparklers

Team 1: Sparklers on the helicopter blades was a scary idea. I’m glad they didn’t go with that. I agree with Jason, the first trick with the helicopter flying in the table was odd and unnecessary. These two had a really good team dynamic, and integrated the items very well throughout the act. And they played to their audience by using the Tarot cards as cards for a card trick, not selling mysticism. Both teams had to work around the “how do you fly a helicopter” problem; this team used the helicopter blades for the reveal with the sparklers was pretty neat. Coming up with a prediction trick that none of the judges knew was awesome.

Team 2: Opening with sleight of hand let them play to their strengths and set up the Tarot card past-present-future bit, so that was good. Using custom images on the cards to display their predictions worked. Using the battery compartment on the remote for the reveal was a creative way around the “fly a helicopter” problem and was an okay misdirect; however, I found the act a little stiff because of it. Using a “failure” to set up a creative reveal is tricky to keep the audience. Having the reveal in someone else’s hands is always a good, flashy technique to sell a trick.

I thought the first team had a little better dynamic, I liked their integration of the props better, and the deal clencher has to be using a trick that the judges didn’t know how it was done. (They’d have won on Penn & Teller: Fool Us). Team 1 for the first round.

The intermission act was a cute silverware sleight of hand trick.

Wizard War round: use salt and pepper shakers, a chess set, a rocking chair, and a pirate costume

Challengers: Once again, the chemistry between the guys is smooth. The private/pirate autocorrect bit was a cute way to knock out the costume, thought there was a little flash on costume right before Blake stepped behind the curtain. When I first saw the salt and pepper shakers and the chess pieces, it was the obvious choice to mix them, but they took it a step further than simple swap out. However, pulling out the big pepper shaker shows chess pieces inside - I was trying to figure out what was in the shaker because it was black pieces of something, not pepper. The salt was better hidden. None of the chess and salt & pepper act was particularly deceptive, and there’s one spot where arguably the camera trick was helpful. When Blake hands off the bandanna to Adam, he’s still sitting at the chess board when the camera follows the bandanna for Adam’s disappearance trick. That’s when Blake reveals the white chess pieces, but misdirection has the audience’s attention focused on what Adam is doing. However, the camera following a close up means you couldn’t watch what Blake’s doing if you thought to. And the chess board swap had a little malfunction slip as well.

But what punches their act to excellent is the very creative paper rocking chair. That was a complete surprise. Very creative trick.

Wizards: Angela Funovits and Shimshi take on the challenge. It would have been cheap to put Angela in the pirate outfit to just to look cute, so I’m glad they tried something different. The Black and White party was looking at the items and finding their common thread, so that was good. The spirit cabinet part, though, wasn’t that great - the rope tie wasn’t very convincing and the way Shimshi put on the shirt was pretty shoddy. The use of the salt and pepper themselves for the trick rather than the shakers was okay. The mentalism bit with the chess set, though, was excellent.

Once again, there were strong and weak elements for both teams. I happen to agree with the results, the creativity of the rocking chair trick by the challengers was the best part, though the chess set mentalism was pretty good.

I will also point out that out of three shows, the challengers have one twice, and arguably should have one the first time. So right now, the Wizards’ record isn’t looking that good.

One further comment: there’s another magic show running on Friday nights called “The Masters of Illusion”. It’s a thirty minute program showing off some professional magicians doing big stage tricks.

There are one or two interesting tricks out of a bunch of plain ones, but the reason I mention it in this thread is that one of the “Masters” that showed up on that program is Murry Sawchuck, the blond-headed spike-haired challenger from week 2 here. That’s right, a “challenger” on this show is good enough that he’s a “Master” on another TV show. And that’s no slight on that program, he’s mixed with the likes of Jason Pendragon (for some unexplained reason it’s not both the Pendragons).

(Incidentally, Jason Pendragon pulls off a cut the woman in half act that is very convincing even with the audience knowing the standard tricks. I had to go back and look at it more closely to see what I missed the first time through.)

I think the main problem was that the act was simply too long, compared to how many tricks they actually performed. That was a whole lot of setup just to have the conclusion be that they pass the ring into the audience.

I was expecting more, given that the one guy was billed as a magician’s magician.

Yeah, I haven’t been too impressed with the wizards. The twisted wine glass in episode one and the forks and spoons acts in this episode were both major duds.

Are the teams who won done? Or are they going to be called back to fight again and work their way up a ladder to become the ultimate winner of the show?

I’m pretty sure that the first part was an “instant stooge”.

The second part…

I think it’s more a “flipbook” than a “card”

I find it amusing that NOTHING in the little “watch them at work” ever goes into their show. (Well, almost nothing, I think we saw them start to build their own chess board. But, by and large, the bit about them in the workroom is purely fun.)

I like the host,** Ellen Fox**, who used to host the Rotten Tomatoes Show on Current. Good to see her finally get another network gig.

Okay, looking up terms, that makes sense. I was kinda thinking flipbook, but that still left a lot to work with. But adding the “instant stooge” would limit it.

You’re saying by picking the hot chick and giving her the box, the box told her which card to pick. By telling her she was hot, that was a subtle incentive to go along with the gag?

Well, they do have to play around to come up with what they’re going to end up with. If you watched the clip I linked previously about the concept, those people were all magicians performing for each other. In that context, it made sense that they shared the details of the trick they were going for, because it wasn’t about fooling anyone as much as giving a good performance. But when packaged for this program and a general audience, “giving away” the tricks they are going to do would be a bit of a letdown, and ruin one of the elements they are being measured on. So it makes sense they go play around with a lot of crap that doesn’t get used so they have some filmable bits to show them backstage.

Question: do you think it would change the dynamic to stop showing any of the backstage? Does showing the backstage add any value?

An example of something we saw - in both cases, the teams learned something about the helicopters that affected what they did. On team tried the sparklers and discovered just how bad an idea that is. The other team quickly discovered that unless you are practiced, it is difficult to control those little helicopters. I know this from experience, I have a tiny remote helicopter. I played with it a while, and it takes a lot of effort to not be crashing all over the place. Even after lots of practice, I still have trouble with the controls - I want to rotate the wrong direction. There’s something counterintuitive about the controls for me - the controller is from your viewpoint but acts from the viewpoint of the cockpit, so if I the helicopter is facing me and I want it to go right, I have to move left. Etc. That is hard to adjust to.

Both teams dealt with that, but differently. Team 1 just tied the helicopter to the table, so there wasn’t any flying but it looks like it’s flying. Team 2 never powered the helicopter, and used the remote for a surprise reveal.

Another example was seeing how well trained the puppies were, to see if they could have the puppies move around. Nope.

Guys, I hate to burst your bubble, but the backstage stuff is not “film them working and edit together the best bits.” Everything you see backstage was scripted and filmed, probably after they finished putting together and rehearsing their actual trick. You can’t just walk into a prop room, pick up some objects at random, and do convincing tricks with them on the fly. That’s not how magic works.

I’m not sure that the “hot” was necessary, but basically. The “look closely at the box” part was probably the more salient bit.

[spoiler]I suspect that most people go along with it, just because they’ve been put in a spot and our natural inclination is to not ruin the show. You might notice a glove with a brick of spam being tossed into a guy’s lap in the first episode, as well. Possibly, the magicians screen the people in some way beforehand, to make sure they’re not buttheads.

Personally, I don’t think this is a very good method for running a trick. Even if it works 100% of the time, it lacks the subtlety, cleverness, and/or prowess that I would expect from a good show. Though of course, I’m a bit jaded, since I’ve seen a reasonable number of magic shows.[/spoiler]

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I think it’s very cute – although it’s obviously scripted, and therefore is certainly NOT going to give away any how-did-they-do-that tricks. I enjoy them, I just note that they’re not related to the main competition.

On the tarot trick: I’m confused. The woman picked the suit, but then she picked one of the judges and Teller picked the 9, right? So, even if the woman was an instant stooge, Teller would also have to be in on it, yes?

[spoiler]As a stooge, she picked “swords”, which allowed them to prefabricate the word on the helicopter blades and to reduce all future answers to the top row of cards.

For Teller, they had a flipbook of card faces for just the swords row, with a cover that looks like a card back. When he selected a “9”, they opened the flipbook to page 9.[/spoiler]

The only problem I have with your speculation is that (no offense) it’s so obvious that I can’t believe it would result in the level of bafflement that the judges seemed to display.
I also agree, btw, that something like “oooh, please pick swords because it will ruin the trick otherwise” is a LAME way for a trick to work. With a great magic trick, my response upon finding out how it’s done is “that is so AWESOME I would have NEVER thought of that wow”, which is not at ALL the case for purely psychological pressure tactics like that.

The second part could be something new. Just because something is straightforward doesn’t mean that it’s been done, before.

True… but that general principle (things that can unfold in different ways) is one that I know is VERY familiar.