What happens when you pour molten gold down someone's throat?

While reading a Roman history text book, I came across a reference to a king (Mithridates if you’re curious) who had molten gold poured down the throat of a captured Roman general. This begged the question, what happens when molten gold is poured down someone’s throat? Do they die instantly, or can a person live for a few minutes with molten metal running into his or her stomache? After the victim is dead, can you recover the gold? If so, all of it, or just most? These are the sort of questions that history books just aren’t good at answering.

dkoik

If you literally “poured” molten (liquid) gold down someone’s throat, they would almost certainly die, outside of one hell of a bout of emergency surgery, a lot of luck, and a long recovery.

I doubt that death would be sudden. I bet the person’s lungs would fill with blood.

The gold exists in a solid state at body temperature, so you’d just have to cut up the corpse to retrieve all the gold used.

1. He’ll be dead in a few seconds. Might not suffer much as he will probably be unconscious from the burning hot air and a scorched nervous connection.

2. What will happen is probably the gold burning through his jaws and throat before it even has the chance of reaching the stomach. Initial muscle contractions will prevent for a moment the gold from flowing down and it’ll well up.

3. Gold being so unreactive, it can probably be extracted by burning up the remains of the person

He can’t possibly survive, all major arteries to the brain would be burst beyond repair.

Kinda puts eating too-hot pizza in perspective, don’t it?

I can see it now: “Pour some gold down that general’s throat. And make sure to GET IT BACK!!! I’m not made of gold, you know.”

No, it didn’t.

One Cecil Adams (Perfect Master) says

It is possible that the Leidenfrost effect would prevent the tissues from actually burning through long enough for the molten metal to make it’s way down the oesophagus and/or windpipe - I would imagine any attempt ‘not to swallow’ would be pretty futile and would not stop the passage at all - possibly even a reflexive gasp might speed it on its way.

A few moments of unbelievably intense pain, then blackout through shock, quickly followed by death from internal damage, I would think, but IANAD, neither do I play one on TV.

If by poured they actually meant trickled, then I suspect it could be a little nastier and more drawn-out.