Friggin'? Frikkin'?

Some questions about the words friggin’ and frikkin’.*

1. Are these both the same word and I’m mishearing one?
  2. If they’re two different words: I figure “friggin’” means “fucking”. Does "frikkin’ " mean "freakin’ " or “fucking”?
  3. In this context what does "freakin’ " mean? Crazy?

[sub]*BAND NAME! :smiley: [/sub]

I wouldn’t look too deeply in to it. They don’t mean anything. They are just non-expletive ways of saying fucking.

I understand that they all mean the same thing.

Freakin
Fricken
Frikken
Friggin
Effing
Farking

I use them interchangably, anyways.

As far as I’m aware, friggin, frikkin, fuggin, freakin and most other permutations are masks for “fucking,” each having been the more popular permutation at one time or another.

Oddly enough, this particular subject was broached in today’s “Hi and Lois”. First time I remember seeing "friggin’ " in a daily comic strip.

Of course, I remember seeing that particular word being used in some of the more pulchritudinous men’s magazines coughPenthouse Forumcough as a synonym for female masturbation.

There is only one true form that means anything. Farking.

Ah! Youth (and a lack of dictonaries).

The verb frig means to masturbate.

In the late 1950s and early 1960s, it appeared in several novels (usually about the military) as a minced oath/substitute for fuck (which could still get a book in trouble at that time).

By the end of the 1960s, the word freak had morphed into a verb and the adjective (from the verb) freaking began to gain popularity.

Since a lot of impressionable teens read frig (correctly) as a substitute for fuck, many (lacking a fuller education) began to use the word to mean fuck.

I am not sure whether frickin’ is a corruption of friggin’, a conflation of friggin’ and freakin’, or some other construction, but it is basically a nonsense intensifier rather than actually carrying a meaning of its own. (No one actually fricks anything, while many people frig and fuck.)

Hmmm, the Merriam-Webster claims that frig has meant copulate since the sixteenth century. I cry error! on them. The OED indicates “rubbing or chafing” and I have never seen the word used to mean fuck* prior to the late 1950s.

So "Freakin’ " means fucking too. I never even thought about that. Thanks people.

Only as an adjectival or adverbial intensifier. One does not freak one’s SO (except by waving many-legged critters before his or her face).

Freakin’ as an adjective came from the labeling of hippies and related counter-culture types as freaks–a term they then happily applied to themselves and while adding the “ing” suffix, began to use to identify especially salubrious actions or events. That period did not last long, but the continued use of freakin’ as an intensifier lingered on, leading to my conjecture/question as to whether friggin’ and freakin’ may have been conflated to create frickin’. Farkin’ is, pretty clearly, simply a later continuation of the trend to move away from the original pronunciation of any of those words, much in the manner of par-taayyy! from party.

[Rod Flanders] “Ow, my freakin’ ears!” [/Rod Flanders]

As far as i know frig has been used in the substitutive (is that a word?) sense in Ireland since before the '60s. Unfortunately i don’t have a cite so i could be incorrect.

Well freak, maybe it’s time for me to change my nick. :frowning:

Fricking is cited from 1936. Freaking from 1928. Both were meant as a substitute for fucking. Either one could have been used before the other.

Frickin’ appears in print about 1970.

tom. The word frig used as an expletive(frig you!) and substitute for “fuck”, appears in print as early as 1879. It doesn’t show up in everyday usage until the 1930’s. But it appears about then used by Kingsley, O’Hara, etc.

There’s cursing in GQ! :eek: Somebody call the Morality Police :wink:

I’ll second the cry of error. Frig was used in victorian erotica to mean exactly what you said: masturbation. Only in regards to women, though, at least from what I’ve read…

sam, I’ll accept any version of a minced oath (or any effort to avoid a censorship trial) where frig is used for fuck. I suspect that the O’Hara and Kingsley citations were attempts to avoid censors, as well. (Dos Passos also used it, but it is not clear that he meant fuck, as opposed to simply using it as a general cuss word.) This obviously pushes it back prior to my 1950s dates. However, I’d be curious about the 1879 citation and what was actually meant by its use.

tom. The 1879 quote comes from The Pearl: reviewed thusly

from http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache:VrhmBB7FpJEC:www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1562011014%3Fvi%3Dglance+pearl+1879+book&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

The actual quoted cite is :

I guess I implied it was used as an expletive, rather I meant as a euphemism for “fuck.” Or, in the case of the Major’s quote, “screw 'em” or something like that.

[sub]Unless the Major was telling the Sgt. to go masturbate the prisoners[/sub] :eek:

tom and elfkin477. My sources do cite frig as a verb meaning copulation as early as 1610, but I personally think the quotes(1610, 1650, 1684) can be interepreted as either referring to masturbation or intercourse. They’re just not that clear cut, at least to me.
There is an 1865 cite which absolutely is referring to intercourse.