guilty pleasures (music)

Well guilty pleasure is relative obviously but in my case i haev two>
Justin Timberlake: His two singles have been awesome but this is for your eyes only. If i told this to anyone else in my school, i could easily become a pariah. ‘like i love you’ is a song that compels you to dance no matter what.
Eminem; I hate rap and i resent Eminem’s i hate you all attitude, but his recent songs-especially the delightfully dumb ‘superman’ have really been enjoyable.
Im so ashamed!:o

In general? Seventies and 80s love songs.

In particular? Air Supply, Barry Manilow, Loggins and Messina and Huey Lewis and the News. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay… not so much guilty as songs and groups about which my SO constantly insists that I should feel guilty. :eek:

Slip Way- Andrew Gold.

I enjoy “Bittersweet Symphony” by the Verve and “Lovefool” by the Cardigans.

I’m a huge sucker for 70s pop and “grab the Kleenex” country, which means pretty much half the music I listen to falls into the guilty pleasures category. The other half of my musical taste covers the spectrum from classical to blues to jazz to rock to folk. People have listened to some of my music and said “Wow, you have excellent taste” then spied the rest of my music collection and said, “Er…no you don’t.”

I don’t feel guilty about anything in my vast collection of CD’s.

That being said, I know a number of posters would turn up their noses at the following:

Backstreet Boys: The Hits (Chapter One)

Avril Lavigne: Let Go

Poison: Greatest Hits

America: The Complete Greatest Hits

I could go on for quite a while.

Eat 'em and Smile, by David Lee Roth
They Only Come Out at Night, by the Edgar Winter Group (especially Frankenstein).

I like Eminem too. I even saw 8 Mile.

Rod Stewart. What can I say? My mom raised me on him, and, IMHO, raised me right. And I’m not talking about his early career in the '60’s as a musical innovator. No, no; I’m talking about his pop opuses of the late 70’s and of the '80’s: Downtown Train (yeah, I know he didn’t right it), You’re In My Heart (Final Acclaim) (the best love song ever written), Forever Young, etc., etc… I’m recently starting to get into his early stuff (i.e., Every Picture Tells a Story), and it’s pretty good; but that which I grew up on will always be…

IN MY HEART…IN MY SOUL…WILL BE MY BREATH SHOULD I GROW OLD…

cough Apologies.

bows and walks off stage

–end scene–

What’s there to be ashamed of? They were one of the best British bands of the last decade.

Correction:

…I know he didn’t WRITE it…

As an English major, that hurt.

Brittany Spears: Slave 4 You (learn to spell, dammit!)

Backstreet Boys: Everybody (Rock Your Body)

Cardigans: Lovefool

Garth Brooks: The River

Various “Artists”–Lady Marmalade (Christina Aguliera still looks like a hooker clown in that video)
Yea, I have supped in the house of mine enemy, and it was good.

It’s Britney, KCSuze. :wink:

I own the Monkee’s Greatest Hits album and I’m starting to like Christina Aguilera against my better judgement.

Crappity crap. I should’ve known the more correct-looking spelling would be wrong. :smack:

Fight the lure of the painted devil!

Anything 80’s, especially the whole Depeche Mode/Duran Duran/Erasure area. I LOVE Erasure and they can take my mix cd from my cold, dead hands! I also second Huey Lewis!

::hides head and ducks:…Bon Jovi…and I can recite “Ice, Ice Baby” on command…

re: Christina Aguilera…she’s not much to look at, but man, she’s got a voice. Her first album was actually pretty good. Its a shame she got all sluttified…

Britney’s stuff is pretty catchy, and I still listen to my Backstreet Boys and N’Sync cd’s when no one is looking.

Mine has to be Billy Squire - Emotions in motion. Every weekend I have it cranked throughout the house. Everytime I hear it I get transported back to my high school days.

Journey, Peter Cetera, Michael Jackson, Eminem, ELP, Gary Numan, Motley Crue…There, I said it. :wink:

Hmm, I guess my guilty pleasures would be the ones in my CD collection that I never play for anyone else. That would be:

Backstreet Boys (just one cd)
Pink (OK, both of her cd’s)
Destiny’s Child (just one cd)
Alanis Morrissette (both cd’s)
Shania Twain (just one!)
Soundtrack of Mama Mia, broadway musical
Best of Neil Diamond (it was a gift!)

But I am proud of the fact that I have no Celine Dion, no Eminem, no Anne Murray, and no Rita MacNeill - now that would be really guilty! :wink:

I have a lot of Frank Sinatra, but I’m proud of that fact, and play it for others, so I don’t include it in this list!

I’m usually more electronic/alternative than this, really! And I listen to CBC! Really, I’m smart! :slight_smile:

Heather

Just one: Hayseed Dixie, though I have yet to buy their latest.

I am a guilty owner of Herb Alpert’s “Greatest Hits.”