"and I will hug him and love him and squeeze him and call him George"

OK, I know this is a line from a Warner Brothers cartoon! But even after a morning of googling, I’ve been unable to determine:

1. Which Cartoon
  2. What (if anything) the phrase is a take-off of.

Any more savvy dopers out there who can enlighten me?

I think it was one with a big dumb dog whose owners bring home a cat, maybe sylvester, and he wants to take care of it or something.

It’s from the one with the Abominable Snowman.

I didn’t know until MANY years after I saw the cartoon it’s a take-off of “Of Mice And Men”.

Aha! “Of Mice and Men”! No wonder it kept striking a chord! Thanks, Revtim!

Anybody got a link to the actual dialogue from the episode, or the episode title, or somesuch?

I have seen variations in Bugs Bunny cartoons.

I had always assumed that it was probablly related to “Of Mice And Men.”

My pleasure QtM! Maybe Googling the line with ‘Abominable’ will get you the ep title.

Title can be found here

Isn’t that what Elmira on Tiny Toons always used to say?

“I’m gonna hug you and squeeze you and hold you forever and ever!”

Tell me about the bunnies, George.

thanks, saitu!

Umm, Saitu that link sent me to “The Abominable Snow Rabbit”…

If I remember correctly it was an episode when Sylvester and some big dumb cat were patrolling the docks looking for mice. And they met the kangaroo, classic mis-apprehensoins and combat ensue. The big dumb cat wanted the mouse for a pet.

I know there was another similar episode with Sylvester and his son, but I’m sticking with my hazy childhood memory.

I suspect they may have used the “George” thing more than once, Carnalk. I remember it with the yeti.

Both Saitou and CarnalK are right – the line has been used several times in classic WB toons, including at least the two cited.

AFAIK, it’s never been used in any classic MGM toon, even the old Tex Avery George & Junior toons (which characters were, IIRC, inspired by Steinbeck).

Read the synopsis at the link CarnalK. It is indeed the correct episode. The line isn’t from any any of the Sylvester and son 'toons.

CarnalK,
According to this site there is indeed a Sylvester episode “Hoppy Go Lucky” which has a variation of the line (“To have one for my very own,to love him and pet him,to hug him and hug him,pet him and pet him”)

Revtim-Read the synopsis at the link CarnalK. It is indeed the correct episode. The line isn’t from any any of the Sylvester and son 'toons

Whaa? Somehow I merged the Khadaji’s “Mice and Men” and Saitou’s posts. Which means of course I completely missed your post in between, maybe I have repressed memories.

PS- I knew the line was not from a Sylvester&son ep. I meant there was a similar kangaroo mix up episode with S&s.

They have used the line numerous times for varying cartoons. I guarantee it. I can think of a couple of examples right now.

That big hairy beast thingy that Marvin the Martian sometimes used as his thug, for example, said it at least once.

I’m a Googler too! :smiley:

Daizy

The line was spoken by Hugo (the abominable snow creature) in “Spaced Out Bunny” c1980, in which Bugs is captured by Marvin the Martian and taken to Mars. There he is handed over to Hugo, who treats Bugs as a pet/playmate. Bugs states at this time, “oh no, not again…”

“I will hug him, and stroke him, and cuddle him and sing to him and call him george.”

-fornit

Yes, it is Hugo that I remember repeating the line.