My leg gets hot in one spot ... WHY???

For the past week or so, an area on my leg has been getting really hot. It’s kind of on the outside of my calf, and it feels like it’s about as big as my hand. There’s no injury there, and it doesn’t LOOK any different. I thought I was losing my mind, but my b/f touched it and he could feel it too! It seems to happen more often when I’m sitting still. It’s the strangest thing - does anyone have any idea what’s happening to me?

Not to freak you out on so little information, but if I were you I would go to the doctor. I had a similar thing happen to me a few years back, and it turned out to be a blood clot.

(IANAD, however, which is why I recommend talking to yours.)

No idea, so I know you are glad to see me posting here, but I thought I would add my one cent here. From time to time, one of my ears gets bright red, and the other looks normal. It does get slightly hotter than the other. My friends think it is “really cool”, but I think it makes me look very wierd.

Your calves are normally about 4[sup]o[/sup] F cooler than the rest of your body. Go see a doctor.

I would have to go with the other dopers here, go see a doctor, it could be nothing, or it could be something that could be fixed. Don’t let fear get the best of you, go to a doctor and find out, please do yourself a favor and do not wait until it gets worse, ignoring it would be the worst option, good luck and let us know how it turns out :slight_smile:

Thanks … sounds like I’m not being overly hypochondriatic (is that a word?) by worrying about this. I’m seeing my doctor this afternoon!

My sister had a similar problem and was diagnosed with a blood clot and cellulitis, which is an infection that can be very dangerous. See a doctor.

I went through the same thing a couple months ago, for about 2 weeks. Then, as suddenly as it started, it stopped. Gee, that was helpful. Anyway, I…ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!! thud

[sub]see a doctor[/sub]

You might have a varicose vein under there. My wife’s varicose veins got hot before she had them removed.

At any rate, see a doctor. Whatever it is does not sound good.

You might have a varicose vein under there. My wife’s varicose veins got hot before she had them removed.

At any rate, see a doctor. Whatever it is does not sound good.

Well, just because everyone else already told you and it sounds like great advice: See your doctor, get peace of mind.

That happens to me occasionally too. I’ve never had it explained. It seems so random. I always assumed it was harmless, maybe some weird allergic reaction or something. Now, after reading these posts about fatal blood clots etc., I fully expect my head to explode next time.

You could also try sitting a little further away from the radiator…

I’d like to hear a follow-up after the doctor visit.

Hi all … saw the doc yesterday p.m. and he was a lot of help … NOT! Basically he said if it always felt hot, it could be a symptom of a pinched nerve or a varicose vein or something. Or if the heat was accompanied by swelling or discolouration or a rash or something, it would be worthy of further investigation. But because it comes & goes, with no rhyme or reason, he really has no explanation for it, but that IHHO it isn’t anything to worry about. He admitted it wasn’t something he’d ever come across before, but that he couldn’t think of any reason for concern. I specifically asked about a blood clot and he said absolutely not.

So thanks all for your advice & concern … looks like I’ll live! :slight_smile:

Moejuck & Mayor McJ - one or both of my ears will often go bright red and get hot to the touch … my brother’s do as well … especially if we’re tired, angry or embarrassed … so far it hasn’t killed us!

I would now…just got it…I have been to three or four doctors no good answers…I have taken pics…goes away but I want to know why they are happening and how to not get them…they hurt. It is like I dropped a hot iron on it. I have been to urgent care, family dr., my arthritis dr. and my dermatologist. I am going to try my OBGyn, my orthopedics and my dentist next. It is crazy…Maybe my Heart doctor can help.

IANOD, but I’m pretty sure you are in the middle of what is known in the industry as “Zombification”

Zombie or not, there is an answer.

The calf muscle is the one prone to cramps. This may just be that you are repairing some injury due to a cramp. The infection may occur, but like, thats when you are crying in pain when you walk…

If you are getting cramps, drink less caffiene… drink less diuretics (caffeine,alcohol, sugar, ) and try to eat better (vege’s and so on … for the range of vitamins and minerals.)