Ask the Debt Collector (Ouch, stop hitting me!)

Ok, there were all these threads a few days ago called “Ask the ____”!

For some reason, today seems to be money day. I have seen no less than 4-5 new threads started regarding debts, financial problems, and specifically debt collection agencies.

I am volunteering my services to you guys. I will answer your questions regarding anything to do with debts, collection agencies, skip tracing, how tos and whys.

(Of course, all of you who had questions already started your own threads, didn’t you? :slight_smile: )

~J

How often and how far down do you negotiate debt?

I have an $800 sprained ankle bill that I really can’t afford to pay. Do you think they would take $400?

Hospital bills are usually lenient.

Is the bill already in collections? Collection department of the hospital or independent agency? How old is the bill?

An independent collector CANNOT make an agreement regarding a settlement amount, they would have to take it back to their client first (the hospital or doctor’s office).

The most common mistake people make is not asking. POLITELY and with a great deal of respect for the person with the crappiest job in the world.

I’ll be able to give you a bit more of a detailed answer when the rest of the questions are answered.

~J

Bill has been in collections (independent agency) for about 4 months. Ankle was sprained almost two years ago.

Have not had any contact with the collections agent other than them sending me “monthly payment” requests, something I never agreed to.

It doesn’t matter if you agreed to pay, sending monthly payment requests is their way of covering their backsides should the hospital decide to sue you for the money.

2 years, that means the hospital has 5 years left to try and collect from you…and a good address obviously. You are in CA, I’m not sure of the wage garnishment laws out there, but hospital bills are RARELY taken that far unless it’s for a larger sum.

Call the agency, tell them you’d like to “settle” this bill, as you realize you are responsible for it, but money is tight, and if possible could they call the hospital and find out if you can make a settlement. IF they act like this is a problem, circumvent them. Call the hospital yourself, again being OH SO POLITE, and talk to the billing staff. “I have this bill, I want to pay but $800 is a bit steep for my budget. I can send you a check fo $400 TODAY. Is that acceptable? WILL YOU MARK THIS BILL SIF on my credit?”

They may just send you back to the collection agency, but it’s always worth a try. The hospital is not above trying to screw the collection agency out of the work it did. If you pay directly to them, they don’t have to pay the agency (usually). But try the collection agency first, and always be polite to them. They are the ones that put the bad mark on your credit, and they get to decide when and if it comes off.

~J

Oh, I’m very good at being polite. :wink:

Thank you very much for the advice, but I must ask, what is SIF?

I hate using acronyms I don;t know the meaning of.

Oh sorry! I put that in another thread, not this one.

SIF is settled in full, as opposed to PIF which is paid in full. Whichever you do, check your credit in 2-3 months to be sure it’s been notated. And I forgot to mention, if you do want to settle, the company will generally want that as one lump sump, not in payments.

Either way you are absolved of your debt, but settled just means you didn’t pay the WHOLE thing. :slight_smile:

~J

one last question: Would there be a difference on my credit score between SIF and PIF?

What are the most frequent excuses you get? The dumbest?

Let’s assume your charisma and phone-charm strike out.
Do you call on any of these for “deadbeats?”

[ul]
[li]Monkey Wrenches [/li][li]Anvils[/li][li]Flash Grenades[/li][li]Sherrifs [/li][li]Wrecker Tow Trucks (for cheap rides)[/li][li]Flatbeds (for expensive rides) [/li][li]Opal![/li][li]Coat Hangers/Slim Jims (cheap)[/li][li]Lock Picks (expensive)[/li][li]Lawyers[/li][/ul]

I’m entirely kidding.

I’m a bit sketchy on that. Mainly because I’ve never been on the side where people HAD good credit. ~L~

SIF at least shows that:

1. You owed money, and you paid a chunk of it willingly.

2. You are responsible enough to take care of your bills.

3. You care about your credit.

4. Y’all thought I’d put Hi Opal! for 3, didn’t you?!?!
    It could have a less than favorable impact on your credit, BUT it will not keep you from anything important, IMO. It will show a $0 balance, and it is a hospital bill, which creditors take more leniently anyway.

Credit scores are actually just some weird mumbo jumbo that the “Big 3” use to keep track. Most creditors will look at the actual items individually to see what your payment history looks like.

~J

Thank you Jaade. You rocketh.

My dad was a bill collector for like 30 years.

i have no questions, only a request.

Just don’t try to force your kids to be staunch catholics please, and if your middle child wants to major in psychology rather than accounting or business, give him a break, it’s what he’s interested in. There’s more to life than money, Damn!

I have a few questions.

What is skip tracing and how does it work?

Do you use a specialized database that helps you track people down?

At what point do the lawyers get involved?

Please eradicate my ignorance.

Why are hospital bills taken more leniently?

Everyone gets sick or injured sooner or later, and never at a financially convenient time. You need to get well, but you don’t need that big stereo system or fancy car or some other thing that you’re behind on the payments for.

In other words, you made a bad finacial decision to buy the new car and should be held accountable for it. You didn’t choose to have a tumor start growing in your belly.

The girl who had my work number before me was a dead beat. How can I tell the next collector that I really, honestly, completely have no idea how to get a hold of the woman. I’m the one who replaced her.

I’ve never had a need for you to call me. Do you like me for that?

How many times a day do you here the phrase “You can’t get blood from a turnip”?

You know, if you tell them that she doesn’t work here anymore (and she doesn’t) they should go away. If they doubt you, refer them to your HR department.

Ok, DSL went out last night ~sigh~ when I was answering Tasty, so I have much catching up to do.

Slice, most frequent excuses? I didn’t know about this bill/check/warrant, or I forgot. There is of course the obligatory, “oh yeah! I got your letter and I sent out the payment yesterday.” The dumbest tend to be excuses blaming other people. I’ll let you know if I think of a really funny one. People truly aren’t original when it comes to this.

“You can’t get blood from a turnip!” :rolleyes: How incredible, I never considered asking a turnip to pay your bills.

Corbomite, sherriffs and lawyers. :slight_smile: I never did car repos so calling a tow truck, etc wouldn’t be my department. (Unfortunately, not kidding.)

Tastycorn, you are welcome. :slight_smile: Good luck!

**Greck[b/], my family is Pentecostal, a far cry from Catholicism(sp??), and I just want my kids to be happy, loved, and wealthy enough to support their mother. If they can do that with art, I’m fully behind them. Pyschology is a great field of work!

Blergh, back to work, the rest will have to wait a few hours!

~J

See, all we need’s a ‘Ask the Repo Man’ Thread and we’re all set. :smiley: