How do I get rid of the rubber glove smell?

Argh!

There’s nothing I hate more than cleaning… except perhaps having to wear rubber gloves while cleaning.

It’s not the gloves per se… but the damn rubber glove smell that’s left on me and will simply not go away!

No amount of hand (and arm) washing gets rid of it. Scrubbing only serves to leave my skin in pain as well as stinky.

Today I had the novel idea of coating my arms in fragranced talcum powder and this has gone a small way to alleviating the problem. But… I can still smell it!!!

Please help me. The smell is driving me bonkers. I’m very sensitive to smells like this and it usually leaves me with a splitting headache. Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Max.

Try rubbing your hands with something made of stainless steel under cold running water. I bought a so called “oder remover” from a kitchen store years ago, but all it is is a block of stainess steel. I’ve found that the same results can be had by rubbing my hands against a SS spatula under running water. It’s worked well enough to remove bleach and fish odors from my hands.

OR, how about buying some vinyl or nitrile gloves–they don’t leave a smell and are non-allergenic, unlike latex gloves.

Lemon juice or vanilla, whichever you prefer the smell of.

Actually now that I think of it, what I use at the moment is a pump bottle of Aqium - it’s an antibacterial ethanol gel which cleans without water and evaporates off. I guess I’ve had this bottle 6 months.

Thanks everyone! I shall try the stainless steel method immediately :slight_smile: And yes… non-latex gloves are now on the shopping list!

Thanks again :smiley:
Max.

One more trick for you. Keep a small container of used coffee grounds near the kitchen sink. Rub some on your hands after chopping garlic, handling fish, etc. Works great!

Maxxxie, if latex gloves actually give you a headache, you might have a latex allergy. If so, that’s something to keep in mind when you visit a doctor or give blood.