100 Greatest Stand-Ups of All Time

Did anyone catch this on Comedy Central this week? It ran all week, and today (Saturday) they’re repeating in as a ‘marathon’. They haven’t updated since the finale last night, but here’s the list from 100 up to 21:

http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/100greatest/list.jhtml

Interesting show. The host panel detracted from the clips, rather than adding anything, but I’m curious about what you think of the rankings. There aren’t many comics I can think of who should have made the list and didn’t, but I think I would have ranked them a lot differently. Rosanne is in the top ten, and I think that’s ridiculous. Damon Wayans ranks higher than Billy Connolly?? On what criteria??

I won’t spoil the top 20 in case y’all havent seen it yet, but my take on the top two is that they ought to have been reversed. I DO think they had the top two correct, just in the wrong order, and I must admit that I think that was because it was a politically correct choice.

ACK! Mods, help. I stuck this in the wrong place. Meant to put it in Cafe Society.

I blame insufficient caffeine intake.

Wasn’t Richard Belzer the narrator with the clips? If so, why didn’t he host?

Commenting on the list: Even in the high 90’s, Joey Bishop and Andrew “Dice” Clay have no business being on this list at all, seeing how neither of them have ever been funny.

Mort Sahl seems to be ranked awfully low at No. 40, seeing as how he’s responsible for a huge hunk of modern comedy.

Yeah, Belzer did the voiceover hosting. The panel hosts were really stupid - I don’t think they had much to do with ranking the comics, and they themselves aren’t exactly the world’s greatest comedians either (although personally I do like Dom Irerra.) The whole panel thing was just unneeded snark and an excuse to promote Sierra Mist.

I thought the ranking was kinda weird, in a way. Seemed to be a split between “old-school” comics and whoever was really hot at any given time. So Joey Bishop was on there because he represented a certain style, whereas Clay was on there because he represented a certain time, you know?

Could you post the top 20 in a spoiler box so I can work out what non-Americans have to do to qualify. Looking at 21 to 100 no-one else on earth is at all funny.

Well, I can’t do 'em in order, because my brain is undercaffeinated, but here’s the ones I remember that made the top 20:

[spoiler] Roseanne Barr, Lenny Bruce, Chris Rock, Johnny Carson, Jerry Seinfeld, Rodney Dangerfield… umm… I honestly can’t remember names just now.

Number two was George Carlin. I think he shoulda been number one, for his sheer body of work and his consistent style. Number one was Richard Pryor who is definitely excellent - but who I feel was ranked above Carlin because of his controversies. [/spoiler]

I see many Newhart clones, where did the man himself rank? Too low obviously because he’s funnier than numbers 1 and 2.

Eddie Izzard did wander in at No. 75, and at least one Canadian – Norm MacDonald – made it as well.

Did you have some nominees in mind?

Oh, yes, he was in the top ten as well.

Y’all are right, not too many non-Americans on the list: Eddie Izzard should have been ranked MUCH higher, as should Billy Connolly. Coupla Canadiens made it, although I’m damned if I know which ones.

I kept thinking about comedic actors and sketch comedians and had to keep reminding myself that they were talking about standup only. Which then made me wonder why Johnny Carson really made the list - he’s funny, yes, and he’s an icon, no doubt, but I don’t call his monologues standup as such. Letterman and Leno I could see, since they have their roots in standup, but Carson?

How the hell did Ray Ramono rank above Lewis Black and Dave Atell? Why is Denis Leary even on the list?
This needs to be in the Pit.
Grrrrrrrr…

Arthur Askey
Jo Brand.
Tommy Cooper
Jack Dee
Les Dawson
Ben Elton
Lenny Henry
Harry Hill
Frankie Howerd

Don Rickles was in the top 20, too. Just remembered.

I wouldn’t pit this, I’m not THAT ticked about the rankings, but I did have to laugh in a Pit type way over the panel hosts, who said of nearly EVERY black comic, “Oh, yeah, he really opened the doors for black comedians… um, Redd Foxx, yeah he was the first dirty black comic… and Dick Gregory, he was the first REAL black comic! Oh, and Chris Rock! Contemporary black comic! Eddie Murphy, yeah the first real edgy black comic!” (Oh yeah… Eddie Murphy made top 20, too.)

Oh and my mum says that the funniest thing she ever saw was Sid James in London after WWII. In the middle of his act, while talking, he fell face first onto the stage without interrupting his routine or trying to put his hands out to arrest his fall. He then stood up and brushed himself off while continuing his routine as though nothing had happened.

Only name that really rings a bell is Lenny Henry. The one time I saw him do a routine, it was atrocious. He couldn’t end a single joke without saying, “Take your (subject of joke) AND BUGGER OFF!!!”

Elton’s name sounds vaguely familiar, but I couldn’t tell you anything about him.

Ben Elton was Rowan Atkinson’s writing partner and helped create the Blackadder series.

And The Young Ones and Mr Bean and The Thin Blue Line and the stage show We Will Rock You.

I was curious as the what they used to rank them? I couldn’t find anything on their web site–and I was surprised by some of the people NOT on the list and some on.

Maybe they aren’t considered ‘true’ stand ups–but why wasn’t Whoopi Goldberg on the list? Or Lily Tomlin? Or Conan or Arsenio? I realize that all of these people had their fame ‘away’ from standup for the most part, but so did many of the comics they listed in the top 100.

Was an interesting show–but I was puzzled by the rankings. Halfway through the show I was thinking that they were just randomly showing the top 100 and that the rankings weren’t in any order—then the final 20 they stated that this was the countdown to the 20 funniest comedians.

Does anyone know how the list was selected? Was it by other comedians?

hakuna matata

Didn’t see it, but surely Bill Cosby was in the top 20?

Martin Lawrence was rated higher than John Stewart. :confused: :rolleyes:

I saw Wanda Sykes ranked higher than Eddie Izzard and stopped reading.