Deodorizing a car

Well, to make a long story short…as a favor to a friend I had her dead 175 pound great dane in my Jeep Wrangler soft top for 24 hours. They were 24 hot, sunny hours. And the dog died 24 hours before I arrived and had been sitting in the sun on her patio.

I have cleaned up the small amount of fluid that leaked, and there was no carpet in the back of the vehicle where the dog was.

How can I get rid of the odor? IT REEKS!! So far, Lysol(R) and Ozium(R) have put nary a dent in the eau de dead dog.

Oh, and PS…that old thing about good friends help you move bodies…:slight_smile:

Well, MythBusters did something on this. Basically, this company who deals in cleaning up dead things/bodily fluids has a proprietary liquid that uses enzymes to break down the stuff. Perhaps you could google around for something like that.

*MythBusters, was, IIRC, pig. Oh well. Pig~=dog

You might try some of the products that pet owners use to get out cat and dog pee/poo odors. Many of them work pretty well. And yes, I am speaking from experience here.

One product that many people say works for them is Nature’s Miracle, although I’ve found that it’s not as strong as Arm and Hammer Fresh n’ Clean Oxy Strength. I’ve bought both of these at Petland, although I bet nearly any pet supply store will have them.

Hehehe…I am a veterinarian. The products you are describing were the first thing I reached for (free is good). They didn’t do squat, but then again they are not marketed with any claims for this application;).

chaoticdonkey, I will look for that info. I have nothing better to do; certainly not going for a drive;)

Might as well give Febreze a shot.

If all else fails, you can always paint over the uncarpeted areas.

Eeek! Well, I tried! :o So much for that suggestion.

do a search for crime scene cleanup http://www.crimescenecleanup.com there are others as well.
maybe you could email them and get a free recommendation.

Thanks Rickster great site. Can’t find an email, but I’ll keep looking. Sounds like a job I would not want:

Hmmm…my 13 y.o. daughter and 10 y.o. son have been on vacation in Florida with their mom. Wonder how they will handle it when I pick them up tomorrow?

Me: “What smell?”

:wink:

Hmmm…if it works they might wanna do an ad featuring my “situation”. Naaah.

It probably isn’t going to sound like it but I do sympathise with you in this. And I have no suggestions. If a DVM who must have dealt with dead animals before is stumped, I can’t help.

However, this sounds like a good scenario for a Seinfeld episode.

You’re sure this Dane wasn’t just pining for the fjords?

Another vote for Febreze. Spray the whole damn van every day, once a day, for a week. Especially the upholstered seats and any carpeting you may have in the front. Upholstery and carpeting retain the odors long after you have eliminated them from the uncarpeted surface where the fluids collected.

Well, I am going to try Febreze. There is a touch of irony here. Years ago there was an internet hoax about Febreze being deadly to pets! Cite:

hehehe…howzabout “My pet died and so I used Febreze”?

Perhaps you can turn your Jeep into an urban legend.

See here: http://www.snopes.com/autos/cursed/deathcar.asp

Also, a mention of a Seinfield episode…same problem on the smell, but, this one from body odor.

A few weeks ago my darling daughter :rolleyes: left a bottle of chocolate milk in my car. It was in there for almost a week before I used my car again and discovered it had curdled and exploded, getting nasty, spoiled milk everywhere!

My hero, Mr. Adoptamom, shampooed and scrubbed all of the soft surfaces in my car (I have a very queasy tummy) and there was still a residual nasty smell. He bought a bottle of Nilium from Home Depot and liberally scrubbed the interior with it and baking soda. We left that in over night and vaccumed it up the next day. My car smells better than it did before the milk explosion!

I suggest this device http://www.air-purifiers-cleaners.com/springair-classic.htm . Maybe this is kind of drastic. I have one. No dead bodies or anything but I like the way my house smells. There are a number of people who refute these claims about what these machines do. All I can say is that I have one and I am pleased with it. The guy that sold it to me told me it could eliminate very severe odors… smoke, skunk. However, we never discussed dead animals.

“Thanks Rickster great site. Can’t find an email, but I’ll keep looking. Sounds like a job I would not want”

I think I still have their card in my office, I’ll see if I can find it tomorrow; had to use them once for a work related job. no bodies, just animal feces in a house we condemned that hadn’t been cleaned in a good while.
they didn’t use it there but there is a air cleaner that removes the O2 from a space that kills all the odor causing bactira, for whatever reason I do believe it is very hard on the rubber door seals though. I’ll see if I can look it up

Found it quick enough, it wasn’t absence of O2 but an abundence of O3 which I think is still bad for rubber door seals. http://www.air-zone.com/shock.html
there is a link to the shock treatment i think she was talking about, again not endorsing a brand just a technique.
They charged us like 8k but that stinking filthy disgusting house which caused more than one person to puke is now on the market fresh and clean as ever.

Thanks everyone for the input. I emailed a company called Crime Scene Cleaners and the owner, Neal, just sent me his cell number. Later this afternoon I will call and see if the folks who handle “unattended deaths and violent suicides” has any further thoughts.

At this point the Febreeze has helped some.

Oh, and Adoptamom_II I really hate the smell of sour milk. I think dead dog is just a little more pleasant (IMHO).