How many sins are there in the Bible?

OK, the topic may be more suited for gd, but it is a factual question I’m asking.

Has anybody ever enumerated all the activities the Bible prohibits (i.e. sins)? Is there a master list of thou shalt nots anywhere?

I doubt it, but it would be interesting if there were and I’m curious if anybody’s ever heard of such a thing. And if so, just how many sins are there?

In the Talmud, Jewish scholars reckon that the Torah (Law) enumerates 613 mitzvot or commands that bind the covenant between the Jews and God. There are also the seven Noachide Laws that are reckoned to govern the behavior of Gentiles (although each of the seven duplicates one or more of the 613). I do not know whether there has been more splitting beyond that point to distinguish multiple “sins” within the 613 Mitzvot. Certainly the seven Noachide laws are broad enough to cover a multitude of sins.

List of the 613 Mitzvot

Noachide Laws

Depending on one’s interpretation, the New testament does or does not “add” laws with the commands to Love God and Love one’s neighbor (clearly found in the Torah), to do unto others as one would have them do to oneself, or a few other declarations.

Of course, no one could violate all 613 mitzvos. Some only apply to men, some only to women, some only to kohanim, some only to Levites and/or Israelites, some only in certain circumstances, etc. And, as tomndebb pointed out, non-Jews are not required to perform them (aside from the seven Noahide commandments) anyway.

Zev Steinhardt

No splitting, but one can violate the same sin for different actions. For example, there is a mitzvah not to perform work on shabbos. Work, however, is broken down into 39 different categories. So, for example, one who writes, lights a fire and builds a tent on shabbos violates the same commandment three times with three different actions.

Zev Steinhardt

OK, I just have to question the translation on 604-607, regarding the treatment of female captives of war. Specifically, the qualifier of ‘beautiful’ applied in each case. Does that mean what it sounds like? Can you do whatever you want with the ugly women?

Just curious …

There is apparently a good sized list of sins that rate the death penalty. In an NPR story about Sister Helen Prejean’s new book, she says she is often confronted by people who quote Exodus in order to justify capital punishment for murder.

She replies that nearby passages also talk of the death penalty for children sassing their parents, and over 30 capital sins.

Wouldn’t it also generally be considered (by christians) to remove some of the older pronouncements? Often WHICH is the source of much debate IME.

It may be worth pointing out that no serious moral theologian would define “sin” as “activity which the Bible prohibits.” (How they would define it is probably a matter for GD.)

Slight hijack: The list of given laws:

includes:
#72 That a bridegroom shall be exempt for a whole year from taking part in any public labor, such as military service, guarding the wall and similar duties (Deut. 24:5) (negative).

So my question is: Are newly married men (and women) in Israel exempt from military service?