Daughter calls her mom a bitch---is that 100% bad?

I was recently part of a discussion in which some guy described an incident in his household. His wife and 18 y/o daughter were embroiled in an argument which culminated in Daughter saying, “You can’t tell me what to do, you BITCH!” and storming off to her room.

In a blind rage, Dad followed, broke the door down (literally), grabbed Daughter, twisted her arm behind her back and “spanked her ass until my hand was red with broken blood vessels in my palm.” Allegedly, Daughter has not defied authority since.

Well. Whew. Wow. Way to keep your cool, Dad. Now, first and foremost, I want to establish that I think anyone calling their mom a “bitch” is something to be merely shrugged off. But I’m not quite convinced that it warranted this reaction.

Someone asked, “Would you have reacted the same way if this was your 18 y/o son?” He responded that he would have, but admitted that “an 18 y/o son might have made me regret my actions.”

But what I’m getting at here is that I don’t think a daughter calling her mother a bitch is analagous to a son doing the same.

Women settle their differences with words. That’s how it is. They get their frustrations out, relieve tension, and then they’re able to come to an agreement. Daughter calling Mom a bitch was disrespectful, certainly, but OTOH, Mom might have been doing some namecalling of her own.

In fact, I think in a way, women are actually better at reining themselves in than men are. When men start to get emotional, they’re liable to just keep going until someone bigger and stronger, or someone with a badge or gun, makes them stop. Whereas when women get into a dispute, they’re more likely to recognize the point of no return, and back off from it. So when Mom and Daughter are going at it, it might be better for Dad to simply take cover and come back when the smoke has cleared.

But if a son calls his mother a bitch, that’s a different matter. See, the thing is, kids relate one way to their same-sex parent, and another way to their opposite-sex parent. There was a thread years ago in which a male poster described a dispute he’d had with his late-teenage son, during which the son decided he was going to take it to a physical level. Someone responded, “Well, he’s at the age where he’s trying to establish himself as an alpha male. Not necessarily a bad thing, as long as you make it clear to him that you are still the alpha male in your house.”

And it’s often the same thing with mothers and daughters. Late-teen girls want to be the queen bee, while mom says, “Waitaminut…I’m still the queen bee around here!” In both cases, it’s important to establish that the daughter or son still has to defer to the same-sex parent, or else move out. But I don’t think that has to be done at the price of breaking their spirit entirely.

So, getting back to a son calling his mother a bitch. I know it’s a double standard, but I really think that’s unacceptable in a way that a daugher doing the same thing is not. Again, an SDMB reference, to a thread in which someone was describling their brother’s(?) rebellious stage, around age 13. He was apparently verbally abusive to Mom…for a little while, until Dad lowered the boom, telling him, “You don’t talk to your mother that way. You don’t talk to any woman that way. And most importantly, nobody talks to my wife that way.”

What I’m trying to say here is that mother-son and father-daughter are unequal relationships. Not that mother-daughter and father-son are equal, of course, but in those cases, they have similar mindsets. So if Daughter calls Mom a bitch, that’s more like she’s saying, “I’m my own woman, not a carbon copy of you!” She may be opposed to Mom for all the wrong reasons, but Mom probably understands at some level how she feels. Whereas Son calling Mom a bitch* is unlikely to be inspired by anything except a lack of respect for women. He might feel that Dad is a threat to his individuality, but there’s no reason why Mom would be.

So am I right or wrong? Is it possible, or even desirable, for someone to get through adolescence without ever clashing with their same-sex parent? And is “bitch” really the Deplorable Word from a daughter to a mother?

*And anyway, if he’s calling his mother a bitch, what’s he saying about himself?

So he spanked a grown woman’s, albeit his daughter, ass huh? – not sure “albeit” goes there.

I guess this is more an IMHO thing.

Spanking an 18-year old does not seem acceptable to me.

I also don’t accept the idea that her gender, or her relationship with her mother, justifies speaking in such a manner. Neither daughter nor mother should be hurling epithets. Change the genders of the parent and/or child and I’d feel the same way. Sure, parents and children clash. They should not handle it by acting like ill-behaved 3rd-graders.

The whole episode would horrify me–I can’t imagine why this guy is even telling the story.

I think the physical violence of the father would damage his relationship with his daughter far more than the ‘bitch’ insult would damage her relationship with her mother. What I mean to say is, the girl was wrong to say that, but the father was “wronger” to smack her one for it.

Well, you didn’t ask, but I’ll second the shock at the father’s reaction. Physically breaking the door down? Spanking his 18 year old until he hurt himself? That’s more than a bit scary.

I wouldn’t necessarially jump to that conclusion. Many folks (male and female) use ‘bitch’ when someone’s being a jerk, and that’s all it means. “That woman is a jerk.” I’d hesitate to assume that there was serious inter-gender disrespect without putting it more in context.
But, IMO, profanity towards parents is not in any way an acceptable way to express anger and frustration; I don’t know what I would do about it, but I’m sure that I’d not tear down any parts of my home. :slight_smile:

The young woman was wrong to call her mother a bitch as long as she was within the mother’s home turf and certainly if she was living there. She needs to either bite her tongue, choose her words more assertively or move out. I don’t think it was the end of the world, however.

The father committed criminal assault on his daughter and should have to face the consequences of his actions.

This puzzles me:

In this particular situation, I’m wondering why the mother waited for the father to lower the boom. This may have been sent a subliminal message to the son that women are too weak to fend for themselves.

I don’t really make that much of distinction between how male children and female children behave with either parent.

Well, right out of the box I have to qualify that I am from the rural south and that may color my feelings on the matter somewhat. What I mean to say is that I have never physically encountered a family (that I am aware of) where a child could talk to a parent that way under any circumstances. It just isn’t on the menu, and doesn’t even come up as an option.

Whatever attempts are made to break this down for the sake of discussion, we are still talking about the progeny/progenitor dynamic here. Parents create a child, nurture a child, finance the child’s continued existence, and train a child to do what’s right by whatever laws are paramount in the family and societal circle. We are talking about a complete lack of respect here.

Maybe there’s a difference between telling your mother she’s acting like a bitch and that she is a bitch, I wouldn’t know. The reason I wouldn’t know is because I never tried either one on to see if it would fit. My teeth aren’t perfect, but I’d prefer not to shit them out some 36 hours after addressing my mother as ‘bitch’, but that’s just me, I’m a different breed of cat.

But you know what? Having been raised this way, I think that I am a better person for it. And I know that today, when I overhear a child being disrespectful to a parent or any adult figure it sets me on fire in places I didn’t know existed, and if any child of mine addressed me or my spouse in that way it would turn out bad. Would I kick in a door? I doubt it, but so what if I did? Who’s getting hurt? I’m the one who has to replace it, and the show of anger will undoubtedly indicate how serious the matter is.

And if we’re comparing our family to a pack of dogs as far as offspring testing their boundaries then consider this: What kind of message is sent when a child breaches this boundary and the situation is not adequately addressed? Whatever respect the child did have is certainly diminished, correct?

There’s corrective action and then there is abuse. This, in my humble opinion, is not abuse, regardless of what the Department of Family and Children Services has to say on the matter. Abuse is what happens when you fail to instill an inherent moral base into a child so that they go out into a world with a flawed behavioral system that gets them into a lifetime of trouble. If you truly love your children, then I think it is your job to equip them with the tools they need to function normally in society. Did Scott Peterson’s parents ever use corporal punishment to discipline him as a child? Would it have made a difference? I don’t know, but I have my suspicions.

There is no ‘one size fits all’ policy with dealing out discipline to children. A few of them can be reasoned with. Most of them aren’t receptive to verbal reasoning (at least in the beginning).

Maybe I’m just too old-fashioned.

I don’t know if this part is true in an absolute sense. Physical fights between women tend to get pretty nasty; probably nastier than most male fights.

I’m sure I’m in the minority on this, but I don’t see anything wrong with what the father did. You probably have more insight as to how serious the problem was, but I don’t think it’s always wrong to physically punish a kid. I doesn’t seem like he makes a habit out of it, and it has apparently changed her behavior. Seems like he made the right move to me.

Rune: I’m pretty sure you used “albeit” correctly.

Well, I thought about putting it in that forum, but then I figured it wasn’t so much as “What would you do?” question as a “What do you think?” However, if a mod wants to move it, that’s cool.

Other people said the same thing. But according to him, she now thinks he’s The Man, so I guess he got his desired result.

I’ll get to that in a minute.

It was part of a literary discussion. People were weighing in on whether a teenage character was justified in his resentment towards his parents. This poster presented it as a “That’s what the parents should do!” scenario*.

Yeah, I agree with all of that. There comes a point where, if you really find your homelife to be unacceptable, you either deal with it or move on. But some parents don’t have a lot of perspective. Anyone who got all the way through their teen years without ever clashing with their parents either had perfect parents, had a retarded development, or simply wasn’t human.

And certainly, hurling epithets shouldn’t be allowed to continue…but some parents (over)react as if their kid is the only one, ever, in all of human history, to have rebelled against authority. It’s not something that should be allowed to escalate, or even continue, but it’s also the egg that has to be broken if you’re going to make an omelette.

If it even happened. See footnote.

Well, I don’t remember if the poster gave any detail on that. It could be that Mom did tell Son, “Don’t talk to me like that,” and he simply laughed in her face. Or it could be what you said. But in either case, his attitude might have grown out of having been getting that subliminal message you mentioned. Which means that Dad’s intervention didn’t necessarily solve the underlying problem: he might not have come to respect Mom, or women in general, but simply to respect men who were capable of kicking his ass.

You don’t? Because I think I have a valid point there.

When you’re in the stage of establishing your own identity, you naturally (if subconsciously) compare yourself to your same-sex parent. Do I want to be like hir? If so how much? And in what way? If I do, can I live up to them? If I don’t, how do I go about that? Will I/should I make the same decisions they did, and live like they do? This can lead to a lot of tension. And you just don’t look at the opposite-sex parent the same way. They’re not as scary or intimidating; you don’t hope to be like them, or fear that you will.

*I and two other posters wanted to pursue this further. Actually, my immediate reaction was to call shenanigans; can someone really break a door in half “without even realizing it”? Anyway, the mod told us stick to the lit discussion on the board and take the other matter to email. We did, but SuperDad never answered.

Spanking your kids isn’t evidence of good discipline. It’s evidence that you’ve lost control of the situation.

Raising well-behaved kids is like training dogs. A well-trained dog responds to a nod and a whistle. It’s only the poorly-trained dog that you have to beat with a stick.

A lot of parents aren’t willing to be strict with their kids. They let bad behavior slide until it gets so extreme that spanking is the only way to get the kid to take them seriously. Well, I suppose it’s good they’re not letting the kid run totally wild, but it’s not what I’d call a stern upbringing.

LOL, in my experience, none of them are receptive to reason, not even the bright ones. But they all instinctively understand dominance and authority, as long as you exercise it consistently and fairly. The key is to establish patterns of obedience and respect when they’re little and get those behaviors so ingrained that they become second nature.

The dad in the OP lost control of the situation a looong time ago. Yeah, he’s temporarily scared his daughter into keeping her mouth shut. But I bet she still thinks her mom is a bitch … .

Euthanasiast, I believe you when you say you’d never have used that word, and I’m not trying to pick a fight, but are you telling me that you never, ever in all your life questioned your parents’ judgment? You never had a disagreement? You were never angry at them?

Yeah, well. I believe in spanking, when it’s justified, when the parent has control of their temper, when the kid is young enough that they need to have concepts demonstrated to them, and when it’s followed up by a discussion about why their behavior was wrong and shouldn’t be repeated. What I don’t believe in is going all David Banner on a legal adult.

And on preview, what Pochacco said.

I seem to remember a similiar event from my childhood.

Sister: Bicker bicker bicker.
Mom: Bicker bicker bicker.
Sister: Bitch.
Mom: SLAP!

That certainly hasn’t been my experience. In my experience women are more likely to shout, cry, and show strong emotions during an arguement. For the most part I haven’t observed men getting physically violent when they get emotional. I might be atypical but when I get into heated arguements I keep my voice level and I tend to stop showing any emotion. I think it’s something I picked up from my father because he did the same thing. The best part is that it drives the person who’s argueing with you nuts and you always come out looking better if you remain calm.

Women might be less likely to get physical but that’s not quite the same thing and backing off before the point of no return. Some of the worse behavior and bullying I saw in high school were among my sister and her friends. Not only could they make the lives of other girls just miserable but they’re behavior towards one another often made me wonder why they were friends. What I’m getting at is that there are plenty of women out there who know how to push your buttons to cause as much harm as possible.

If I called my mother a bitch I would have expected her to slap me across my face just as she did with my sister. I guess it just depends on your household. I can’t recall any instance where I seriously considered physically confronting either one of my parents. The last time I even hit my sister I was 15 or so and I stopped because I was afraid I was getting to the point where I could seriously cause her harm.

Are you kidding? I remember getting in trouble because my mother would tell me I couldn’t do something and I’d go on to pick a fight. What can’t I go over to Chris’? Are we doing someting later? Can you at least give me a reasonable explanation for why I can’t go over? My mother had just as much ability as my father to deny me what I wanted and I butted heads with both of them at times. Actually I butted heads more with mom then I did with dad.

Every adolescent needs to conflict with their parents. It’s a necessary part of growing up and figuring out who you are. It doesn’t have to get as ugly as physical confrontations but some conflict isnt’ a bad thing.

Yeah, calling your mom a bitch is pretty deplorable.

Marc

I think the deal is more female to female than it is Mother to Son or what have you.

Kind of like how it’s “OK” for one black man to call another black man the N-word.

And yes I realize that when two black gentlemen are calling eachother that, they’re not usually fighting but still, it parallels.
Not to highjack or anything but I found this intresting:

It’s funny I can’t tell you how many fights I’ve seen when I used to work at a bar or when I’ve been out drinking; when guys DO get to that breaking point and they do duke it out ten minutes later they’re back in the bar acting like they are the best of friends. Almost as if the “fight” itself was a bonding experience. (I’m ashamed to admit I’ve been that guy myself) In that respect I’d have to say that guys are almost always better at putting “tiffs” or “issues” behind them than women are.

I also think guys are better at not let the agruements esculate to that level in the first place because we know where it’s likely to lead. (i.e. a sock to the nose)

I think of it as a necessary evil. A good parent doesn’t want to spank a child, nor do they do it to gain pleasure in reasserting their dominance. They do it because the child has lost control, and it needs to be made clear that a loss of control on that level will not be tolerated.

I think this is a bit backwards. If you’re advocating beating poorly-trained dogs with a stick (or if you’re making a comparison between dogs and children), then which of the two is more likely to get the meaning of the punishment? I wasn’t attempting to suggest that reasoning with a child and reasoning with a dog were the same thing. I don’t think it’s in the same ballpark.

And by that time it is probably too late. The thought process is that they can get away with it sometimes, depending on mom or dad’s mood. A lack of respect for any adult (especially parents) is a serious matter that must be addressed.

Of course, you can’t stop a child from thinking her mother’s a bitch, but I bet she keeps it to herself next time. You can still think your mother is a bitch but show her the respect that she deserves. I did.

Apparently, one thing guys aren’t good at (at least this one) is posting at 3:40 in the a.m…

Pretend I previewed my last post please… :smack:

Oh, I also wanted to chime in to say that the Dad is a total freak and should be locked away somewhere.

Daily. I was a teenager. It is a fact that once you become a teenager and know everything that your parents are not to be trusted. I’m not suggesting that a child should not express opinions or emotions contrary to what a parent is suggesting/demanding of them (or that they should suppress the natural hatred of lines like “Because I said so!”), but to completely lose respect for your mother to the point that you refer to her to her face as a bitch is completely incorrect.

As an example:

Mom: “I said no, you’re not going to the Van Halen concert.”
Euth: “Can you give me one good reason why I can’t go?”
Mom: “A good one, no. I just decided that you’re not going.”
Euth: “That’s messed up!”
Mom: “Yeah, I guess the world’s gone to camp-town hell.”
Euth: “Mom, seriously, this is crap.”
Mom: “Be careful.”

And there it is, the two words that signified that I had reached the limits of my boundaries. Do you see the difference?

The difference between what? You were expressing frustration, and your mom told you you weren’t even allowed to vent.

When did she do that? She wasn’t railing against my right to vent, she was addressing my tone. Perhaps we’ll just have to agree that you and I grew up in two different worlds and that is why we view this subject differently. I was not stifled, strangulated in expression, or refused a voice. I was beginning to raise my voice in a disrespecting manner and indicating to her that I thought her decision was ‘crap’, and thus worthless. She called me on it.

I’d like to take this moment to point out that my mother and I have a fantastic relationship, envied by many who have been around us together. I’d like to think that her instilling those traits in me are a big part of that reason.

A slap from the face from the mother would have been reasonable; this guy’s way out of line.

I’ll bet you $20 that father/daughter relationship has taken a permanent turn for the worse. She’s going to resent that for years, and for the short-term, she’s going to act out in any way she can that won’t get her beat.

All right. Sorry if I offended you. Yes, I think we did grow up in two different worlds. My family was so dysfunctional, it’s impossible to say if it was Han who shot first, or Greedo, or the flippin’ cantina bartender. For your sake, I’m glad yours isn’t/wasn’t like that.

No Disguise, I also wonder how it affects her choice of partners.