are weiner dogs the most aerodynamic of all the dogs?

not that im going to fire one out of a pnumatic cannon that i have in my garage or anything, just wondering, that’s all.

To be very honest I am not aware of any wind tunnel tests that have been performed on dashunds.

WAG is that dogs “built” for speed, like greyhounds, would be more aerodynamic than a dog built for badger hunting.

Mine is not aerodynamic at all. We suspect she’s part registered snack hound. I’m taking her out for some exercise right now.

Have you been reading Gary Larson? :smiley:

I was hoping it would be the air-dale. Or pehaps Under-Dog. At least he could fly!

:slight_smile:

I am suddenly really tempted to pick up my neighbor’s weiner dog and toss him like a football. You know, with a nice spin to him.

In the interest of science, of course.

My mom just got a weiner dog for Mother’s Day. She’s about 8 weeks. I’ll report back after some ummm… tests.

[sub]Now, where did I put those giant rubber bands?[/sub]

Wait wait, do you mean weiner dogs as in the Oscar Meyer type, or the sausage-shaped canine type?

:smiley:

The real question is: Which dog has the greatest escape velocity? My money is on the French Poodle.

Lol, just for a ton of fun I have to answer this! My puppy (8 months old) is exactly 1/2 beagle and 1/2 dachshund. She kicks ass! :wink: She has the ears of the beagle, the color of the beagle, the nose of the beagle…and the freakin’ agility of the Mountain Lion! :wink: I swear that this dog can jump higher than any dog that I’ve ever had! She’s a great camping companion but somehow the beagle part of her takes effect every once in a while and she’s gone for a bit. As for the most aerodynamic? She’s only half weiner…but she’s hell on wheels!..(if she had some).
I don’t call her a beagle or a dachsund…she’s a deagle. If she weren’t fixed I’d sell her offspring for a billion dollars a pup! :wink:
Aerodynamic, no clue…fast and jumpy as crap…yes!
-K

Well, obviously, they may have the best mass to cross sectional area ratio. But do they cause turbulence? And their legs may be short, but do they fold up well for supersonic velocity? Same with the head, how well does it lower for a more bullet-like shape? Would the “drag” from the ears in front render them aerodynamically unstable, or would the tail in back compensate? Clearly, more research is needed.

Yep. Greyhounds, whippets, and so forth.

I’ve rescued Greyhounds for more than 10 years now (anyone want one?) and can tell you no dog is better designed for getting through air resistance than those sighthounds.

A guy I work with was at one of the Sydney parks that sits on top of a cliff at the ocean. He (and lots of others) saw a Red Setter chasing seagulls run straight over the edge of the cliff and plummet to it’s death. Does that count?

Notice it did not fly so much as plummet. I’d not call that aerodynamic.

I’m not convinced. Greyhounds are fast because of their strong muscles, not their aerodynamic figure.

To answer the OP, first we should establish whether we are comparing Cd (coefficient of drag, i.e. air resistance for a given size object), or air resistance (Cd * frontal area). If the former, I think the Dachshund is the most aerodynamic, mostly because of their short legs. Round rods aren’t very aerodynamic, especially when you have several of them close together.

If we are comparing absolute air resistance and not Cd, the smaller the better. A Chihuahua would be the most aerodynamic. Preferably shaved.

Aerodynamic does not mean “able to fly”. In fact if you chop off the wings of an airplane it becomes much more aerodynamic (less air resistance).

We have two dogs, a basenji and a dachshund. When they want out the back door, they usually get all excited because of the dogs next door, so by the time I get the door open, they’ve got a good head of steam - they run across the deck and jump down the step, instead of walking.

The basenii, because of her longer legs, usuallly goes first. She looks like an elegant little deer in flight, legs neatly tucked up.

The dachsie looks rather like an out of control blimp. I sometimes think that the only thing that keeps him from spinning in flight is that his ears fly out and act as stabilizers. He doesn’t tuck his legs up (not that there’s much way to notice) but keeps them out, like fixed landing gear.

Does she have a tail that sort of curls into a loop? My aunt and uncle had the exact same mix. Misty was the most adorable little dog you’d ever run across.

(I suspect she was also part goat-she once ate a pair of saw blades my uncle had lying out while he was working on something.)

I just gotta say :
“Aerodynamic dogs”… …=BAND NAME!!!

this thread has the best opening title since “ventriloquist dummy nipple question”

Buttered, shaved, or fully-furred? In water, on land, or by catapult? With ears hanging loose, or tied back?

The details matter.

I think this is more of an illustration of the cranial capacity of Red Setters than their aerodynamic qualities.