Wikipedians, Japanophiles, lend me your ears

I’ve requested and received permission to pimp this project over on this thread:

I’ve created a sort of Japan Wikipedia, an attempt to document Japan through the eyes of the expats who live there, to benefit the same group of people.

I’m casting my net here on SDMB because I believe there are some highly knowledgeable posters here who could post valuable information. Among expats in Japan, there’s much information that is passed by word of mouth, repeated until it is distorted, and the useful content is lost. This project is an attempt to capture that information in one location, so that the integrity of the information can be reviewed and refined.

Why do we need a Wiki just for Japan? Why isn’t Wikipedia good enough? Well, I don’t seek to compete with Wikipedia, and I hope participants in this project will also be compelled to post in Wikipedia as well. This project is intended to capture things that might not fit in Wikipedia… time-sensitive information, subjective experiences, things too finely grained, esoteric, or personal to bother cluttering Wikipedia with. Some might say that there’s no such thing, but I felt there might be an audience for it.

Also, it’s tied into a message board intended to serve the same community. You might notice that it looks a lot like SDMB. It uses the same software, and I hope a Japan-oriented community will grow with the same sort of values and norms found here at SDMB. It is imitation in the form of flattery.

Anyway, without further ado, here’s the address of the Wiki:
www.takipedia.org

And here’s the address of the board:
www.takiboards.com

The Wiki is really the important thing to me… if people participate on the board, then that’s great, but I hope I’ll get some contributors to the wiki.

Thanks for your time.

Please indulge a final bump, as the original post was made over memorial day weekend. Thanks.

This is a great idea for someone like my daughter. It’s her dream to live in Japan and she studies the language and culture constantly.
I don’t know how much she could contribute, but she’ll be sent the link just in case.