No Vitamin C in lemon juice?

I have a bottle of 100% lemon juice that says on the nutrition panel “Not a significant source of…Vitamin C…” WTF?

I’d like to see that label. What’s the brand? Can you take a picture of it?

Calm down.

What’s the serving size?

One teaspoon probably isn’t very significant, but if you chugged the whole bottle…

If it’s bottled lemon juice intended for use in cooking, it may be that it’s been pasteurised or something that would reduce the vitamin content.

My guess is along the lines of what Eleusis said; that is, since it’s intended for cooking, the quantity you use isn’t a significant source of anything except that wonderful tarness.

:smack: Of course, if you want tarness in your cooking, that’s probably a sign of some sort of vitamin deificiency. If you want tartness, otoh, that’s a good use of lemon juice.

Considering the serving size is about 1 teaspoon, from all the info I could find online, a fresh lemon contains about 4-5% Vitamin C in one serving, and bottled lemon juice contains about 2% Vitamin C in a single serving.

Patty, they all say that. I’ve got a bottle of Kroger brand lemon juice, and that’s what it says.

Thin Lizzy, the deal is that the FDA, in their labeling requirements, goes by “serving size”. One teaspoon of lemon juice does contain Vitamin C–but the amount of Vitamin C in a single teaspoon of lemon juice is so low that it’s officially considered to be “not nutritionally significant”, by which the Feds mean it doesn’t come anywhere near satisfying a person’s minimum daily requirement for Vitamin C. In other words, there’s just a smidgen of Vitamin C in each serving of one teaspoon, so the Feds require the manufacturer to spell it out explicitly that their product will not fulfill your daily need for Vitamin C.

Uh… does this imply that I should seriously be eating twenty to twentyfive lemons a day?!

Wow. I may have scurvy. I never eat that much lemon at one sitting. :eek:

Only if lemons are your only source of vitamin C. I mean, if you don’t consume any other citrus fruits, peppers, tomatoes and the like, I guess you’ll be needing some new lemon recipes, huh?

Or you can eat one bell pepper, which, depending on varietal, average at around 150% USRDA Vitamin C per serving (one pepper).

About 2.5 mg vitamin C per teaspoon. Assuming 500 mg of vitamin C per liter, and 1 liter ~ 202 teaspoons.

Maybe a better question is why the makers of lemon juice felt it necessary to state that you shouldn’t expect to get much C from a serving of lemon juice. Does the label say the same thing about vitamin A?

I wonder why they didn’t say that a serving size is a quarter of a cup (let’s make lemon chiffon pie!) that way they could say that you’ll get half your RDA of vitamin C from their product. Doesn’t seem any sneakier than coke tellimg me that a bottle of soda contains two servings so that they can cut all the fat and sugar numbers in half on their nutrition labels.

Here are the relevant FDA labelling guidelines:

Presumably they were listing more than just Vitamin C, otherwise the alternate form would be longer than the normal form.

What you’re missing is that the makers–and the FDA–felt it necessary to state that you shouldn’t expect to get much C from a serving of this particular product. You are overlooking the fact that bottled lemon juice is “reconstituted”, which means that it’s made up of lemon juice that has been cooked down to a concentrate (my bottle of Kroger lemon juice uses concentrate from Argentina and Mexico), and then had water added. Heat destroys Vitamin C, so the heat of cooking and pasteurization will destroy a lot of the Vitamin C in lemon juice. Thus, a teaspoon of RealLemon Reconstituted Lemon Juice is not the same thing, nutritionally, as a teaspoon of lemon juice from a freshly-squeezed lemon, and thus the Feds felt it necessary to inform consumers of this.

It contains 2% per teaspoon. There are 189 servings in my bottle. It does seem like it would be more but a teaspoon is not much.

Makes sense…

You do realize the question was asked and answered 9 years ago.

Similarly, a can of cooking spray can be labeled as “zero Calories”, even though it’s essentially pure fat.

You do realize zombies don’t actually need vitamins, don’t you?