Rebirth is now free!

…though it requires a sort of silly workaround involving burning an .ISO to a disc to use and stuff.

Like many people who went on to make electronic music, I got my start with Rebirth back in ‘97. Back then, if you wanted to make electronic music, your choices were either drop $2K+ on some synthesizer gear or $200 on Rebirth. It was really the first “all in one” music making software, giving you two synths, two drum machines, and effects. I made many primitive tracks using Rebirth, and really mastered it. Even though I went on to buy thousands of dollars worth of equipment and software in subsequent years, I still go back to rebirth when I need a jolt of inspiration - the 303s’ quirky sequencers always lead to those happy programming accidents, giving you something that’s way cooler and more funky than whatever you set out to do. In fact, one of my favorite basslines I’ve written came about when I was trying to program the bassline from the Violent Femmes’ Blister in the Sun into rebirth’s tb-303 and I screwed it up.

Get it while it’s free, or enjoy a trip down memory lane.

oops - the URL is www.rebirthmuseum.com

And here I was thinking the Church of Scientology was announcing a new doctrine.