AdBlock and the new Google ads

I recommend that everyone who’s using one of the Mozilla browsers - you oughta be using Firefox anyway - download the AdBlock extension, which makes it easy to block the Google ads, along with all sorts of other obnoxious advertisements on other websites.

If you add the URL http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/* to your Adblock list, it’ll take care of all the ads, and you won’t have to set multiple filters.

Or just install Filterset.G and it blocks almost all Internet ads.

Another idea - the admins mentioned that too many clicks will cause Google to withdraw sponsorship. I’ve seen this happen before - it was due to a game that spontaneously developed in which we were trying to see how weird we could make the Google ads by typing nonsense. The site got enough clicks that Google refused to pay and canceled their ads. So enough clicking could cause Google to rethink their partnership with the SDMB.

I would much rather see the SDMB make the right (IMO) choice, than have it thrust upon them (and then they find some banner ad host that wants to put one between every fifth post).

Holy crap, Firefox is cool. I’d been living with Opera.

What’s the problem with a few square inches of text? I can see people getting upset if there were animations and neon colors, but the Google ads are just short of invisible. Sheesh, nothing to get panties in a wad over…

Excalibre, Ed Zotti specifically asked for posters to not do this. You’re upset and getting huffy, fine, I understand that; however, you will not encourage posters to threaten the SDMB’s partnership with Google Ads. You do this again and you may end up suspended.

This thread is closed.