Dominican Republic questions

I’m traveling to the Dominican Republic in December. Although I normally like to get out and explore any new place I visit, for a variety of reasons, my ability to do so this time will be limited. I’ll be staying at an all-inclusive resort in Punta Cana.

I know we have some DR experts here, and I have a few questions.

1. Will my (Sprint) cell phone work? I’m hearing conflicting information. If not, what’s the most economical way to phone the US?

2. My passport has expired. As I’m traveling before 12/31, DR admittance/US reentry is still technically allowed with other proof of US citizenship. Would a passport still be advantageous for other reasons?

3. I realize that the east coast is not where most of the important/interesting historical sites are located. Is there anything worth seeing (old Spanish forts, cathedrals) within easy range of Punta Cana? If so, what’s the best way to get there?

4. Where’s the best snorkelling and hiking in the area? (I realize this question is more IMHO, but as the other 3 are factual, I’m putting this in GQ. If that’s an error, I apologize.) I’m only an adequate swimmer, but am an experienced hiker (despite being a FIB), so mountains are fine. Biking (road, not dirt/mountain) might be fun, too.

5. One more that I almost forgot. My Spanish is minimal, and that of my GF isn’t much better. (I speak some French, so I can sometimes make out the gist of simple written Spanish, but spoken is mostly beyond me. Does that mean I should avoid venturing off on my own without a driver or guide? (I am learning some basics, so I won’t be completely lost.)

bump

I’m a DR resident and will do my best to answer what I can.

Not sure, check with Sprint, and if not, you can buy local DR phone cards.

As well as for entering and leaving the country, you ought to have some ID on you, ideally a photocopy of the original, but it’s not likely you will be asked to produce it.

Easy range of Punta Cana you have the town of Higuey which is a centre of pilgrimage for Dominicans. The Basilica, built in the 1970s, is a bit of a concrete monstrosity though. To the south you have fishing village of Boca de Yuma, and the idyllic Islas Saona and Catalina. To the north you have Parque Los Haitises which is a nature reserve, also some non touristy beaches like Miches. There is also the strange spectacle of Altos de Chavon, a fake Italian medieval village with a Roman style amphitheatre near the town of La Romana. There are also some interesting caves on that side of the island with indigenous petroglyphs. The resort will have excursions to some, if not all of these. As you say, the colonial ruins and monuments tend to be concentrated in Santo Domingo and other parts of the country. If you really want to see this sort of site, try and make it to Santo Domingo, and tour the colonial zone. Again, it is possible that the hotel will have such an excursion on offer.

The hotels will be the best source for that information. I know that people snorkel and scuba dive in that area so you should be fine on that count. Mountain biking - not sure.

Dominicans are generally friendly and patient with people who don’t speak much Spanish. the only thing I would caution against is driving after dark.

Sorry this is a little sketchy, and hope it helps anyway.

Thanks – This was helpful.

Don’t take this the wrong way…I’ve moved this to IMHO. I think you’ll get more responses there. I mistakenly moved it first to MPSIMS, so you may even get the benefit of their opinions.

samclem GQ moderator