Waaaagh! How to get wax out of flannel?

Ok. So I have this nice, new flannel blanket. I had it laid out on the couch and I had a candle burning on the end table the other day, inside a ceramic holder. I noticed at one point the candle had gone out, so I picked it up. What I didn’t know was that the wax had all liquefied inside the holder, which would have not been a problem, except that when I picked it up, it sloshed out of a hole in the side of the holder and all over the blanket, which of course I just happened to be holding it over. I tried to pick it out but the wax has left a big hard crusty spot on my nice new blanket. Is there a way to get wax out of flannel, or is it ruined?

If it’s not a large section of blanket, I’d try soaking the section in a pan of steaming hot water.

I spilled wax on my carpet once…my significant other took a sheet of paper, laid it on top of it and then used an iron on top of the paper. The paper soaked up the wax. Worked well.

Removing wax is a two step process. The first thing to do is freeze the wax with ice. When it becomes hard and brittle, you can use a dull knife to scrape off most of the wax. Next warm up your iron to a medium high setting. Start with a couple layers of newspaper and iron over the wax, replace the paper as soon as wax starts to absorb into the paper. When you get down to just a few spots of wax in the paper, switch to paper towels. Lay a 3 or 4 layers, press firmly for 5 seconds or so then move to a clean spot with the towels. Keep this up till you get know more wax in the paper towels. This should remove 99% of the wax. Then you should pretreat the wax spot and wash per manufacturers recommendations. Depending on the dyes used in the candle, you may never remove spot completely.

writes everything down

Lucky for me it was a white candle. The spot is pretty much transparent.

Thanks so much for the tips!

I always found a brown paper grocery bag worked best…trust me on this, I used to cocktail in a goth club, having to get wax out of fabrics such as velvet and lace was a frequent problem. :wink:

Commercial dry cleaners used to use stoddard solvent which is a deodorized kerosene or a close cousin.
It will remove the wax and any wax coloring.
Hot removal with irons and brown paper may or may not remove colored wax residue.
Consult a dry cleaner! Don’t try a DIY project with flammable solvents.

I’ve done it, and it works, but if you have an old iron, use it. I accidentily got some wax onto the iron through the newspaper, then went to iron a nice white shirt a week later…and trashed it.