Flushed Away -- Great Movie!

I didn’t see a thread on this movie before (aside from this one talking about the production of the movie before it was released). I saw the movie this afternoon, and it was great! Ten times better than “Happy Feet,” and with more humor, action, and adventure than any movie I’ve seen in the theater for quite a while. To be honest, I liked it even better than the same studio’s “Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Wererabbit,” and far better than “Chicken Run.” I also thought it was better than “Cars” – Aardman out-Pixared Pixar with this one. I’m putting my money on it for Best Animated Feature when awards time rolls around. If you haven’t seen it yet, go now before it disappears from the theaters!

I saw it. I didn’t like it as much as Aardman’s work with Wallace and Gromit, but it had its own charm. I liked the references to some of their previous works in the opening scenes with Roddy alone in his house.

Among the toys in the girl’s room are stuffed animals of Gromit, the Curse rabbits, and Alex from Madagascar (a DreamWorks film- this film was co-produced by DreamWorks and Aardman). Chicken Run can be seen among the DVDs, and Roddy’s wardrobe includes a green sweater similar to Wallace’s and a Wolverine costume (a reference to one of Hugh Jackman’s most famous roles.) Later on in the film, a magnet of Wallace wearing the Wrong Trousers can be seen on The Toad’s fridge.

Yeah, there were tons of references like that in this movie; I suspect this movie will benefit from repeat viewings.

I’m really kind of mystified that this movie didn’t do better at the American box office. IMHO it was far better than the more leaden, preachy “Happy Feet,” but “Happy Feet” is still number one at the box office, for something like the second week. They have identical ratings on RottenTomatoes (79% fresh), and near identical ratings on IMDB (6.9 for Happy Feet, 7.0 for Flushed Away), but “Flushed Away” seems to have flopped. I wonder why?

I thought this was a really fun movie and my kids and I laughed ourselves sick! We saw Happy Feet last night, and I agree that it wasn’t as good as Flushed Away! Oh, it was OK, but even my kids liked Roddy better than Mumble!

I just saw this movie today; I went in with nagging reservations (chiefly that Dreamworks would have impinged too much on the Aardman style, and that CGI, as opposed to claymation, would have marred it) - But I loved every minute of it, and laughed out loud in lots of places.

There were many of what I consider ‘perfect comic moments’ in the film, and the slugs were just outstanding.

Nitpick: clay animation. Claymation® (with a capital “C”) is a registered trademark of Laika Entertainment.

Happy Feet was better, IMHO. But I loved the singing slugs in Flushed.

Thanks, but like Hoover and Styrofoam, I think this one has become a generic term.

Did you guys catch the frozen Han Solo mouse in the freezer? It seemed like a very easy joke but I was still very excited when they had it.

I’ve taken Kizarvexilla (who just turned 8) to see Flushed Away twice now. And both times we laughed hard enough to cause internal injuries. The first time out, I really wasn’t expecting much. I only knew that I love most of Aardman’s productions and I’d gladly pay to listen to Kate Winslet read the phone book. But DAMN, that was funny. My only issue with it (not that this is the filmmakers’ fault, mind you) was the fact that Kizarvexilla kept nudging me and demanding that I explain the 17,284,529 jokes that flew over her head. Sorry, child, you’ll just have to find out for yourself who Tom Jones is.

Resurrecting this thread because I watched Flushed Away on DVD last night for the third time (which makes it my fifth viewing) and I’m still laughing my ass off. I just may have to watch it again tonight with the remote in hand, hitting pause every fifth frame to catch all the subtle in-jokes.

That this movie did not fare well at the U.S. box office is either a shameful statement about the American moviegoing public or a firm reminder that I don’t come anywhere close to the standard profile of that particular demographic. Or, indeed, both.

"I find everyone’s pain funny except my own – I’m French!" - Le Frog

Just chiming in to say that I saw this with my six year old, who loved it. He also liked Happy Feet, and I’m not sure which, if either, he preferred, but personally I thought Flushed Away was more fun and less preachy.

I’m so glad you like it! Re-reading my OP, I was a bit surprised how enthusiastic I was for it, but reading your post confirms my initial high opinion. I might just have to pick this one up on DVD.

I’ve just now realized that “Flushed Away” was not nominated for Best Animated Picture. This movie was ROBBED – it at least deserves a nomination. I’ve seen all the nominees in that category, and “Flushed Away” is, IMHO, far better than the eye-rollingly preachy “Happy Feet,” and better than the fun-but-ultimately-nothing-special “Monster House.” I’d have to see “Cars” again before I give a decision on that one, but I remember thinking it was a lesser Pixar effort, and was coasting on the high reputation of its predecessors.

Robbed, I tell ya, robbed!!!

You’ve got that right. Dreamworks dumped Aardman, probably because this movie flopped. I am Pixar’s bitch, but I liked this movie better than Cars too. My husband and I saw it twice in the theater and it held up very well the 2nd time. I have to get the DVD. My favorite part was the mime with the video cell phone. If I tried to describe it for people who haven’t seen it I wouldn’t do it justice at all. It’s just something that has to be seen. Classic.

hijack, but also in the ‘family movies that people bitch about that they don’t make anymore but they do but the people who bitch don’t go to see them’ department, Duma. Just…Duma! Another great movie that died at the box office because the people who bitch that they don’t make movies like that anymore didn’t go to see it because they were too busy bitching that they don’t make movies like that anymore. See also: The Great Raid, not a family movie but one of those old fashioned ripping good story movies, The Good German, and maybe, The Astronaut Farmer (it’s too early to tell if that’s going to flop).

Well, let me guess why it didn’t do so well.

The commercials made it look like a kid’s movie about talking poop.

I didn’t even know it was Aardman, which would have caught my attention.

Reading this thread, I want to see it now. But the commercials made me want to run away screaming from the fascination with bathroom humor that is a major theme in most kid film these days.

Those are obviously slugs. Although there was a poop joke in the ads.

I didn’t know exactly what they were. I didn’t connect slugs and toilets.

I just think the title and the commercials chased people away. It did me, and now that I know more, I want to see it.

Oh man, I just watched a trailer on YouTube and it said “From the creators of Shrek and Madagascar” and not a word about Wallace and Gromit!! I never saw a trailer, I knew it was Aardman from the first day I heard about it, but if I hadn’t known, yeah, I can see how it would look like a terrible movie, and how the slugs could look like turds. Christ! I take that back what I said. Now I understand why more people didn’t go see it. One of the other trailers made it look like an animated version of “Ow! My Balls!” from Idiocracy!

I’ve rarely seen such horrible trailers for such a good movie, in my life! Heads should’ve rolled.

I didn’t see any poop jokes though.

The slugs are just great, but you have to see them in the context of the movie and by the end you want some slug pets of your own. They just look stupid and annoying (and yeah, like poop) in the trailers. (Btw, the credits at the end give you even more wonderful slugs)

Damn!

Okay, you may have just convinced me to buy this on DVD. I had completely forgotten about this scene, but I’m laughing now just thinking about it.

“Shrek” and “Madagascar”? Cripes – it might have had some of the same “creators,” but this is of a completely different lineage. (Not to mention that “Madagascar” sucked at worst, was only mildly entertaining at best.) They really should have emphasized the W&G connections. Yeah, I can see why people would stay away if they thought it was a doo-doo humored cousin to “Madagascar.”

But it’s NOT – it’s funny and clever and adventurous. I encourage Dopers to check it out.

I believe Flushed Away was a Dreamworks/Aardman co-production, which is why both companies are billed on the logo and the advertising states “From the creators of Shrek and Madagascar.” It would have been wordier advertising, but it would have made more sense to emphasize both studios’ achievements/work- that way, you pull in fans of both. Perhaps “Two Oscar-winnings studios join forces to bring you one wild adventure!” and then have on the screen while saying this “Dreamworks, producers of Shrek & Aardman, producers of Wallace & Gromit.” I think that would have worked.

The poop joke that appears in some of the advertising has Roddy traveling through the sewers, reluctantly holding on to what appears to be a floating turd…which then shifts over to reveal that it’s a candy bar.