Easiest way to remove flesh from bone?

I’m interested in collecting skulls, skeletons, etc. from various species. What would be the easiest and quickest way to remove flesh from carcasses that I come across?

In terms of food preparation, slow, wet cooking for 4 or 5 hours will dissolve all the connective tissue, and the meat will easily slip off the bones. In terms of “carcasses that you come across,” boiling or braising a rotting carcass for 5 hours doesn’t sound like something you’d want to do indoors.

Dermestid Beetles.

Fire ant nest.

There’s a section on Bone Cleaning on this website about making knucklebones.

Had an interesting weekend, eh?

:wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll second the dermestid beetle suggestion, as developing and maintaining a colony of them is relatively easy, and much less messy than peroxide or bleach options. (Don’t use bleach, as it will overarticulate the skulls and make the materials more brittle. I don’t know if peroxide does this, but I’d be wary about it as well.)

In 2002, the California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco had an exhibit of animal skulls, many of which came from the home collection of Raymond Bandar, a San Francisco resident who has been collecting animal skeletons for decades, and has more than 6,000 in his house. Presumably, he can be regarded as some sort of expert in this, and his technique is simply to bury the specimen for a few months.

In one of Patricia Cornwall’s books she describes boiling the mess overnight in a 20% bleach solution.

Does anybody else find themselves worried about mister W showing up at a Dopefest?

Say, one in a remote, poorly-lit & unfrequented spot?

ah, u’re on to me… well, my collection will be complete soon enough… now, hypothetically speaking, what would you say would be the best way for luring a large primate into a basement/dermestid beetle colony …?

Free Candy always works.

pron.

Candy is dandy
But liquor is quicker
Thank you, Odgen Nash!

I’ve heard of museums using machines called degreasers to get clean bones.

From the American Museum of Natural History:

I don’t know if that’s in your budget, though. :slight_smile:

And, WhyNot, that’s one of my favorite poems!

To put it mildly. :eek:

Cool link - thanks. Are those the beetles used in the movie (and maybe the book, I can’t recall) Gorky Park?

Most likely.

My daughter does some cleaning of sea lion skulls and it’s done with a colony of dermestid beetles at the Smithsonian.