How do I set which program opens my pictures in XP?

Every time I click on a jpeg, Photoshop opens the pic. I know there is a way to change which program opens pictures, but I forgot and Windows built in Help isn’t helping me.

Right click on the file. You’ll see “Open With”, and a submenu for “Choose Program…”

After you’ve chosen your program, there’s a check box that will give you the option to “Always use the selected program to open this type of file”.

But in case you change your mind in the future and do want to open the file with Photoshop, you can always go back to the “Open With” menu and Photoshop will be an option in the list of compatible programs for that type of file.

Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306551

There is a checkbox to “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file.”

I think that’s what you are looking for.

I leave the file associations with the apps I want to use most of the time and use Open With for the the times I want to make an exception.

How to Associate a Program with a File Type

**To specify the program that opens files with certain file name extensions: **

1. Click Start, click My Computer, and then locate and open the folder that contains the file type that you want to use.
  2. Right-click the file that you want, and then click Properties.

File Types That Are Recognized by Windows

If the file type is recognized by Windows, the type of file and the program that is used to open the file appears next to Type of file and Opens with on the General tab.

To change the program that is used to open this type of file:

1. On the General tab, click Change. The Opens With dialog box appears. Use one of the following methods to select the program that you want to use to open this type of file:

• In the Programs list, click the program that you want.
• Click Browse, locate and click the program that you want to use, and then click OK.
• Click Look for the appropriate program on the Web to browse for the program that you want on the Internet.

1. Click to select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box if it is not already selected.

2. Click OK, and then click OK.

I have a similar problem, but the file in question isn’t one that I have in a folder that I can set properties on.

I’ve had trouble in the last few weeks getting updates for my computer. I recently installed Paint Shop Pro, and ever since then, I haven’t been able to do the updates. I get the prompt that there is an update available, and then I hit OK to download the update. This automatically opens up Paint Shop Pro, and then I get a message saying that it can’t open the .msp file (that presumably contains the updates.)

So, apparently Paint Shop thinks that everything with the .msp extension belongs to it, but it it not the appropriate application for this. Any suggestions?

thanks, guys !

Here’s something you can try, but apparently you need to be an admin to do it. In XP, start Windows Explorer, click on tools/folder options, then click on the “file types” tab. Find the extension, and then you can change the association.