Sunday Dinner, April 6th 2008

At the Algher household (slight depression because I should have picked up El Cid at Blockbuster)

Chicken Thighs: (skineless and browned in olive oil and then baked to done) in a mustard sauce (dijon, half & half , stock and shallots)
Potatoes: Yukon Golds quartered, boiled, fried in olive oil ( re-used for chicken above), then roased until done.
Green beans: Steamed.
Crescent rolls: From the tube to the oven.
Fresh Pineapple: Flambeed in rum/goldschlagger/buttershots, with butter and brown sugar - placed on top of vanilla ice cream.

Watcha havin (or did you have)?

Tonight, Foil Dinners.

1/2 lb of lean ground sirloin wrapped in foil with sliced potato, red onion, bell pepper and carrots with some herbs and spices.

Tossed in the oven for an hour and served

Some kind of chicken with fresh garlic dish Lady Soul is whipping up. It smells ridiculously good, and my stomach roars in anticipation.

Grilled chicken with steamed veggies over fettuccine alfredo.

Tomorrow is souvlaki night!

Grilled aubergine and courgette. Homemade tomato sauce with lots of assorted spices and balsamico. Laid out with mozzarella and parmegano and sent into the oven.

OK - what the heck is aubergine and courgette?

(Yeah, I could Google - but I am interested in the food, recipe, etc.)

It sounds so less interesting when you translate. Zucchini and eggplant.

It sounds so less interesting when you translate. Zucchini and eggplant. Actually, vice versa.

Last night (Sunday night for me):

Grilled chicken with some paprika & lemon sauce, a baked potato and a salad of cucumber, capsicum and mushrooms.

Peanut butter sandwich
Baked Lays

:slight_smile:

Chunks of monkfish baked in white wine on a bed of sliced shitake mushrooms, with a sauce made of reduced baking liquid, shallots sauteed in butter, and a squeeze of lemon

Potato-fennel gratin

Steamed asparagus

There might be strawberries later, but right now I think we’re both stuffed. But I do have a TERRIBLE sweet tooth.

Don’t make me start a separate thread; what can I do now with the fennel fronds? There are a lot of them (from 2 decent-sized fennel bulbs), and the only thing I can think of at the moment is to throw them into soup, but I really don’t feel like making soup.

You could toss them into a ziplock in the freezer for the next time you make a chicken stock (I am the court jester of saving random scraps to turn into stock).

You are assuming that I have space in the freezer. :slight_smile:

Now, I never use scraps for my stock- I go fresh, every time. If it isn’t good enough to eat/drink, then it isn’t good enough to cook with! :wink:

Tonight I went into “comfort food” mode- beef stew with veggies and crusty bread! Ahhhhh!

My wife and I had:

1 Wendy’s Jr. Bacon Cheese Burger ($1)
1 Wendy’s Crispy Chicken Sandwich (1) Salad (.50)
Chinese Chili Potatoes($1)

Yes, we’re on a budget. :slight_smile:

We had:

• Chinese spare ribs (ribs chopped up and marinated in garlic, soy, shao xing cooking wine, sesame oil, salt, sugar and 5 spice powder)
  • Choy sum in oyster sauce
  • Broccoli in a lime/soy/garlic sauce
  • White rice

Tomorrow night will probably be leftover beef stew with ciabatta bread.

One bottle of A &W’s new Float in Bottle—ick! (I wasn’t expecting true floaty goodness, but I was expecting less ickiness!)
Fresh bread and butter
a Sundae consisting of fresh strawberries, one scoop “Southern Lemon Pie” ice cream, some Cool Whip and some homemade rhubarb sauce. Tasty, but I’ve decided that the rhubarb sauce isn’t as sweet as I’d like it to be.

Tonight we are having baked salmon with homemade roasted tomatillo and pepper salsa and a salad.

Homemade vegetable soup and cornbread. I also taught my son how to make Tollhouse cookies, because he’s working on a Boy Scout cooking achievement thingy. (Not that one needs an excuse to teach a kid how to make chocolate chip cookies.) Tonight he’s making the hamburgers.

Last night we had (outdoor) grilled chicken legs and pork/venison sausage links, with BBQ sauce, as well as leftover bean soup, cole slaw and corn on the cob. Mmm. And sliced strawberries and bananas with angel food cake and whipped cream.

Tonight will be baked lemon-pepper salmon (great minds think alike, Ghanima!) with rice pilaf and broccoli with Velveeta <gasp!> cheese sauce.