Recurring itchy spot on my arm... Possible cause?

There’s a spot on my arm that sometimes develops a raised spot (much like a mosquito bite) less than the size of a dime that’s (again, much like a mosquito bite) itchy. It’s been coming and going for literally several months now - at least six.

What are some possible causes? How do I get it to stop?

Do you take any medications or ‘over-the-counter’ supplements? One possibility for what you’re describing is a so-called fixed drug reaction (of the urticarial subtype). Sometimes, as in the linked article, it’s referred to as a fixed drug eruption.

Hmm. I do take Centrum on a semi-regular basis (most days, but not all). Interesting; I’d not known about that kind of thing.

But since there’s no real way right now to know for sure, more possibilities welcome!

Does your job place you around any chemicals? I get a similar spot on the inside of my left elbow, it’s been coming and going for 13 years now. It took a while for me to realize it was related to one specific machine at work that uses a lot of mineral oil, whenever I have to do a job around that line while it’s running, the spot comes back. It’s a little bigger than a mosquito bite and not as itchy, but still, it’s another possibility. I’ve never figured out why it only appears on my left elbow though.

There’s a fungus among us…

Try an topical, anti-fungal athletes foot product, or if you have a doctor, try asking for something like clotrimazole cream…

Disclaimer:
I am not in any way a doctor nor do I play one on TV

Leaperosy?

Could it be a Flat Wart?

ITANIAWADNDIPOOTV.

Bah. Since my OP, the itchy spot got larger and more irregularly shaped. It’s not as itchy as it was last night, though. :stuck_out_tongue:

It could be fungus, I don’t know. I don’t think it’s a flat wart, since it doesn’t seem to be spreading to other parts of my body. Hrm.

My sisters and I have had itchy spot for 30 years on and off. We had lived a hundred miles away and would still have the spots at the same time and same area of the elbow. Sometimes it was above the elbow and sometimes below.
Most times it hits when I go to bed. It is an allergy of some sort.
Any lotion that burns will stop the itching for a while but it will come back.
I have had poison ivy and this is much worse! Funny thing is that it will stop itching for a day or two then come right back until it has run its cycle.
Recently I have used a soldering iron to burn the spot until it stops itching. This may sound a bit like over kill, but it works and feels so much better than scratching until I bleed. Stick the hot iron into the itchy spot until it stops itching, it is like burning off a wart or skin tag. Yes there will be a small scar, but it is worth it. Now I wonder if it will ever reappear in that spot again.
Good luck with your itchy spot!

JP

I had something on my thigh that sounded exactly like what you described. It didn’t go away for months and months. Finally asked the doctor about it and Her best guess was ringworm. She recommended otc anti-fungal cream. I think I got Lotrimin something or other. It’s taken a couple of weeks, but it’s nearly gone.

:eek:

Nah…

No doubt.

For the love of God, please don’t.

No it isn’t.

It is not worth it.

I wonder about a lot of things.

… 3 years ago.

Moved from General Questions to the [del]itchy forum[/del] IMHO.

samclem Moderator

If you go to the doctor about it, they’ll almost certainly tell you it’s eczema. I have a very similar thing. It’s on my elbow, and it itches intermittently. It used to be on my neck, then under my upper arm. It’s the most trivial of maladies, easily controlled with a steroid cream – but in the back of your mind, you worry that it’ll suddenly flare out of control, and cover your entire body. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

If I ever open a little neighborhood bar I think I’ll name it The Itchy Spot. Should look good in neon.

That is what happened to me - a raised itchy spot on the back of my neck, came and went. Eventually I went to a dermatologist. He said “Eczema. Let me get my soldering iron.” Actually, he said “cautery” but it is a pretty fine distinction.

It was a bit fancier than a soldering iron, and somewhat more sterile, I guess (no lead or tin). But it did sizzle and there was a distinctive smell of burnt hair and flesh. Did the trick though, it has never come back.

Si

Doctors say it is an allergy, not eczema.
Due to the exact location on three relatives at the same time, even though miles away from each other, I believe it is an airborne allergy.

Hot packs and hot lotions give a little relief for a while then we scratch until we bleed.
It could be hit with liquid nitrogen instead of the soldering iron, but at $100.0 per visit to the doctor, the $5.00 iron is a much better value. Also who has the time to go to the doctor’s office? If it is of any relief to you readers, my sisters do not burn their itchy spot away. It will be interesting to see if I EVER get it in those spots again.
No the scars will not be noticeable, I am attractive enough to still be vane even at 48.

you may have parasite go to you doctor

CAUTERY??? for ECZEMA??? I’ve NEVER heard of that being used. Are you sure he said Eczema???

Re the OP: I had a spot on my wrist many years back, that became irritated and would scale over, improve, then recur, for a few months. IIRC that was before hydrocortisone was over the counter, but I treated it with stuff labeled for psoriasis. Steroids (cream) would probably be used these days. It was quite localized. Doesn’t sound quite like yours but honestly, I’d try steroid ointment for a few days just to get a data point.

Fungal issues usually aren’t on “open” skin like, say, the forearm (the OP wasn’t specific); they’re more common in “folds” like maybe underarms. If the steroids don’t help (or maybe even make it worse), that would point to a possible fungal issue anyway.