Why does my dog purr?

When my dog is being petted, or is happy, he will purr/growl. Do other dogs do this? What exactly is happening? Thanks in advance.

Was he raised in a house with cats? He’s just trying to fit in with the other inhabitants of the house. He sees that the cats purr when they’re happy, so being sociable, he learned to purr when he’s happy, too.

My daughter’s Peke does this. It’s a low grrrhmmmh grunty sort of sound, but it’s rhythmic like a purr. A vet told her that it’s a soft palate thing, having to do with the deformed state of these silly, gentle dogs.

I want to kind of hijack this thread, it’s not possible for a dog to purr is it? I assume he is just making a noise LIKE purring right? Or can a dog physically purr?

It’s probably not the same, no. Purring per se is usually considered a unique feature of the felids, though the exact mechanism remains a bit uncertain. Given the uncertainty of how cats actually accomplish it, there is a remote possibility some dog has both the physical potential ( there are no known unique physical structures associated with purring ) and has figured some way to duplicate it. But I doubt it.

Much more likely a dog has perfected some low, steady “happy growl.”

Exactly. Sorry I wasn’t more specific. Does anyone know how common this is, or why this happens? He is a smaller cocker spaniel mix if that helps. He is a shelter dog, so I don’t know too much about his history.

Seeing as it’s halloween…

It’s gotta be a cat in a Dog costume. :slight_smile:

Lots of dogs will make small noises when they are content or happy. While I don’t believe that there has been a lot of peer-reviewed research on the topic, I’ve found that dogs who are talked to frequently and from a young age tend to vocalize more than those left alone with litters. We unconsciously either reward or discourage that behaviour as well. I’ve taught my dogs, for example, that barking is unacceptable most of the time, while encouraging other quieter noises. They now “murf” at me when they want attention, grr and play growl with each other, quietly whine or yowl when they need to pee, and make that curious purring growling “hrrrrmmm” sound when getting a lot of cuddles. One will also always respond to any sentence that uses the questioning sound structure with a specialized exhalation : Poof, Foop, or Poosh.

So, long story short, he purrs because he is happy, and you reward the noise.

He’s cat-atonic.

Thank ya, folks! Remember to tip your waitresses!

Could he be wheezing?

Nah Cats are evil

I have a small cocker spaniel that I got from the shelter and he does the same thing. I joke that he learned it from the cats because he sleeps in a pile with 4 of them but I think it’s just something he’s developed as he got older. It sounds like a purr but it doesn’t vibrate in the same way.

Bessie the Labrador does low, sonorous rhythmic growls when pleased. Or at least I think she’s pleased. It’s sometimes hard to tell.

If it’s a continuous vibratory sound that comes from deep within the animal I would investigate the cat-in-the-dog-suit angle more closely.

Sometimes when I pet my puppy (6 weeks) it makes a soft growl or purring sound, is that okay? Or am I bothering it? Also, my puppy’s legs and arms shiver and move when he sleeps. I was thinking it was running in its dream. And it looks like its suckling on something, perhaps its breast feeding in its dream? Are these things normal. I got my puppy a few days ago and it is separated from the mother. c:

omg yeah, my puppy does that too

Maybe you have a trans-species dog?

My cousin’s MIL used to purr after a large meal. I heard it myself on one occasion. I assumed it was something digestive.

Dogs know the advantage of being bilingual too!

I miss Bessie.

She doesn’t make purring noises, in fact vocally she is silent when I feel her purring, the same as I could feel it in my cats chest when she sat with me. I know nothing of biomechanics of cats vs dogs, but when she’s content, snuggled up half asleep, she purrs. I have yet to hear of another dog having a vibrational purr rather than a vocal one. Has anyone got any ideas why this is?